The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

Just an update for those who like Hate - I picked up Buddy Does Jersey from GOSH (in London, opp. British Museum) for £10 - fantastic bargin for a fantastic comic.

Another recommendation: you can get the entire Rob Walton Ragmop series in one lovely bundle. Highly recommended reading (very funny, lovely cartoony artwork)...albeit at £20. Still well worth anyone's money.

Just an update for those who like Hate - I picked up Buddy Does Jersey from GOSH (in London, opp. British Museum) for £10 - fantastic bargin for a fantastic comic.

Another recommendation: you can get the entire Rob Walton Ragmop series in one lovely bundle. Highly recommended reading (very funny, lovely cartoony artwork)...albeit at £20. Still well worth anyone's money.

I love that place. Although slightly pricey (well, compared to the internet), it has a really great selection. Last year when revising for my exams in the BM library I would pop in during my alotted lunch break and pick up a comic or two to read instead of revising. Also picked up signed copies of the first two Scott Pilgrims there!

I'm really liking Fables at the moment.

I love that place. Although slightly pricey (well, compared to the internet), it has a really great selection. Last year when revising for my exams in the BM library I would pop in during my alotted lunch break and pick up a comic or two to read instead of revising. Also picked up signed copies of the first two Scott Pilgrims there!

I'm really liking Fables at the moment.

I've been going to GOSH since I was about 8...so about 23 years! (eep)

It can be a wee bit more pricey it's true, but it's actually run by people who properly know the business. When I ran my comics business, they were some of the first people I talked to, to get info...specifically because I wanted more self-published stuff.

And it's because of GOSH that those Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers 'complete' volumes got published!

Which is nice.

Just popping in this thread to declare my love for a miniseries written by J.M. Dematteis; Brooklyn Dreams. For some reason i've read those few books a dozen times and they're still as fresh as when they were published. This story gives me the same kind of feeling i get when watching The Breakfast Club for the umpteenth time.

It's almost the same for the miniseries The Last One, even though that one is terribly emo, but still a great read.

brkdrm1.jpg

So I read the first issue of The Invisibles last night (a comic that I have had for years) and bloody enjoyed it. Researching what TPB to get is a minefield as there are so many of them. So is it worth getting and what TPB do I need (bearing in mind I'd like to conintue from the first issue providing its not crap and arn't interested in any later books people deem weak)?

I'm getting my Absolute Watchmen soon in June.

So I read the first issue of The Invisibles last night (a comic that I have had for years) and bloody enjoyed it. Researching what TPB to get is a minefield as there are so many of them. So is it worth getting and what TPB do I need (bearing in mind I'd like to conintue from the first issue providing its not crap and arn't interested in any later books people deem weak)?

I'm getting my Absolute Watchmen soon in June.

There's basically 3 volumes of The Invisibles story, totalling 7 tpb's. Start with 'Say You Want a Revolution', which is the very first one

Have a look here:- http://tplist.millarworld.net/index.html to find out the running order of the rest

New Hellboy out today! And the first 'proper' Hellboy not drawn by Mignola too - bit dubious about the idea of getting anyone, even as good an artist as Fegredo doing it.... and this one issue will probably be scrutinised more than any Hellboy in ages... but fair dues to him, Fegredo keeps it really close to Mignola's style (bit of a thankless job I suppose). I think it works. Actually there's a nice thing on the Dark Horse site showing how the pages were based on Mignola's thumbnails - http://www.darkhorse.com/downloads.php?did=615

Story's mostly set-up stuff so far, and it ties in a lot with older stories - but there are some nice touches that I didn't see coming, the thing with Hecate's name is the kind of cool trick I love the whole Hellboy world for.

And colouring's lovely as always.

Another five months to come which is the best part. Summer's a weird time to release a load of Hellboy stuff, all the same... it's way too bright outside to wallow in all this murky stuff

There's a trailer for a new comic by Bob Byrne here. He's done a rake of stuff locally, and a pretty hilarious thing called mbleh that got picked up by Diamond, but this is his Magnum Opus type thing. The first 53 pages are there in a PDF too.

I bought some stuff yesterday, here are my opinions:

Volume 1 of All Star Superman (issues 1 - 6) by Grant Morrison

A massive dissapointment. I thought all the ideas for weird, otherworldly stuff in the Fortress came off as a weak set of Warren Ellis ideas. I think the Authority just SMASHED IT as far as cool, otherworldly, spacey type ideas go. Also Superman's supporting cast seemed lame (as usual). The only two good episodes were the Lex one (a great character) and the Funeral in Smallville one. Both were quite good but seemed to fall short of the how good they could've,would've,should've been. I wont be buying Volume 2. I think Jeph Loeb is about the only writer who can write good Superman.

Batman 664 by Grant Morrison + Andy Kubert

In a word: awesome. Great pace, it had pretty much everything a batman comic should have. Hell its made 90% of all the Batman comics I read back in the day seem shit. I want a refund.

Buffy Season 8, issues 1-2, Whedon

Hmm. Felt a bit weird reading a Buffy story line in comic form. Its not bad, but it falls quite short of the TV series. No doubt due to the form (single issues of a comic series) vs a TV episode. Thinking about it, its unreasonable to expect a single issue of a comic series to provide the same complete story as a single episode of a TV series. But that kind of was my expectation.

More importantly: when is this slacker Whedon going to finish off his Astonishing X-Men run? I'm still waiting so I can buy great big hardback volume 2 collection to see just how BAD emma frost has been.

Where do you guys get your comics from?

I've got right into the Walking Dead via scans, which is naughty I know, but I loved it so much I simply have to get bang up to date with it. I need to get the most recent issues, any good online stores?

Nice to see the front of the thread back.

Spent Saturday at the Bristol Comic Expo - good fun. Went to the talks from DC and (er...) Vertigo as well as seeing a bit of a couple more. They were pretty interesting, but mostly were "Er...we can't speak about that" but the hour seemed to pass very quickly. In terms of purchases I was looking at a Mike Grell - Green Arrow mini-series for a couple of quid and the vendor offered me the whole eighty issue run for a tenner. Which I bought and then cut back my spending as I was suddenly carrying eighty comics. Ended up just buying a couple of weeklies, 3 volumes of odd little manga title "Luftwaffe 1946" for £2.30 and a few heroclix (anyone else play that?).

Also had a nice chat with Mr. Kieron Gillen about Phonogram. Got the last issue from him, so I'll post some proper thoughts about that when I've read it.

Somewhere along the line I have more or less decided I'm going to launch a new website about comics. If you've ever read Disposable Media I did a bit of writing about comics there and enjoyed it (and sort of related my favourite page I got to contribute to was the Doormat of the music section, reviewing things that have been sent in which isn't a million miles off where I'd be aiming this little project.) I'd be covering everything but with a fair focus on all the little UK indy folk that were around the expo that I had never heard of and couldn't afford to try when I knew nothing about them but wanted to. So I want to do a little bit of brain picking:

Is there a site already going with that focus? (This might not stop me...)

Is there anything particular you'd like to see from such a site?

Would any of you lot want to write for it? I doubt it'll ever make a profit, but all the creators/publishers I spoke to about it said they'd be delighted to send comics out so I've got a whole list of email addresses.

I've got the code from NeverTheFirst (see sig) all made which wouldn't take much adapting at all - I could probably have a site up and running by the end of the week if I wanted to. Sure, it wouldn't be perfect, but easily good enough and I reckon it'd be thoroughly enjoyable. Plus I've got the script for a little comic strip lurking around my hard-drive somewhere, so it'd be somewhere to host that too.

Where do you guys get your comics from?

I've got right into the Walking Dead via scans, which is naughty I know, but I loved it so much I simply have to get bang up to date with it. I need to get the most recent issues, any good online stores?

Individual comics are always a pain to buy online to be honest - eBay is fine for individual issues but postage soon racks up if you're wanting three or four. But most online stores tend to charge a high/flat postage rate from the ones I've seen. I've tried to buy things a couple of times, but usually end up giving up or just getting them from a proper shop. Find your local comic book shop and try there first.

For Graphic Novels and trade paperbacks, as obvious as it might sound, Amazon is usually as good as (and often better) anywhere else.

I'd be more than happy to write for a comics site, especially if it's run by you, but my increasingly cranky nature means you'd probably only want me reviewing reprinted stuff from fifty or more years ago. Which I'd be happy to do, of course, though really I'm not quite that bad yet, I keep an eye on small press stuff and publishers like Drawn & Quarterly and Fantagraphics. So if you need a limp arthouse correspondent, I may be your "man". I could waffle on for pages about stuff like the EC reprints, as this thread presumably demonstrates.

Don't let my lack of input to Disposable Media put you off, because unlike video games I do actually enjoy comics.

I'd be more than happy to write for a comics site, especially if it's run by you

:lol:

You're hired*.

but my increasingly cranky nature means you'd probably only want me reviewing reprinted stuff from fifty or more years ago. Which I'd be happy to do, of course, though really I'm not quite that bad yet, I keep an eye on small press stuff and publishers like Drawn & Quarterly and Fantagraphics. So if you need a limp arthouse correspondent, I may be your "man". I could waffle on for pages about stuff like the EC reprints, as this thread presumably demonstrates.

I'm really going to hope to cover everything and anything, so not just reprinted fifty year old comics but any fifty year old comics if it is an interesting read. I really don't want to pigeon hole it and getting writers with different interests is the best way to do that. I'm sure you will be allowed to be cantankerous about recent stuff if you want too...

Don't let my lack of input to Disposable Media put you off, because unlike video games I do actually enjoy comics.

Meh, it happens. I'm not doing anything else there now anyway so I really can't bring myself to care either...

*Not that what you're being hired for even has a name yet** but y'know. I'll definitely be in touch when the ball is officially rolling. Hopefully the very near future.

**Suggestions on a postcard.

Rev, I'm going to sound like a broken record, but their is a site that to me, is the epitome of everything I want from a comic book site-

http://www.ninthart.com/

It wrapped up a while ago sadly :lol:, but if you were to do something like that I'd be delighted. I can't find anything out there like this (though i may not be looking hard enough) so I think this would be a good site to take influences from. I'd love to write for you as well, but I'm really bad at writing.

Good luck if you do go ahead with it though.

I get most of my comics news from The Beat and Eddie Campbell's blog. Campbell posts regularly and he links to all manner of comics-related matters - recently there was an interesting discussion on Vince Colletta (much-vilified Kirby inker) that spilled onto several other sites. If you dig through his blog you'll find lots of interesting stuff on From Hell - script-to-page comparisons, reminisces, source photos and so on. And there's plenty more besides, he blogs as well as he writes and draws. Highly recommended. Today he has photos from Alan Moore's wedding on Saturday. We were hoping we might stumble across it so we could ask him to sign some Swamp Things rather than the register, but that didn't happen. It was where we thought it would be, though.

Rev, I'm going to sound like a broken record, but their is a site that to me, is the epitome of everything I want from a comic book site-

http://www.ninthart.com/

It wrapped up a while ago sadly :lol:, but if you were to do something like that I'd be delighted. I can't find anything out there like this (though i may not be looking hard enough) so I think this would be a good site to take influences from. I'd love to write for you as well, but I'm really bad at writing.

Good luck if you do go ahead with it though.

I used to be a regular reader of NinthArt, it was a really good website. I don't think anything I'm in charge of will come out as wordy or analytical as NinthArt sometimes was, it just isn't me, but there are some things I'd like to "influence me", like the Top 9's and not shying away from having proper articles and interviews. After all, it seems more likely that more people who read for a hobby will stick around and read something longer than a gamer on a games site will...makes them worth writing that little bit more.

But I really like the idea of making tiny comics a little more visible, even if only to a very small extent. Case in point - http://www.myspace.com/guide_dog_detective which I picked up t'other day...the free sample was completely silent apart from some symbols that I didn't follow (they sensibly seem to have shot with words in the proper issues by the looks of it) but that gave it an odd kind of charm. And as far as line-drawings of slightly grumpy guide-dog detectives go, it excelled. And I can be certain I'd never have come across it if I hadn't been asking folk for email addresses...and while it wasn't perfect it is a nice change of pace from whatever DC super-heroes I'm reading this week. Except Detective Chimp, obviously.

I was looking at a Mike Grell - Green Arrow mini-series for a couple of quid and the vendor offered me the whole eighty issue run for a tenner. Which I bought

Well done that man, one of my favourite superhero runs ever that is. In fact, you've just inpsired me to dig mine out and read them too :lol:

Well done that man, one of my favourite superhero runs ever that is. In fact, you've just inpsired me to dig mine out and read them too :lol:

I'd read Longbow hunters and a couple mid-run, but most of it is completely new to me. It's a bit odd really as I've read a fair few of the really early ones, all of (the fantastic) GA/GL and I own every issue of the current run but missed that in the middle.

I really couldn't say no. Read the first 3 issues so far and it is already off to a flying start. Thoroughly looking forward to the rest of it. (Although I was mildly narked at a 100 pound bow not being able to get through chainmail from about 10 yards away...)

Grell's Green Arrow was just off-centre in the DC censorship debate in the late 80s - Rick Veitch and Michael Zulli created a Swamp Thing story in which the character encountered Christ on the cross. By all accounts it was a very tasteful and reverent treatment, but DC axed it. Veitch left, and that was that. The Comics Journal covered the story and presented a splash page from a Green Arrow published at the same time, in which a prostitute had been killed and hung up cruciform on crossbeams. It nicely summed up the post-Moore-and-Miller problems with DC and their screwed-up definition of 'mature' content. I've got the CJ issue somewhere upstairs, I browsed through it last year.

From the mini-arguement at the Vertigo panel at the Bristol Comic Expo, it sounds like little has changed. Panels containing nudity in one Vertigo comic (which it was escapes me) were being censored, which was OK with the artist until Brian Vaughn started showing off that people should buy a forthcoming Y: The Last Man because it contains swathes of gratuitous nudity.

They decided Vertigo didn't allow tasteful nudity, only gratuitous nudity.

From a recent link on boing-boing

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/05/11/walki...ad_volume_.html

I found out about 'The Walking Dead'. Managed to go into my local comic store in Clapham and buy all 6 volumes in one go, I finished them all within 4 nights. Simply my dream 'comic' and scenario.

Problem is now im all done, I know nothing about comics, how long do they ususally take before the next issue(s) and volumes? we talking months?

Also any other suggestions for similar apocalyptic style comics? (probably doesnt narrow it down a lot)

As far as I can tell it is meant to be monthly but never quite makes it. Number 37 is out now but it is going to be at least six months before another whole volume is out. Such is the joy of comics.

Walking Dead is a little bit unique really - it is certainly really good - and I'm not too sure what to recommend next. I'd put money on you enjoying Preacher if you like walking dead - it doesn't have anything in common with it really (it certainly doesn't pretend to be serious for a start) but I think it might appeal.

If your comic book store manager has any sense he'd not only recommend you something but let you have a good read of it too before buying it.

Huzzah! A sixth Walking Dead volume slipped me by - I just haven't been into GOSH in ages. That's brilliant news, can't wait to read it.

PS. Rev, I'd also be interested in writing for your site if you ever get around to it.

PS. Rev, I'd also be interested in writing for your site if you ever get around to it.

Excellent.

It really won't be much work getting it set-up, I'll only be subtly changing colours and things of NeverTheFirst which is easy enough. Just finding time to write some things and advertise it will be the only hold-ups. It'll certainly be near future though as I got a bunch of email addresses while in Bristol and I don't want them all to have given up and disappeared by the time I get around to contacting them.

As far as I can tell it is meant to be monthly but never quite makes it. Number 37 is out now but it is going to be at least six months before another whole volume is out. Such is the joy of comics.

Walking Dead is a little bit unique really - it is certainly really good - and I'm not too sure what to recommend next. I'd put money on you enjoying Preacher if you like walking dead - it doesn't have anything in common with it really (it certainly doesn't pretend to be serious for a start) but I think it might appeal.

6 months, crap. Absolutely loved Walking Dead...will check out Preacher.

Ultimates #13 is probably the most god awfully vulgar thing I've ever seen in my life.

I rather liked Ultimates #13, I was stunned to find that it was finally out, Lets hope Jeph Loeb is quicker than Millar, rather partial to Moon Knight at the mo too...

I must restart on The Walking Dead, I have the first 17 issues then stopped for some silly reason, I may have to start collecting them in TPB, it may be cheaper, but the collector in me.....

EDIT Stephen Kings' The Dark Tower is excellent, the artwork awesome...