The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

I got Brian Talbot's Alice in Sunderland the other day; it looks at Lewis Carroll's connections with the north east of the country. Feels a bit like a GCSE history lesson in places but I read it cover to cover in a couple of sittings and its a big book, so I guess I enjoyed it. Probably of more interest to people who are familiar with the geographical area than just Alice in Wonderland fans but it is an impressive book whichever way you approach it from.

Anyone read the new "season 8" Buffy comics, well first 2 issues? What do you think?

Yeah, they’re OK. I didn’t really like how the TV show ended and I was kind of hoping this new series would go back to old-school Buffy but instead it moved the other way. The whole slayer-squad thing is pretty weak; none of the other slayers have any great personality but it was cool to see the old characters again and the ending of ep. 2 was good. I’ll stick with it.

joker.jpg

This is why the Joker is one of the worst written characters EVER.

So DC's psychotic bad ass - the one who killed Robin, crippled Bat-girl - is going to go after Jimmy fucking Olsen.

Talk about ambition.

Alex Ross and Mark Waid got in right in Kingdom Come, when he kills everyone in the Daily Planet.

DC sucks.

This is an amazing cover. Love it.

Johnny Craig was such a stylish artist, the cleanest of the EC crew. That gave his stories a surgical feel compared to the swampy, rotting work of Graham Ingels or the grotesques of Jack Davis. So he was very good for stories that involved sharp-dressed people, well, dissecting each other. That's the cover story for "And All Through the House", in which the wife actually kills her husband, and is then terrorised by an escaped lunatic dressed as Santa Claus. The story was used in the Tales from the Crypt film by Amicus (with Joan Collins as the wife) in the 70s, and then later in the TftC TV series, less effectively (but it's still a good result).

Craig created plenty of classic EC covers, including ones that played an important role in the senate hearings on horror comics. Two great examples can be found at http://lambiek.net/artists/c/craig.htm. The subway cover is amazing stuff.

And check it out, here's a

Doug Hembeck recreation of the above.

Ok fellas I wonder if anyone can recommend me a good comic series to get into. I've read pretty much all Alan Moore's stuff and loved that, read all the Preacher series and loved that too. Sin City as well, in fact a lot of Frank Miller's stuff. I've been working my way through 100 bullets and quite enjoying that although it can be a bit hit and miss. There are others I've read too but they're probably the main ones. Anyway can anyone recommend me another good series to get into. I'm looking for stuff thats not superhero really although I've read a lot of Batman most other Superher stuff I don't really care for. I feel the need to spend lots of money buying graphic novels from Amazon when I get paid on Firday.

Predictably, my first recommendation would have to be Sleeper. It is superhero based, but it's more of a spy comic than anything else. The writing in it is amazing. Queen and Country is another cracking spy story, that's quite old now, so their are plenty of trades to work through. Y The Last Man is another excellent book too, again with a fairly large back catalog of trades to get through. I also really enjoyed Losers, but I think other people had mixed feelings about it. This is a bit jumbled as things keep occuring to me, but Stray Bullets is also ace

DMZ, Criminal and the Exterminators are three more recent titles that you could catch up on too....

I'll post more if I can think of any, but that should keep you ticking along in the meantime ^_^

Predictably, my first recommendation would have to be Sleeper. It's is superhero based, but it's more of a spy comic than anything else. The writing in it is amazing. Queen and Country is another cracking spy story, that's quite old now, so their are plenty of trades to work through. Y The Last Man is another excellent book too, again with a fairly large back catalog of trades to get through. I also really enjoyed Losers, but I think other people had mixed feelings about it. This is a bit jumbled as things keep occuring to me, but Stray Bullets is also ace

DMZ, Criminal and the Exterminators are three more recent titles that you could catch up on too....

I'll post more if I can think of any, but that should keep you ticking along in the meantime ^_^

Cool. I'll check them out and see what takes my fancy. I read the first Losers and while I enjoyed it I just thought it was too similar to a million films out there. Comics as a medium is brilliant as there's loads of stuff you can do that you can't do in any other medium so why make what should be a feature film as a comic book?

If you liked Preacher I’d suggest checking out Garth Ennis’ run on Hellblazer. I think it’s all been collected into trades. Dangerous Habits is the first story, a lot of the Constantine movie is based on it but that shouldn’t put you off. It’s one of my favourite Garth Ennis stories. Hellblazer gets really good when Steve Dillon takes over the art duties.

If you liked Preacher I’d suggest checking out Garth Ennis’ run on Hellblazer. I think it’s all been collected into trades. Dangerous Habits is the first story, a lot of the Constantine movie is based on it but that shouldn’t put you off. It’s one of my favourite Garth Ennis stories. Hellblazer gets really good when Steve Dillon takes over the art duties.

Oh yeah forgot to add that to the books I've read and loved. I did exactly as you said after working my weay through Preacher. Really enjoyed it and have read quite a number of Hellblazer by Ennis and a number of other authors as well. John Constantine is such an awesome character and thats what fucked me off so much about the film. They captured nothing of the chartacter ofther than the fact he smokes and wears a trench coat.

Predictably, my first recommendation would have to be Sleeper. It is superhero based, but it's more of a spy comic than anything else. The writing in it is amazing. Queen and Country is another cracking spy story, that's quite old now, so their are plenty of trades to work through. Y The Last Man is another excellent book too, again with a fairly large back catalog of trades to get through. I also really enjoyed Losers, but I think other people had mixed feelings about it. This is a bit jumbled as things keep occuring to me, but Stray Bullets is also ace

To be honest based on reviews on Amazon I'd say DMZ appeals the most. I like the conceopt. I think I may check that out.

Cool. I'll check them out and see what takes my fancy. I read the first Losers and while I enjoyed it I just thought it was too similar to a million films out there. Comics as a medium is brilliant as there's loads of stuff you can do that you can't do in any other medium so why make what should be a feature film as a comic book?

Try Scott Pilgrim - it's really heartwarming! The Old Boy series is good, despite the fact that I agree somewhat with what you theorise. Really though I tend to be one of those if-it's-good-why-not? kind of people. I enjoy films, I enjoy comics. Sometimes one version is better than the other, but it's a different kind of experience.

I recently read JLA: League of One.

(Reviews at The Fourth Rail and Silver Bullet Comics.)

jlawonderwomanyr9.jpg

It's Wonder Woman versus a dragon! What more do you want? ^_^

I haven't read many Wonder Woman stories, but I really enjoyed this. The plot is described in those links above...

The Oracle at Delphi (the figure from Greek myth, not to be confused with the JLA's ally, Barbara Gordon) delivers a prophecy unto the Amazonian princess named Diana, better known as Wonder Woman. She sees a dragon come to life, surrounded by gold and wreaking havoc in the world. And she sees the Justice League, successfully defeating the ancient evil... but to do so, they must pay the ultimate price. Diana is determined to save her friends, and so she sets out to entrap and delay them in order to allow her to face the dragon alone as a Justice League of one.

... so it's basically an excuse to see how she'd go about getting everyone else in the group out of the way, for their own good. Even Batman. ;)

The story is fun, but the real reason I liked it was because of the artwork. There are several well-known artists who do painted comics: Alex Ross, Dave McKean and David Mack come to mind. But the writer/artist of this story, Christopher Moeller, just as good - the action is very dynamic, the artwork is very detailed, and it's a lot more lifelike and less abstract than what I've seen by McKean and Mack.

Ok fellas I wonder if anyone can recommend me a good comic series to get into. I've read pretty much all Alan Moore's stuff and loved that, read all the Preacher series and loved that too. Sin City as well, in fact a lot of Frank Miller's stuff. I've been working my way through 100 bullets and quite enjoying that although it can be a bit hit and miss. There are others I've read too but they're probably the main ones. Anyway can anyone recommend me another good series to get into. I'm looking for stuff thats not superhero really although I've read a lot of Batman most other Superher stuff I don't really care for. I feel the need to spend lots of money buying graphic novels from Amazon when I get paid on Firday.

You could try Transmetroplitan by Warren Ellis. It's funny, political and dark, with fantastic art.

Also, I believe earlier in this thread I was bigging up Civil War. I've changed my mind. It's fucking shit.

I'm looking forward to the imminent release of Buddy Does Jersey , the second and final collection of Hate. Particularly interesting (to me) because when these were orginally published writer/artist Peter Bagge switched from a dirty black and white style to Archie-style flat blocks of bright colours. The change was quite controversial at the time (well, it seemed that way to me - the only comic-reading friends I had at the time were into stuff like The Punisher and X-Men so I never had anyone to chat with about the more independent side of comics) and this collection is reverting to black and white.

I frikkin' loved Hate and while I understand what Bagge was saying with the colours I always held the coloured versions in the kind of esteem as I did the colourised version of Night of the Living Dead. Imagine if Chester Brown had done Yummy Fur like Todd McFarlane. Not nice.

If you don't already then be sure to check out The Daily Cross Hatch.

Yup, looking forward to getting this as well (Amazon US has it for around a tenner if you factor in postage!). I love the colours though - but quite honestly it was always the stories of Buddy and Lisa which just always made me buy it as soon as it came out. And of course, we did have Stinky's death...which was really abrupt and freaky.

You could try Transmetroplitan by Warren Ellis. It's funny, political and dark, with fantastic art.

Also, I believe earlier in this thread I was bigging up Civil War. I've changed my mind. It's fucking shit.

Transmetropolitan looks quality. Thats what I'm going for I think. Now I have to wait till Payday to order some. Grrr

Steve Dillon's art is good, but he can only draw two faces – every male character basically looks exactly the same, as does every female character. I find it a bit annoying after a bit. You get really sick of him after a while.

SD has him limitations, no question. The reason I like his stuff is the same reason I like artists like Brain Bolland and Frank Quietly, the clarity. I liked the consistency of Jessie and Cassidy and all the rest; it made the story work as a ‘whole’, if you know what I mean. I felt big series like Sandman or The Invisibles suffered because of the constantly changing artist roster.

SD has him limitations, no question. The reason I like his stuff is the same reason I like artists like Brain Bolland and Frank Quietly, the clarity. I liked the consistency of Jessie and Cassidy and all the rest; it made the story work as a ‘whole’, if you know what I mean. I felt big series like Sandman or The Invisibles suffered because of the constantly changing artist roster.

Oh definitely. What he lacks in variety, he more than makes up in other respects. He draws fighting and action beautifully, and he's got good 'direction', in that characters are always very expressive. And it's great that Jesse et al are consistent over Preacher's run (although it's a bit weird looking back at the first few issues after reading the last few, as there is some development – Cassidy looks more like a crackhead in the early days).

I just find it hard to read other comics SD has drawn, because the characters just look like characters from Preacher. This especially annoyed me in Hellblazer, because I'm wondering why John Constantine's suddenly turned into Jesse Custer with a wig on.

I agree with you about The Invisibles as well, I can barely read the early issues because the art's so at odds with the later style. And so inferior, as well.

Actually, quick Hellblazer question – he's supposed to be a scouser, right? Is it just me who finds it difficult to 'hear' him speaking in a scouse accent when reading his dialogue? He always seems to settle into a cockney accent, given the way his speech is written.

Actually, quick Hellblazer question – he's supposed to be a scouser, right? Is it just me who finds it difficult to 'hear' him speaking in a scouse accent when reading his dialogue? He always seems to settle into a cockney accent, given the way his speech is written.

Yeah I always thought he was a cockney until he goes up to his family back in Liverpool in one book. Confusewd me too. I still read his as cockney though I think.

He's a scouser but he's been living in London for thirty years now and so has picked up a few colourful local expressions here and there.

I always assumed scouse was one of those accents that's completely bulletproof – you could put a scouser in Brooklyn for fifty years, and he'd still come out sounding like Jimmy Corkhill. -

The story is fun, but the real reason I liked it was because of the artwork. There are several well-known artists who do painted comics: Alex Ross, Dave McKean and David Mack come to mind. But the writer/artist of this story, Christopher Moeller, just as good - the action is very dynamic, the artwork is very detailed, and it's a lot more lifelike and less abstract than what I've seen by McKean and Mack.

Moeller is ace. Check out his SF series Iron Empires and Sheva's War for more painted goodness.

Where does one go for release info on comics? I'm patiently waiting for trades of Ultimate Spider-Man (Vol 17) and Squadron Supreme, but all I can see on Marvel's site and in shops are hardbacks. And my local comic shop knows nothing. So how do I find when they're due in paperback?

Try Scott Pilgrim - it's really heartwarming! The Old Boy series is good, despite the fact that I agree somewhat with what you theorise. Really though I tend to be one of those if-it's-good-why-not? kind of people. I enjoy films, I enjoy comics. Sometimes one version is better than the other, but it's a different kind of experience.

yeah, Scott Pilgrim is amaaaaazing! I'm hoping this year's installment comes out soon! :)