The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

I'd suggest ignoring Strikes Back (but then I didn't even like Returns).

Year One is ok, I didn't like it.

The Man Who Laughs (Joker/Batman's first metting)

Long Halloween

Dark Victory (These a 2 miniseries connected to each other. I think LH is first, but I'm not sure)

Batman and the Monster Men is another good "early" story.

Batman: Hush - Very good, but not great. It's what got me into Batman, but then I realised there's much better stories.

Cataclysm/No Mans Land is pretty good - But at about 6 TPB it's HUGE.

The Killing Joke (Jokers origin, and "definitive story")

Mad Love is very good too. It's by Bruce Timm and Paul Dini, the guys behind the animated series. :)

That's Magneto Strikes Back right?

The decline really hits post 50ish IMO (and it really evident post 65-87 (now))

They switch writers too often and they all try and bring in new/their favorite characters...They've just started Cable/Bishop and it's all going to shit.

see thats my problem with marvel there is just so many characters that every time something happens its just a few seconds of everyone all over the shop...I was given onslaught awhile ago and it just confused the shit out of me!bahhhh humbug!

see thats my problem with marvel there is just so many characters that every time something happens its just a few seconds of everyone all over the shop...I was given onslaught awhile ago and it just confused the shit out of me!bahhhh humbug!

Onslaught was awesome. You shut your mouth ;) (Ok it did involve the entire Marvel Universe...that's why it's 7 or 8 TPB :D)

The Ultimate line was meant to be better. There were only 6 X-Men at the start.

Every arcs introduced more, and some writers have introduced dozens just so they can be the first to "re-image" a character. It's just crowded and convoluted now.

That's Magneto Strikes Back right?

The decline really hits post 50ish IMO (and it really evident post 65-87 (now))

They switch writers too often and they all try and bring in new/their favorite characters...They've just started Cable/Bishop and it's all going to shit.

Yeah i think that is around where i was, still going to stick it out though and see how i get on with it.

I bought Garth Ennis & Darrick Robertson's The Boys Volume 1 TPB yesterday. First comic/GN I've bought in well over 12 months. It's far from his best work but has potential to go places. Steals a lot from Marshall Law in regards the supes being a bunch of degenerate scumbags but I like the whole dark side to superbeings side of things. He seems to use the C word purely to shock and it comes across as a bit primary school in my view though. Oh and it's "heid the baws", not "head the balls."

I've still not picked up 100 Bullets - Decayed yet which was out last Xmas, I assume there's a new collection due around December.

Hmm so recently a very good Batman story came to mind. One which got lots of acclaim at the time, but for whatever reason doesnt get the kind of hype that DKR and the killing joke and other stuff get.

So if you haven't read Blind Justice, I suggest you do so.

Also Batman vs Grendel is coming out in collected form sometime. The first series of this was gobsmackingly awesome - my favourite comic of all time in fact.

I've still not picked up 100 Bullets - Decayed yet which was out last Xmas, I assume there's a new collection due around December.

The eleventh volume came out recently, is available on Amazon, and is called "Once Upon a Crime". It is good.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick heads-up, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Black Dossier finally gets a release today a year after it was originally solicited.

It also comes replete with a big fat UK embargo.

Apparently some smaller UK indie comic have imported it grey and Amazon.com are reportedly shipping to the UK. I'm going on a hunt now for the cheapest price.

Read all about it in this long and typically frank interview with the mighty Moore:- http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=12376

Quick heads-up, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Black Dossier finally gets a release today a year after it was originally solicited.

It also comes replete with a big fat UK embargo.

Apparently some smaller UK indie comic have imported it grey and Amazon.com are reportedly shipping to the UK. I'm going on a hunt now for the cheapest price.

Read all about it in this long and typically frank interview with the mighty Moore:- <a href="http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=12376" target="_blank">http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=12376</a>

Wow, I have been waiting for this for far longer than a year it seems!

Time to desperately ring around all the comic shops in the area..

edit: Bollocks. No one has it. One place said they might get it in tomorrow but he didn't seem sure.

Why is there a UK embargo?

Mine hasn't shipped from Amazon yet, which doesn't worry me but does mean I still have the option of switching to express delivery. RESIST.

In fact, Amazon are still showing it as 'not yet released', but it's certainly ready to go because my friend got hold of an advance copy and reports amazing scenes. Apparently Alan Moore was talking to the guy in our comic shop (it being his local, that's where the advance copy came from) and there have been some stern threats issued about selling it in the UK. I imagine it might leave the publisher open to lawsuits, lawsuits, lawsuits.

I finally cracked and ordered Lost Girls at the same time, which they kindly shipped straight away, so that should tide me over until the Dossier arrives.

Oh, and that Moore interview confirms what I'd heard; no flexidisc in the normal edition. Cheers, DC!

Yeah that is pretty crap.

There is no way I am waiting probably another year for an absolute edition though so it looks like I'm buying it now then ebaying it later for money towards the absolute.

Or just downloading it now... but for some reason that feels very, very wrong - the idea of reading a new volume of League on a screen before I have read it on paper...

I finally cracked and ordered Lost Girls at the same time, which they kindly shipped straight away, so that should tide me over until the Dossier arrives.

I did exactly the same thing; the Black Dossier and Lost Girls, all in one exciting brown paper package. I hope I don't get put on some kind of register.

Or just downloading it now... but for some reason that feels very, very wrong - the idea of reading a new volume of League on a screen before I have read it on paper...

If the Dossier's anything like I'm hoping it will be then downloading it would be a crime. Not a legal crime, you know, a proper one.

If the Dossier's anything like I'm hoping it will be then downloading it would be a crime. Not a legal crime, you know, a proper one.

Yeah I agree. I just thought it might be a way to protest at DCs pig-headed idiocy. But I guess it wouldn't be that good a protest as a) they would never find out about it and b ) the Absolute edition is going to be published by them anyway so they will still get my money.

Astonishing X-Men #23 - Wow.

"What else have you lied about?"

**Smirk**

You knew it was coming, but Cyclopes kicks major ass in a scene that tops the Sentinel/Lawn scene.

Which was nice as I've always liked the character, but found him very badly written by most writers.

Anyone else

think Kitty might die? She seems to be getting very ill from phasing though Breakworld Metals

Read all about it in this long and typically frank interview with the mighty Moore:- http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=12376
What we have done is, since this is fictional world, we weren't actually at war with Adolf Hitler, we were at war with

Adenoid Hynkel, the character played by Charlie Chaplin in 'The Great Dictator.'

:)

This is going to be amazing. :lol:

I bought Garth Ennis & Darrick Robertson's The Boys Volume 1 TPB yesterday. First comic/GN I've bought in well over 12 months. It's far from his best work but has potential to go places. Steals a lot from Marshall Law in regards the supes being a bunch of degenerate scumbags but I like the whole dark side to superbeings side of things. He seems to use the C word purely to shock and it comes across as a bit primary school in my view though. Oh and it's "heid the baws", not "head the balls."

I liked The Boys ok, though it ended after like 6 issues didnt it?

nah, DC dropped it but another publisher picked it up (can't remember the name, they do a lot of shit zombie and Stargate comics). I wasn't especially impressed with the second arc, to be honest, seemed to go on for much longer than the story needed.

Cheers guvna

What's this fucking bullshit about the Black Dossier not being released over here?

I'm well gutted.

Is it Volume three, or is it sort of like a precursor to volume three?

It's a one-off beauty of its own as I understand it, volume three is still on its way but from the new publisher, Top Shelf, and stretching over 100 years, probably in actual release dates as well as within the confines of the story, and ending in the present day via the swinging sixties. Can you imagine?

The UK non-release is down to copyright issues, like everything bad in the modern world. BUT LOVE WILL FIND A WAY.