The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

It started well, got shit, and the ending put me off Marvel comics for life. Except the Punisher.

It was a complete abortion of a storyline/characterisation and generally highlights the problem at Marvel these days in most of they're titles (it's not just Marvel)

They decide the story they want to write and then change established characters to fit it, rather then letting the storyline stem from the already defined characters.

Bendis is the worst. He can tell good storyline, but he can't work with pre-established characters. When he's got free reign over new creations (e.g. Ultimate Spidey Verse, Alias etc) he's brilliant. He doesn't work well with pre-established characters though.

Edit - Please tell me you read Annihilation? It was the smaller even at the same time that was 100million times better than Civil War. It also led to Nova (Marvels best ongoing right now) and Annihilation: Conquest (which is gearing up to be a good event. It's better than "Endangered Species" ). I'd recommend X-Factor too.

Edit - Please tell me you read Annihilation? It was the smaller even at the same time that was 100million times better than Civil War. It also led to Nova (Marvels best ongoing right now) and Annihilation: Conquest (which is gearing up to be a good event. It's better than "Endangered Species" ). I'd recommend X-Factor too.

I had X Factor Recommended to me the other week, and was most pleased to discover the team appears exactly the same as it was in the mid 90's. Strong Guy rules.

I had X Factor Recommended to me the other week, and was most pleased to discover the team appears exactly the same as it was in the mid 90's. Strong Guy rules.

Have you read Madrox? It's the mini that preceded this run.

It's a good book, I'm not as keen on the most recent arc (and it appears about to get caught up in Messiah Complex, the X-man cross over). It ties in nicely with Son of M :lol:

It started well, got shit, and the ending put me off Marvel comics for life. Except the Punisher.

I've never been too into Marvel but the Ultimates are the fucking shit! a bit more realistic than the usual everyone having a massive super powers jerk off.

Splashed out for myself and got 30 days of night (a tad short but good) and 'Y' the last man which I thought was just plain super. what is that walking dead like? 'cause I was very tempted to get that too, maybe next week...I think I'm addicted

I've never been too into Marvel but the Ultimates are the fucking shit! a bit more realistic than the usual everyone having a massive super powers jerk off.

Splashed out for myself and got 30 days of night (a tad short but good) and 'Y' the last man which I thought was just plain super. what is that walking dead like? 'cause I was very tempted to get that too, maybe next week...I think I'm addicted

Ooo...Y's good. I fell out of love with it around issue 35-40, but it's regained momentum.

I cried when she was shot

:'(

Walking dead is great, but if all this is new to you, I recommend you go way back and start reading

V for Vendetta

Watchmen

Swamp Thing Alan Moores run

Preacher

Invisibles

to start anyway

Walking dead is great, but if all this is new to you, I recommend you go way back and start reading

V for Vendetta

Watchmen

Swamp Thing Alan Moores run

Preacher

Invisibles

to start anyway

no no not new at this comic book game just looking for new stuff. havn't read swap thing or invisibles though...would you put them up there with these other modern day classics? if so I will have to get on it.

I have been giving a friend Preacher reading each one again before I give them to him and needless to say he loves it, just gave him all hells a coming today...I freakin LOVE the look on his little face when he looks at the cover its like he is five and its Christmas or he is thirteen and just squeezed some boob for the first time.

favorite character? its gotta be Herr Starr "put your head in the toilet I'm about to come"

no no not new at this comic book game just looking for new stuff. havn't read swap thing or invisibles though...would you put them up there with these other modern day classics? if so I will have to get on it.

I have been giving a friend Preacher reading each one again before I give them to him and needless to say he loves it, just gave him all hells a coming today...I freakin LOVE the look on his little face when he looks at the cover its like he is five and its Christmas or he is thirteen and just squeezed some boob for the first time.

favorite character? its gotta be Herr Starr "put your head in the toilet I'm about to come"

Yes the invisibles is Grant Morrison at the top of his game IMO.

As for Alan Moores Swamp thing run, its bloody fantastic stuff.

I got this:

51bqvwlxgrlaa240vj4.jpg

from Gosh! (opposite the british museum, they had a nice pile of signed copies). I was familiar with some of Hughes' graphic design work and I knew he was involved in comics, but most of this I was too young for first time around.

Wow! Tis awesome stuff. There's four main stories: Really&Truly - good 2000ad fluff (I guess if you were a ponce you could call it post freak bros/proto hewlett, but i aint, guv), The Science Service - a great retro futurist scifi short, a Chandler i forget the name of but is fab, and Dare, the one you might have heard of, a revisionist, post glory days Dan Dare story.

I'm a massive, huge, frank hampson fan, I think his draftsmanship has barely been equalled tbh, so the first frames of Hughes' Jimmy Hill take on Dare were jarring. But bloody hell, it's a cracking story. The attention, and considered subversion of the mythology, is ace. It's a bit dated - populist takes on politics always will (plz contradict this rowan) - but it still works, and ultimately it stays true to frank's work. (though the way digby is used is incredibly reminiscent of that trade unionist Tintin by Icant b. arsedtocheck.) And it's funny, and sad, thinking about what the optimism of the 50s didn't address, and how it's slipped away..

And aside from the content, it is a stunning book, so much care has been put into it it gives you a warm feeling just to pick it up.

For an alternative answer to the one already provided, I would say Alan Moore's Swamp Thing easily stands up with the others as a modern classic.

Invisibles, while highly good and very enjoyable, is dated a bit and suffers a bit from Morrison's obvious infatuation with early 90s cyberdelia/ chaos magic culture, and some shockingly bad artwork in places. A few people I have recommended it to in recent years have basically laughed at it.

I'm reading Kingdom Come at the mo, pretty sweet. Alex Ross's artwork is tops.

I wanna get into some top grade Batman. Gimme some essential batman recommendations, guys.

I've obviously read The Dark Knight Returns. Is Strikes Back really that poor?

I wanna get into some top grade Batman. Gimme some essential batman recommendations, guys.

I'd suggest ignoring Strikes Back (but then I didn't even like Returns).

Year One is ok, I didn't like it.

The Man Who Laughs (Joker/Batman's first metting)

Long Halloween

Dark Victory (These a 2 miniseries connected to each other. I think LH is first, but I'm not sure)

Batman and the Monster Men is another good "early" story.

Batman: Hush - Very good, but not great. It's what got me into Batman, but then I realised there's much better stories.

Cataclysm/No Mans Land is pretty good - But at about 6 TPB it's HUGE.

The Killing Joke (Jokers origin, and "definitive story")

Yes and No. It's probably worth reading by other standards, but in comparision it is quite awful.

I'd recommend Long Halloween at this time of year especially, but it is good stuff. And Dark Victory for that matter, too, although I can't remember which order they come in. I'm pretty sure Dark Victory is a sequel to Long Halloween.

Also, this is a Batman story illustrated by Alex Ross. It is very short (not much more than a single issue) and it isn't fantastic because of it - nothing really happens. But it does look great.

Looks like it might be a bit rare though, it certainly isn't worth the price on there. But it was released at £6 or £7 in a series of others that I bought one at a time with weekly comics, and in that context it was good fun.

EDIT: I simultaneously posted that with Hexx as I wandered off. For the record, Dark Victory is definitely the sequel now I've checked.

I'd recommend Long Halloween at this time of year especially, but it is good stuff. And Dark Victory for that matter, too, although I can't remember which order they come in. I'm pretty sure Dark Victory is a sequel to Long Halloween.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

Or at least take your shoes off. :)

obviously this has all ready been answered but sure I want to put in my eight cents.

I thought Strikes back was good...not great but fuck it give it a read it wasn't terrible...IMO.

Hush I think was my favorite and Red Hood was a good continuation of it, they would be my first on the list! Also the whole BANE shenanigans got me into Batman so I would give them a whirl (Knightfall).

Just read the wargames ones and have to say not too impressed they seem to be doing a shit load of underworld gangster secret meetings which all end the same way....not very exciting.

Also read ultimate X-men vol.1 over the weekend and thought it was deadly pity I had to read Marvel zombies versus Evil dead afterwards....Dont get me wrong I love ash in the films but I thought this was SHIT.

obviously this has all ready been answered but sure I want to put in my eight cents.

I thought Strikes back was good...not great but fuck it give it a read it wasn't terrible...IMO.

Hush I think was my favorite and Red Hood was a good continuation of it, they would be my first on the list! Also the whole BANE shenanigans got me into Batman so I would give them a whirl (Knightfall).

Just read the wargames ones and have to say not too impressed they seem to be doing a shit load of underworld gangster secret meetings which all end the same way....not very exciting.

Hush - Under the Hood are good indeed.

War Games was, tbh, pretty rubbish.

Also read ultimate X-men vol.1 over the weekend and thought it was deadly pity I had to read Marvel zombies versus Evil dead afterwards....Dont get me wrong I love ash in the films but I thought this was SHIT.

Does "deadly" mean good?

I liked Ultimate X-men, but it's really gone down hill...

Does "deadly" mean good?

I liked Ultimate X-men, but it's really gone down hill...

yes it does.

Pardon me oirish soul! sure isnt it a common word from the Emrald Isle..begorrah.

dont tell me X-men gets shit...

Don't worry. You've got about 40-50 issues before the decline :)

Ahh man, thats not good about the Ultimate X-men.

Im at Volume 5 and have been loving it so far.

That's Magneto Strikes Back right?

The decline really hits post 50ish IMO (and it really evident post 65-87 (now))

They switch writers too often and they all try and bring in new/their favorite characters...They've just started Cable/Bishop and it's all going to shit.