The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

I'm starting to think about what I want for christmas guys, can someone compile me a list of absolute classic TPBs that no self-respecting comics fan can do without?

I know there's a few threads to trawl through but you aside from the ones discussed at great length here, you should also try finding the New X-Men Omnibus (which I got last year). A gargantuan tome which collects Grant Morrison's highly-acclaimed run on the title. The art is a bit jarring since it changes with each arc (and it's very obvious which ones were done under an extremely tight deadline) but after years in the wilderness trading off hugh swathes of continuity, New X-Men was a breath of fresh air and unless you're pushed toward the Whedon trades that follow (in Astonishing X-Men, its spiritual successor), I consider it the last word on the X-comics.

It looks like it. I couldn't work up the nerve to fork out £65 though. I ended up with Justice Vol.3, the new volume of Oldboy and spent the rest of my money on Zelda DS. The Absolute editions will have to wait for another day it seems.

£45 on amazon... I'll see if I can wrangle it for christmas, I think.

I picked up the following today:

All Star Batman - more crap dialogue + an alleged story by Frank Miller. But no one is buying it for that. Jim Lee shows us why he is THE MASTER yet again.

Powers: Cosmic trade - a much better collection and a kind of return to form from the previous one. Funny too, although I wonder if the trades are censored. I assume in the original comics Deena and Walker actually say 'cunt' not 'c-word'. Also I think they might have censored the SPACE VAGINA (I kid you not).

Batman #thelatest - Wrap up to Morrison's latest story line, league of bat-men or whatever. Pretty good, although I have to say the sheer number of pretty simillar characters made things a bit confusing. Maybe I just need to read it all again. Still the Black Glove has great potential.

Advantage: Morrison.

I've read Watchmen and Miracleman, I'm looking for something along those lines. Sort of 'realistic' superhero shenanigans.

Marvels is the story of the birth of the Marvel universe as seen through the eyes of a newspaper photographer and is very much a 'realistic' take, replete with Alex Ross art, beautiful stuff (although I know some people don't rate him)

Hmm. You might like Astrocity.

Yeah, it's really good. Also the first couple of Supreme Power trades are good, and the first Top Ten by Alan Moore maybe? And the league of extraordinary gentlemen of course. And Marshall Law. I'll stop now.

I just watched that Ditko thing Jonathan Ross did, really very enjoyable. What a nutbar Ditko is. Mr A looks wild, i'd love to read it just for the sheer horror of the Ayn Rand insanity.

I've done a bit of research and Astro City looks amazing.

Did Alex Ross just do the covers or does he do the art for it too?

Also, whats Powers like?

Ross just did the covers, but the internal art is nice enough also.

Powers is fun and gritty. Its about a cop department (specifically 2 cops) whose mandate is to look into Powers related crimes (superheroes innit). I recommend it. Check out the Who Killed Retro Girl? trade paperback. Oh and you can get a taster at: http://hiddenrobot.com/POWERS/

soon as I find a copy of Alamo...

Anyway, was reading the FF:Civil War book at lunch time. Meh.

Same goes for all of Civil War to be honest. Except for them actually leaving a character dead at the end. Which was nice.

Hate the Moon Knight series Marvel are running currently. So boring.

Same goes for all of Civil War to be honest. Except for them actually leaving a character dead at the end. Which was nice.

Hate the Moon Knight series Marvel are running currently. So boring.

I read the spider man one and to my amazement I actually liked it. I was amazed because I think Spider man is a utter twat and the worst super hero out there full of quips and smart comments I wish Batman would kick the shit out of him.

I read the spider man one and to my amazement I actually liked it. I was amazed because I think Spider man is a utter twat and the worst super hero out there full of quips and smart comments I wish Batman would kick the shit out of him.

Say what you want, but the man got the shags in with Gwen Stacey, the Black Cat and Mary Jane.

That, and for 50+ years he's been getting away with taking incredibly good shots of himself as SM, and no-one's thought anything of it.

Daily Bugle journos are crap.

Literally this issue, the cover of it is the first time it has been used as far as I know. Although I won't know as it was out of stock at my local...

The whole of the Sinestro Corps war has been really good so far, actually. Bit off with Kyle/Ion/Parallax but the rest of it has been great.

"Officially" it's to show he's matured.

Unofficially - copyright issues.

NRAMA: Your Superman Prime one-shot was originally called the Anti-Monitor Special.

GJ: They only solicited it as that because we wanted to delay the name being revealed for as long as we could.

NRAMA: The “Superman Prime” name as opposed to being “Superboy” Prime?

GJ: Yeah. Obviously, there are legal things going on, but really this is a rites of passage issue. There’s a reason “boy” becomes “man” – Prime looks at another boy who became a man who didn’t fair as well.

Who's the other boy? The Boy Wonder?

Harry Potter?

I assume your asking about the "Superboy" issues...if not...sorry :P

Legal status

The Superboy character is currently the subject of a legal battle between Time Warner, the owner of DC Comics, and the estate of Jerry Siegel. The Siegel estate claims that the original "Superboy" character published by DC Comics is an independent creation that used ideas from Jerry Siegel's original rejected pitch and was created without his consent.[35]

On April 4, 2006, Federal judge Ronald S. W. Lew issued a summary judgment ruling that Jerry Siegel's heirs had the right to revoke their copyright assignment to Superboy and had successfully reclaimed the trademark to the name as of November 17, 2004. Warner Bros. replied that it "respectfully disagrees" with the ruling and will appeal.[36] Since the ruling, the name "Superboy" has rarely been used in print to refer to any version of the character.

On July 27, 2007, the courts ruled in favor of Warner Bros' decision to appeal the previous ruling and dismissed some of the Siegel estate's claims about the Superboy character.[37][1] The trial for the dispute over the Superman copyright is expected to begin on January 28, 2008, with the trial for the Superboy copyright dispute to begin some time afterwards.[38][39]

The legal dispute has affected DC Comics' treatment of the various incarnations of Superboy, such as in the Teen Titans: Secret Origins back-up story in the weekly 52 limited series, where an illustration of Superboy was changed into Wonder Girl.[40]

It's why "Superboy" has pretty much been only refer to as "Conner" since his death.

soon as I find a copy of Alamo...

Anyway, was reading the FF:Civil War book at lunch time. Meh.

then I read X-Men: Civil War and Iron Man: Civil War... probably in the wrong order, but hey, it's all shit.

How many books are there, and what IS the right order?

Just thought I should let you know our Waterstones (so probably most of them) are doing 3 for 2 on graphics novels at the moment, as they do from time to time. If anyone is near Ipswich now is the time to stock up on missing volumes of Sandman/Preacher/Alan Moore classics, as they are pretty well stocked on the mainstays.

I got Garth Ennis's Battler Britton (because I loved the originals when I was a kid, and love Ennis ... so I am looking forward to reading this) and the first Rick Veitch volume of Swamp Thing which I have never read, and volume 2 of The Walking Dead.

then I read X-Men: Civil War and Iron Man: Civil War... probably in the wrong order, but hey, it's all shit.

How many books are there, and what IS the right order?

Millions, from Wikipedia:

* Straczynski, J. Michael; Bendis, Brian Michael (February 2007). The Road To Civil War, Illustrated by Alex Maleev, Marvel. ISBN 0785119744.

* Bendis, Brian Michael (February 2007). New Avengers Vol 5: Civil War, Illustrated by Howard Chaykin, Olivier Coipel, Marvel. ISBN 0785122427.

* Reed, Brian (March 2007). Ms. Marvel Vol 2: Civil War, Illustrated by Roberto De La Torre, Mike Wieringo, Marvel. ISBN 0785123040.

* Gray, Justin; Palmiotti, Jimmy (April 2007). Heroes for Hire Vol 1: Civil War, Illustrated by Billy Tucci, Marvel. ISBN 0785123628.

* Millar, Mark (April 2007). Civil War TPB, Illustrated by Steve McNiven, Marvel. ISBN 078512179X.

* Nicieza, Fabian (April 2007). Civil War: Thunderbolts, Illustrated by Tom Grummett, Marvel. ISBN 0785119477.

* Jenkins, Paul (April 2007). Civil War: Front Line, Book 1, Illustrated by Ramon F. Bachs, Marvel. ISBN 0785123121.

* Straczynski, J. Michael (April 2007). Civil War: Amazing Spider-Man, Illustrated by Ron Garney, Marvel. ISBN 0785122370.

* Hine, David (April 2007). Civil War: X-Men, Illustrated by Yanick Paquette, Marvel. ISBN 078512313X.

* Fraction, Matt (April 2007). Punisher War Journal Vol 1: Civil War, Illustrated by Ariel Olivetti, Marvel. ISBN 0785127755.

* Straczynski, J. Michael (April 2007). Civil War: Fantastic Four, Illustrated by Mike McKone, Marvel. ISBN 0785122273.

* Wells, Zeb (May 2007). Civil War: Young Avengers and Runaways, Illustrated by Stefano Caselli, Marvel. ISBN 0785123172.

* Guggenheim, Marc (May 2007). Civil War: Wolverine, Illustrated by Humberto Ramos, Marvel. ISBN 0785119809.

* Brubaker, Ed (May 2007). Civil War: Captain America, Illustrated by Mike Perkins, Lee Weeks, Marvel. ISBN 0785127984.

* Aguirre-Sacasa, Roberto (May 2007). Civil War: Peter Parker, Spider-Man, Illustrated by Clayton Crain, Angel Medina, Marvel. ISBN 0785121897.

* Jenkins, Paul (May 2007). Civil War: Front Line, Book 2, Illustrated by Ramon F. Bachs, Steve Lieber, Marvel. ISBN 0785124691.

* David, Peter; Nicieza, Fabian (May 2007). Civil War: X-Men Universe, Illustrated by Dennis Calero, Staz Johnson, Marvel. ISBN 0785122435.

* Tieri, Frank (May 2007). Civil War: War Crimes, Illustrated by Staz Johnson, Marvel. ISBN 078512652X.

* Hudlin, Reginald (May 2007). Black Panther: Civil War, Illustrated by Scot Eaton, Manuel Garcia, Koi Turnbull, Marvel. ISBN 0785122354.

* Biggs, Chris; Byrd, Ronald; Carter, Madison; David, Peter; Fichera, Mike; Flamini, Anthony; Gray, Justin; Guggenheim, Marc; Hine, David; Hoskin, Michael; McLauchlin, Jim; O'English, Mark; Reed, Brian; Slott, Dan; Straczynski, J. Michael; Thomas, John Rhett; Trodglen, Dugan; Vandal, Stuart; Wells, Zeb; York, Jeph (May 2007). Civil War Companion, Illustrated by Scott Kolins, Mike Mayhew, Marvel. ISBN 0785125760.

* Brubaker, Ed; Slott, Dan; Jenkins, Paul; Fraction, Matt; Oeming, Michael Avon (June 2007). Civil War: Marvel Universe, Illustrated by Lee Weeks, Tom Raney, Paul Smith, Leinil Francis Yu, David Aja, Phil Hester, Scott Kolins, Ty Templeton, Marvel. ISBN 0785124705.

* Brubaker, Ed; Knauf, Charlie; Knauf, Daniel; Hudlin, Reginald (June 2007). Civil War: Iron Man, Illustrated by Mike Perkins, Marvel. ISBN 0785123148.

The ones in bold are the ones to read for it to make sense.

And it was all quite crap anyway.