IGNORED

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

Is that anything to do with Cybercity 808?

Not that i know off

Phobia assaults the research facility-only to be plunged into a literal hell on earth. Amid the smoking rubble, wanders a monstrous army, its soldiers composed of machinery and dead flesh. Meanwhile, deep inside the wreckage, a powerful psychic force, unlike anything the team has seen before, stirs. This isn't some mere parasite, this is something more, something with the power to shake the world. And Phobia are the only ones standing in its way. 

The first issue was pretty damn good, setting the scene well - mysertios monsters that posses people, a team of cops (?) that hunt them down, one of whom was possesed as a child and also the only known survivor of the possesion.

After being inspired by this thread I headed down to Forbidden Planet in Croydon ( it does stink! ) and picked up the following TPBs

Planetary - Vol 1

I've read a bit of planetary before so knew what to expect. Very good indeed.

Batman - Child of Dreams ( or something like that )

A manga Batman thats' black and white. About 6/10 so far.

Ultimates - Vol 1

A black Nick Fury? Blimey, I have been away a while. When did he change colour and why does this re-invent the Captain America story again, waking him up in 2002? Very good stuff though, excellent art work throughout.

I'm enjoying them all in different ways. Might well get this Green Arrow one at the weekend (Quiver it might be called).

After being inspired by this thread I headed down to Forbidden Planet in Croydon ( it does stink! ) and picked up the following TPBs

Planetary - Vol 1

I've read a bit of planetary before so knew what to expect. Very good indeed.

Batman - Child of Dreams ( or something like that )

A manga Batman thats' black and white. About 6/10 so far.

Ultimates - Vol 1

A black Nick Fury? Blimey, I have been away a while. When did he change colour and why does this re-invent the Captain America story again, waking him up in 2002? Very good stuff though, excellent art work throughout.

I'm enjoying them all in different ways. Might well get this Green Arrow one at the weekend (Quiver it might be called).

Anything with the Ultimate tag is basically a whole differnt continuity.. thus fury being black.

Ok, as promised heres my views on this weeks batch of comics that i got :)

Stokers Dracula #1

Click For Spoiler
30 years later, comics legends Roy Thomas and Dick Giordano reunite to at last complete their unfinished B&W ink-wash adaptation of Bram Stoker's classic tale of vampire horror, Dracula! Originally serialized in Marvel horror magazines Vampire Tales and Legion of Monsters, their meticulous retelling of Bram Stoker's tale of Gothic horror has been found in the Marvel tombs, and will at last be unleashed upon the daylight! Every 6 weeks, another issue will arise!

Theres some nice stuff in here, all black ink work, which if done right can have a great effect. its doen very well here so i enjoyed this a lot, with some good (if cheesy) parts like when the frames zoom in on the main characters eyes all horror fil style

Megacity 909 #2

Click For Spoiler

Phobia assaults the research facility-only to be plunged into a literal hell on earth. Amid the smoking rubble, wanders a monstrous army, its soldiers composed of machinery and dead flesh. Meanwhile, deep inside the wreckage, a powerful psychic force, unlike anything the team has seen before, stirs. This isn't some mere parasite, this is something more, something with the power to shake the world. And Phobia are the only ones standing in its way.

Another good issue, with things getting even more strange, with the story starting to get very paranormal, with what seems to be sheilds created via symbolic energy, i dont know the word... you would have to see the pics (ill insert one later). Just a shame i couldnt get the variant cover in belfast, had to order it online but ill get it.. there sweet covers too.

Also included is some nice tutorials on digital inking/colouring at the back... its nice if your into that

Secret Skull #2

Click For Spoiler

The revival of pulp magazines continues with this second installment of Secret Skull by Steve Niles (30 Days of Night) and rising star Chuck BB. When the Skull targets evil, no one had better stand in his way!

This aint to bad this issue, first was a little slow, this one picked up the pace and then leaves you hanging at the end... but there was some nice surprises in there... ill follow this more i think.

Madrox #2

Click For Spoiler

Part 2 of 5. The murder of one of Madrox's dupes sends the original Jamie on a quest to the Windy City of Chicago to determine just who was responsible... unaware that Clay, the assassin who killed his dupe, is still stalking him, determined to finish the job.

This gets better and more interesting, after leaving for chicago, madrox gets in a fight and you know how its going to go from the start... but its well done. Things get bizarre at the end when.... nah ill leave you hanging but its more twists being added to his powers that i wouldnt have been aware off but im enjoying them being explained. VERY noir this title, theres even a joke about it. Art was so-so to me... some weird looking head shots... out of proportion and the sort :o

Uncanny Xmen #451

Click For Spoiler

"The Cruelest Cut," part 2 of 2. Wolverine's 30th Anniversary Celebration starts off with a bang as the X-Men investigate some mysterious murders in New York City. All the victims seem to have been cut to pieces by blades - Adamantium blades. But if Wolverine didn't murder these people - then who did?

I guess people have been waiting for this to see wolverine meet X-23 and see what comes of it... its alright i guess.. some nice fight scenes and some dialogue in places... pity alan davis art does my nut in... i just dont like it. Thank goodness Andy Park is getting a run on it from next issue! some nice preview art at the back of the issue, maybe bishop will get a real head!

New Xmen Academy #6

Click For Spoiler
"Chooisng Sides," part 6 of 6. The battle over the fate of young Kevin Ford turns explosive as the New Mutants go head-to-head with the Hellions. Loyalties betrayed! New alliances formed! And a new romance that doesn¹t quite fit under school policy...

The conclusion of the first story... mainly been character building this with scenes of action, some nice art being used to show this... but nothing out of the ordinary

The Nail (R.Zombie) #4

Click For Spoiler
Rex "The Nail" Hauser and his family have been terrorized and hunted by a bloodthirsty motorcycle gang as they tour the professional wrestling circuit across the Badlands of North Dakota. With one member of their group already murdered by the maniacs, the survivors cornered in a remote location, and their assailants growing more relentless with each attack, one thing becomes brutally clear: if the demons on wheels get their way, there's no hope of making it out alive. In this match, there's no fake blood, no staged body-slams. This is as real as it gets-one bad-ass fighting man who will do anything it takes to protect his family versus blood-curdling, unspeakable evil. Don't miss the ballsy, terrifying conclusion to this summer's must-read horror comic!

This seemed like a rushed ending to me, nothing seems explained, maybe i should re-read the whole thing in one sitting, but i felt let down by this issue on what was otherwise a decent start to a good horror story

Identity Crisis #5

Never read, i need issue 2 and 3 still <_<

Vicrtory Series 2 #2

Click For Spoiler
The stakes are raised when the new Dark Force makes his play for dominance. Now Victória and her newfound companions must push forward to learn the secrets behind their new foe and his plans for the Earth. With power a hundred times greater than the destructive force of the former Monster, God K'Athanoa, the Dark Force could easily tear this planet apart. Placing her pride aside, Victória now seeks the aid of the Heavenly Knights in order to quickly bring about the defeat of what appears to be an unbeatable foe.

mixed bag visually, but maybe for a reason... the real world scenes are overly simple, but the fantasy land scenes are very well drawn, with some great splashs (middle page comes to mind, big manga style titties if you like this sorta thing :o )

Identity Crisis #5

Never read, i need issue 2 and 3 still 

You really do. It's very good.

By the by, in Uncanny X-men.

Click For Spoiler
Has X23 been in the comics before, and X-men Evolution used her? Or is it the other way round?

Also out this week was

Cable and Deadpool #8

Click For Spoiler
"The Passion of the Cable," part 2 of 6. The world's Powers That Be == religious, corporate, political and superhuman -- don't take kindly to a New Power That Is - Cable! Can Deadpool find a way to stop Cable from saving the world before Earth's Mightiest Heroes take a shot at it? Probably not...

I'm liking this series. Mostly for Deadpool, I have to admit, but the story line's good and Marvel seem to have one of their better artists on the case. As I mentiond before, it does seem to clash with X-force. Well X-force clashes with this really.

Transformers War Within: The Age Of Wrath #2

Click For Spoiler
Defeated, enslaved, ground beneath the conquering heel of the newly returned Megatron and put to work in the cauldron of Cybertron's inner core. Surely it can't get any worse for the Autobots and their leader, Ultra Magnus. Wrong, big-time. These trails and ordeals are only the tip of the iceberg in terms of Megatron's plans. But is all as it seems? Or is someone else pulling the strings... someone deadlier still?

So far not as good as the last two volumes. Megatron's return is a very good thing. It's kind of let down by the artwork though. Small boxes and it's a bit too dark to see at times.

One more thing. Can anyone give me a list of all the comics in the Avengers Dissasembled series?

Heres some pics from some of the stuff i mentioned above..

uncanny xmen 451

Click For Spoiler

i dont know... i just dont like the way bishops head looks :D i can just about stand wolverines head when costumed here makes him look small and mean like he should, it aint to bad without the hood though with his hair out.

bishop.jpg

Megacity 909

Click For Spoiler
Heres thoses things i talked aboout, the sheilds

megacity909.jpg

Dracula

Click For Spoiler
I loved this panel, its cheesey in a way

dracula.jpg

• 1 month later...

I used to collect Marvel in the mid to late 80's and still have them all. My favourites at the time were X-MEn (of course), New Mutants and Power Pack (vastly under-rated comic).

However my favourite of all time were the Halo Jones books - why these haven't been made into films is beyond me.

• 4 weeks later...
Still, it seems that its extremely difficult to "get into" comics nowadays. Comic shops are rare indeed and you have little idea if what you are buying is good or not. It seems that if you aren't a bit gothic and prepared to spend hours chatting to the dudes in the comic shop then its very hard to understand what comics are about nowadays.

well fp nottingham isnt like that, just pray that me or shasa are working when you come in cause nobody else knows anything bout comics.

i dont think our fp smells too bad, customers often do tho.

best things being published at marvel & dc at the moment:

wolverine: brilliant story, beautiful romita jr art

new avengers: bendis is a genius, i like the jla style superteam idea and changes in the monotany of spideys life are welcome.

ultimate spidey: more bendis, its fucking ace

superman: LOVVVVE jim lee, good arazello story too

superman/batman: jeph loeb continues to be the best writer in the world

only indie i read is street fighter, which continues to be ace. anyone know if the holofoils are worth anything yet?

finally, go check my wanted comics thread in the wanted folder and sell me what im missing.

I went to Spain for Christmas and took the following with me:

The Return of Superman.

Arkham Asylum: Living Hell (Not to be confused with Arkham Asylum, the lushly illustrated trip-out of a Batman story).

Superman: Godfall.

Ultimate Xmen Vol 1 & 2.

All of them were absolutely brilliant. I want to go into more detail but I haven't got time. If any of you see any of these and haven't read them then give them a chance. The Return of Superman doesn't require you to have read The Death of Superman but it made it better for me.

OK, speaking as someone who was bang into comics years ago, I stumbled across this thread with interest. Used to be a big DC fan, and still have hundreds saved in their mylar bags back at my dad's house - JLA/JLE, Batman, Green Lantern... loved them all. Also had about 600 issues of 2000AD last time I checked, but I stopped buying comics when I went to Uni - about 7/8 years ago.

Still, they're something I've always loved, and meant to get back into, even if it's just the odd title I could collect and enjoy. What would you guys recommend to ease me back into the world?

wolverine: brilliant story, beautiful romita jr art

Enemy of the state? if so then word to you its awesome but Wolverine always has been since the latest volume began last year.

The latest Astonishing X-Men is great to, whedon is my Messiah

Oh, that's a point: has anyone read either the old Silent Hill comic or the new one? From the description the old one at least seemed like it'd worked out that the point of Silent Hill was your inner demons, so even though it's probably shit, I can't help myself...

There now follows a small amount of foul and abusive language in response to the cancellation of the excellent Human Target series:

Fucking cunting sodding bastard motherfucking sons of God damn fucking worthless scum-sucking, sub-human cuntshitfaced bitches...狗屎㆒经常没用的㆒羔羊中的孤羊㆒混蛋...merde.

Nuts.

There now follows a small amount of foul and abusive language in response to the cancellation of the excellent Human Target series:

Fucking cunting sodding bastard motherfucking sons of God damn fucking worthless scum-sucking, sub-human cuntshitfaced bitches...狗屎㆒经常没用的㆒羔羊中的孤羊㆒混蛋...merde.

Nuts.

They're cancelling it? FFS. And yet Chris Claremont is still writing comics...

I weep for the state of the comics industry.

Picked up this new Dave Gibbons (Co-Creator of Watchmen & Rouge Trooper, to name but a few) creation called The Originals.

It's a story set in the future but covering the Mod scene...with hover scooters and a Brighton Seafront in a hi-tech dome with it's own weather system. Cool clothes, drugs, dancing and kids wanting to be part of the in-crowd. Follows the story of one kid who desperately wants to be an 'Original', hates the Dirts (Rockers) and will do anything it takes to impress them.

And then it all goes horribly wrong (hooray!).

It's a cracking read, art is typical Gibbons, clean lines and loads of colour, oodles of style. It's all very cool, he really captures the feel of the time well. Thoroughly recommended. There's a bit more about it here and you can pick it up on Amazon here.

ORIG016-017.jpg