The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

Glad you enjoyed it, however, after reading The Dark Knight Returns, please, no matter how sorely tempted you become, don't be fooled into reading the sequel, The Dark Knight Strikes Again.

Is there a new version of Year One out then? I checked and the version I had was £8.99 and had no bonus strips. :S

I don't know if it's new or not. The strips are one page each, telling how Miller and the artists got into Batman and what they see in him.

I think I may have an American version as there's no price for Britain on the barcode. Got it from Area 51 on the Gloucester Road, Bristol. Cool little place. :unsure:

EDIT: Actually, I've just seen it on Amazon at £6.99 (£8.99 RRP). Still a cool little place, if slightly dear.

Glad you enjoyed it, however, after reading The Dark Knight Returns, please, no matter how sorely tempted you become, don't be fooled into reading the sequel, The Dark Knight Strikes Again.

Is there a new version of Year One out then? I checked and the version I had was £8.99 and had no bonus strips. :S

Yep - a new version came out earlier this year. As Redlander says, it's a pretty cheap paperback (thankfully).

IMHO The Dark Knight Strikes Again isn't quite as bad as its reputation suggests. Don't get me wrong - it's much worse than DKR which is a bona fide changed-the-medium classic - but it's not completely terrible either. The Absolute Dark Knight is a fantastic, if expensive, way of checking them both out.

Otherwise, The Killing Joke is well worth a read. I think it's reprinted in last year's 'DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore' TPB which also has lots of other decent stuff too so I'd recommend checking it out that way. I never liked Hush or The Long Halloween that much but they're usually on peopls's recommended Batman list too.

So I bought the latest Powers trades to catch up with WTF is going on in that book. The trades is question being FOREVER, LEGENDS and PSYCHOTIC.

All pretty dissapointing really - especially compared to the earlier stuff like "Who Killed Retro Girl".

Still the monkey issue was just a work of genius. Sick, twisted and perverted genius. And I dont believe they had a script for that issue at all.

• 2 weeks later...
Interesting programs starting tonight on BBC4 - "The Comics Britannia" season.

Last night's was interesting. I didn't know IPC were cynically churning out Beano/Dandy rip-offs. I rather liked Buster. Shame they didn't mention Oink, the kid's predecessor to Viz.

Roy of the Rovers was my favorite though, which is part of the next programme as the series grows up.

Yeah I enjoyed the programme too.

I was excited to see a Garth Ennis Battler Briton book in the graphic novels bit in my Waterstones the other day. I only had one BB comic when I was a kid but I read it about a million times because I loved all that Spitfire and Hurricane stuff.

Would anyone recommend the Rex Mundi collections? I'm not really into DaVinci code stuff (well, I mean, I'm not into The Davinci Code) but the pictures looked lovely when I had a flick through it the other day and it does seem quite well regarded.

I'd just finished Batman:NML parts 1, 3, and 4, and thought I'd try Arkham Asylum...

IT'S RUBBISH!

disappointed/10

Its not one of Grant Morrisons best but good lord man what about the Artwork. Thats far from rubbish. One thing that surprised me about Last nights Documentary was how old Kevin O'Neill is.

I mean the man gave us Nemesis and Marshall Law yet he looks like my gramps :D

I love Arkham Asylum. At a time when Batman was still struggling under the weight of Dark Knight and Killing Joke, AA decided to head off in an entirely different direction. As per Morrison's work at the time every page was filled with about a hundred references to other books, films, famous figures and so on, but that density is part of its charm. Stuff like AA, Doom Patrol and various Morrison interviews at the time led me to no end of fascinating material. Having said that, the anniversary edition, with its selection of preparatory artwork, makes it clear how much McKean brought to the project. But compared with contemporary offerings like The Cult or A Death in the Family, there was no contest. Well, that's not saying much, but I think it stands up today, I can always reread it and enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped reading comics not long after the whole Superman death thing and Batman's Knightfall but I'm interested in picking up a few of the classics, can anyone tell me what the difference is between these two editions of Watchmen? One's got about 100 more pages but I'm fucked if I can find out anything more than that.

I stopped reading comics not long after the whole Superman death thing and Batman's Knightfall but I'm interested in picking up a few of the classics, can anyone tell me what the difference is between these two editions of Watchmen? One's got about 100 more pages but I'm fucked if I can find out anything more than that.

I think you've just got the UK and US editions there...

Not a lot of difference, I'd go for the cheapest

Then when you fall in love with it, you can track down the Oversized, Hardcover, Slipcased, Sexy, Spunktastic Absolute Edition

I always saw copies of The Darkness and Witchblade around when I was younger - they were quite widespread, not just confined to comic book stores here but also in places like Tateshopper and even Electronics Boutique/Future Zone. I don't know much about the story, but the release of the game has lately reminded me of seeing those comics in town and made me curious. It looks like Spawn only perhaps more grounded and without any of the convoluted crap that's built up (EYE EMM OH) in Spawn, and that seems like a good thing.

Bearing in mind that I was never hugely into comics despite being a big Marvel and DC fan (Sorry, no subtle underdog masterpieces for me!) - I used to favour more grounded X-Men without any of the alien bollocks, and stuff like the Wolverine solo comics. The only series I liked in years was 2003's New Mutants, which threatened to get me into comics again, perhaps more than ever before it changed to New X Men: Academy X and went shit. Basically the reason I'm selective about my comics is the story, just like with TV or film, but maybe I'm much more strict with comics.

Anyway, all that in mind, they're bringing out a Darkness compendium in two months, comprising the first 40+ issues. I'll have some money to spare, but would it be worth gambling £50 on it?

Ta!

• 3 weeks later...

Possibly the last translated manga published in comic format, Blade of the Immortal will soon be trade paper back only. There's a good piece over at ainitcool Link I've been buying this since issue #1 over ten years ago (longer than I've known any of my friends) and the monthly trip to the comic shop had become something of a tradition. Fair play to Dark horse for keeping it going this long and for maintaining a high quality during that time.

Aren't Dark Horse just fantastic? I've managed to fulfil my desire to go to comic shops regularly and pick up on stuff, and the greatest lesson I've learned is to trust Dark Horse. I got Living With The Dead and Action Comics this week, the Superman story is pretty good but the adverts just drag you right out of it, page after page. LWTD is cracking, a lovely piece with a dark humour running through it. I'm going to have to pick up Umbrella Academy too, that looks nice.

I can't face the adverts any more, that 6 page pile of shit for Hotdogs DC ran in the middle for months pushed me over the edge. I'll still buy Vertigo/Wildstorm stuff which doesn't tend to be as bad but all the main DCU comics have been devalued so much by their nonsense that I don't see any problem in pirating the lot. They clearly don't care about their product other than as a vector for marketing shit to children, so why should I pay for it? Same for Marvel, too many ads for Wolverine underpants.

I can't face the adverts any more, that 6 page pile of shit for Hotdogs DC ran in the middle for months pushed me over the edge. I'll still buy Vertigo/Wildstorm stuff which doesn't tend to be as bad but all the main DCU comics have been devalued so much by their nonsense that I don't see any problem in pirating the lot. They clearly don't care about their product other than as a vector for marketing shit to children, so why should I pay for it? Same for Marvel, too many ads for Wolverine underpants.

Yeah, I picked up the first two Iron Man: Enter The Mandarin issues yesterday, there's a shitload of adverts for pyjamas.

I want Iron Man pyjamas. :wub:

It looks like it. I couldn't work up the nerve to fork out £65 though.

Yeah, the price is putting me off a bit too. Can anyone recommend anywhere cheap and reliable for ordering trades? I usually end up buying them from my local comic shop or Waterstones (expensive but convenient) or online from Amazon UK or eBay.

I guess what I'd like is a UK or European version of somewhere like instocktrades.com. Forbiddenplanet.com tends to be cheaper than most other places I've browsed and seems to claim that pretty much everything I look at is in stock...anyone have any experience with them?

Yeah, the price is putting me off a bit too. Can anyone recommend anywhere cheap and reliable for ordering trades? I usually end up buying them from my local comic shop or Waterstones (expensive but convenient) or online from Amazon UK or eBay.

I guess what I'd like is a UK or European version of somewhere like instocktrades.com. Forbiddenplanet.com tends to be cheaper than most other places I've browsed and seems to claim that pretty much everything I look at is in stock...anyone have any experience with them?

Of a similar ilk, is the UK based forum for comics with a trading folder? That'd be cool.

My official title of comics editor of Disposable Media makes the £20 weekly habit feel insuffecient, somehow.

I'm starting to think about what I want for christmas guys, can someone compile me a list of absolute classic TPBs that no self-respecting comics fan can do without?

Have a browse through these threads (and this one!). The "absolute classics" get mentioned quite often. ;)

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?showtopic=154870

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?showtopic=50706

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?showtopic=42088