The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

Okay, so Amazon have decided that Scott Pilgrim Volume 4 will be out tomorrow and not the 14th. That means you all have exactly one day to read the first three volumes if you haven't. So, basically, get to work.

You can read each volume in about ten minutes, so it's not such a tall order.

Amazon.com for my Black Dossier. I am deeply worried about the date slipping and slipping and slipping. I am also worried about customs seizing it and some terrifying lawyer from the Bond estate leaving me in just a pair of pants in a bare room.

Although i have Lost Girls and no one has sued me. I work for a book shop and our American Supplier will not supply us under pain of pain from head office. Or rather fear of legal bum raping.

Amazon.com for my Black Dossier. I am deeply worried about the date slipping and slipping and slipping.

It's slipped two days since I left work at 5pm! The release date is still 16/11 (used to be 14/11 and changed yesterday) but the shipping date, which was 16/11 earlier, is now 18/11. I know how anticlimaxes work, sadly.

It's slipped two days since I left work at 5pm! The release date is still 16/11 (used to be 14/11 and changed yesterday) but the shipping date, which was 16/11 earlier, is now 18/11. I know how anticlimaxes work, sadly.

It could be the next Duke Nukem Forever. And was for when 'century' will come out. Oh, Alan Moore my love for thee is a torturous one.

I keep meaning to pimp and advertise and suchlike, but I keep forgetting. But I have remembered for now. Disposable Media, of which I am the comics section editor, has now launched a new forum for talking about stuff. It won't replace rllmuk...but the important part is that unlike here there is a dedicated section for comics. You can start threads on things and they don't instantly disappear and everything!

It is here:

http://disposablemedia.co.uk/forum

Please join, or I'm talking to myself on it. Also, if you didn't bother reading DM9, make sure you check this thread out:

http://disposablemedia.co.uk/forum/viewtop...&t=32"

Because it points to free comics. That are genuinely great.

Estimated arrival date: 12/10/2007 - 12/17/2007

fucking slags

'Availability: Usually ships within 1 to 3 weeks' pretty much just means NEVAR, doesn't it?

this and my inability to get Eddie Campbell's second Alec book from anyone but a site charging $15 shipping or lying cheating marketplace sellers is making me really hate the funnybook publishers.

fucking slags

'Availability: Usually ships within 1 to 3 weeks' pretty much just means NEVAR, doesn't it?

this and my inability to get Eddie Campbell's second Alec book from anyone but a site charging $15 shipping or lying cheating marketplace sellers is making me really hate the funnybook publishers.

I'd like to suggest this is the slowest post on rllmuk. When I typed my advert/plea above, siddique was in italics. Then a mere 18 hours later, here it is!

fucking slags

Black Dossier by any chance? Mine is still shipping today according to my order, though the books' page says 1-3 weeks. Cock in a bun! I looked at some eBay sellers but I saw a lot of 'will ship when in stock' notices, which makes me doubt whether anyone who doesn't say that actually has a copy. Maybe there's been a problem with the publisher shipping the books out, or maybe Amazon are just having bad luck. We'll see what my order status says tomorrow, and if the shipping date has moved forward again fuck it, I'm flying over to the States and shoplifting a copy. Oh, wait a minute here - my sister's fiancée is in California this week. THIS GIVES ME AN IDEA.

I wonder if j.m.ratkos lives near any comic shops...

Also, Rowan, if he could pick me one up an all that would be marvelous :lol:

Yeah, I was thinking of asking Ratty if he'd be able to pick one up for a finder's fee, but I'm sure my almost-in-law would be able to get a couple if he can get any at all. I'll see what happens to my Amazon order tomorrow... I might ask him to keep an eye out for copies either way, because I doubt they'd be very hard to get rid of here in the UK.

Yeah, I was thinking of asking Ratty if he'd be able to pick one up for a finder's fee, but I'm sure my almost-in-law would be able to get a couple if he can get any at all. I'll see what happens to my Amazon order tomorrow... I might ask him to keep an eye out for copies either way, because I doubt they'd be very hard to get rid of here in the UK.

If you end up with any spare copies I'll take one for sure.

If you end up with any spare copies I'll take one for sure.

I'll see what I can do - obviously I don't want to cause him too much hassle and he might not get a chance to look for them anyway, but since my estimated shipping date is now yesterday I think I'm going to ask. I'll be leaving my Amazon order open because God knows what'll happen if I cancel it and want to reorder later on, so any spares I end up with I'll be happy to pass on for what I paid.

Right, I've asked my sister's fiancée to look out for copies in San Fran, and just after I'd done that Amazon mailed me asking to approve a shipping delay - it's now 26th Nov.

I just had a look around and Barnes & Noble claim they have it in stock for 24-hour shipping, so I've ordered from them, too - if they ship I've got plenty of time to cancel my Amazon order. B&N ended up being around £18 all-in for their 4-14 day international shipping option (one step up from the default). Worth a look, you can order without an account and use Paypal.

Edit: here you go: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearc...03061&itm=1

Drove into Cambridge at lunchtime to see if I could get my phone upgraded and as I was on the wrong side of town to visit Forbidden Planet dropped into Borders and was really pleased at just how much good stuff they sell. I'm a bit skint and wavered between buying both collected volumes of Yoshihiro Tatsumi (Push Man and Abandon the Old in Tokyo - both previously recommended earlier in this thread unless my memory doesn't serve me correctly) and a handful of stuff by Seth and Joe Matt before leaving empty-handed.

I can't stop thinking about Push Man though; it really touched me and I would have loved to have sat and read through the whole thing there and then. Maybe I'll have to ask for both books for Christmas.

I can't stop thinking about Push Man though; it really touched me and I would have loved to have sat and read through the whole thing there and then. Maybe I'll have to ask for both books for Christmas.

They're both excellent; I think I was the one (or one of the ones) that mentioned them earlier. No sign of vol. 3 yet, but I believe one volume a year is their goal. Definitely a solid pairing for a Christmas list. If the Joe Matt you were looking at was Spent, his latest collection, that would make a fine addition, as it's thematically not too dissimilar to Tatsumi's work but with the added and unnerving quality of being autobiographical as opposed to fictional.

Update from my local:

"Hi Andrew

As you may or may not be aware, LOEG Black Dossier, will not be receiving an 'official' distribution in the UK.

We are however hoping to receive some stock, although this will not be until the middle of December.

I shall send you a link to a pre-booking page, within the next few days.

kind regards

Martin Kravetz

Mega-City Comics"

A latter-day Simpsons that's actually funny! Ace.

Moore was in fine form, but one can only assume that Jack Black is permanently on the cast now as the new comic book guy, because the alternative is that the writers simply left the plot of the first half hanging unresolved, and that would be unthinkable. A bit like From Hell turning into the story of Virginia Woolf's sixth birthday halfway through and never returning to the topic of Jack the Ripper, other than a brief cameo on the last page.

Anyway, League update: Barnes & Noble have taken payment and are claiming it'll be on its way tomorrow. So if Amazon can't get themselves sorted B&N might be worth investigating. Now I fully expect to wake up tomorrow and find that both copies have shipped and my in-law has secured half a dozen in the States.

I just read Smax, too. I wasn't convinced I was going to like it that much, but as I enjoyed Top 10 and it was cheap enough I thought I'd give it ago. It's very good and hops between humour and pathos effortlessly. I don't know much about fantasy literature, so I imagine I didn't get all I could out of it, but even so I'm glad I gave it a shot. That just leaves Tom Strong from the ABC line to investigate, which I'm not convinced I'll like so much because, basically, I never bloody learn.

I just read Smax, too. I wasn't convinced I was going to like it that much, but as I enjoyed Top 10 and it was cheap enough I thought I'd give it ago. It's very good and hops between humour and pathos effortlessly. I don't know much about fantasy literature, so I imagine I didn't get all I could out of it, but even so I'm glad I gave it a shot. That just leaves Tom Strong from the ABC line to investigate, which I'm not convinced I'll like so much because, basically, I never bloody learn.

Smax was really good, despite the slightly odd combination of hard SF and fantasy at the end. Moore seems to have gotten better at doing characters over the years, and worse at doing plots, and Top Ten/Smax exemplifies that – the characters are wonderful, three-dimensional people, slightly let down by unsatisfactory resolutions to ongoing plotlines.

I really liked the start of Tom Strong, but the incredibly short length of the stories put me off a bit. Moore seemed to be setting himself a challenge by starting and resolving a bizarre storyline within three or four pages, and that didn't seem to be playing to his strengths, to be honest.

Smax was really good, despite the slightly odd combination of hard SF and fantasy at the end. Moore seems to have gotten better at doing characters over the years, and worse at doing plots, and Top Ten/Smax exemplifies that – the characters are wonderful, three-dimensional people, slightly let down by unsatisfactory resolutions to ongoing plotlines.

I assume with most of the ABC stuff (although Smax was a limited series from the start AFAIK) Moore envisaged them continuing - I know there was a 'season two' of Top Ten planned, for example - and that might lead to a perception of character over plot in what remained at the end. Having read most of the titles now I also assume he was ploughing the majority of his efforts into Promethea - though even there the resolution of the Painted Doll plotline didn't seem to sit very comfortably with the rest of events. I let it off because the rest of events appeared to give me an acid flashback and left me full of grinning, awed benevolence for a couple of hours.

But yeah, Smax was all about character - there was no reason the solution at the end should have worked at all given the nature of Jaffs' world. But at the same time, given the nature of that world, I suppose there was no reason why it wouldn't work - provided it was done in an appropriate style.

Aaaanyway, time well spent. I'd avoided the ABC stuff (League excepted) for ages, because I'd read a couple of issues here and there and it seemed like relatively sub-par stuff; I was wrong, but I'm glad I ended up reading it all in collected editions.

Dossier watch: Barnes and Noble have now shipped their order, while Amazon are still waiting, so Amazon lose. If my in-law has picked any up I'll pass them on to those who staked a claim earlier. I might just get to read the thing yet.

I assume with most of the ABC stuff (although Smax was a limited series from the start AFAIK) Moore envisaged them continuing - I know there was a 'season two' of Top Ten planned, for example - and that might lead to a perception of character over plot in what remained at the end. Having read most of the titles now I also assume he was ploughing the majority of his efforts into Promethea - though even there the resolution of the Painted Doll plotline didn't seem to sit very comfortably with the rest of events. I let it off because the rest of events appeared to give me an acid flashback and left me full of grinning, awed benevolence for a couple of hours.

I assume they actually put the 'season two' idea into practice, as I've got a copy of 'Top Ten: Beyond the Farthest Precinct', which isn't written by Moore and continues the story back at Top Ten after 'Smax'. It's truly awful; it reads like they tried to cut twelve issues of story down into four, but only told the writer mid-way through the fourth issue. It's not even that good a story anyway.

I've had Promethea volume two knocking around for a couple of years now, and still haven't read it.