The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

They're both excellent; I think I was the one (or one of the ones) that mentioned them earlier. No sign of vol. 3 yet, but I believe one volume a year is their goal. Definitely a solid pairing for a Christmas list. If the Joe Matt you were looking at was Spent, his latest collection, that would make a fine addition, as it's thematically not too dissimilar to Tatsumi's work but with the added and unnerving quality of being autobiographical as opposed to fictional.

Dead on there, I was looking at Spent (and it was your recommendation of Tatsumi I was thinking of earlier). I don't suppose you've read Ode to Kirihito

by Osamu Tezuka?

I assume they actually put the 'season two' idea into practice, as I've got a copy of 'Top Ten: Beyond the Farthest Precinct', which isn't written by Moore and continues the story back at Top Ten after 'Smax'. It's truly awful; it reads like they tried to cut twelve issues of story down into four, but only told the writer mid-way through the fourth issue. It's not even that good a story anyway.

Yeah, I knew there were a few post-Moore ABC stories knocking around, but it never occurred to me to read them. Oh, I just remembered that Tomorrow Stories is another one I haven't picked up. I take it that's worthwhile? I've got the Moore / Gebbie strip about Jack Parsons that Top Shelf printed (the original publisher (Wildstorm?) refused, I think) and if that's any indicator then I'm pretty confident.

I've had Promethea volume two knocking around for a couple of years now, and still haven't read it.

Promethea was actually one of the individual comics I read that put me off ABC, perversely. Later on a friend gave me the first collection, and that didn't do much for me, but I kept reading glowing testimonials to the whole series so I cracked and gave it a shot, and it turned out to be remarkable. There are a number of interesting parallels to The Invisibles, which is even more interesting given that both are to some extent textbooks of magic, though The Invisibles is more of a practical working whereas Promethea turns into something of an encyclopaedia. If Moore had cut back on the plot and thrown a couple of exercises in there he'd have ended up producing a 'Magic in Theory & Practice' for the 21st century. Hmm, maybe the difference is that The Invisibles is an experiment by the author while Promethea acts upon the reader. Or maybe I just imagined it all, whichever's more likely.

Dead on there, I was looking at Spent (and it was your recommendation of Tatsumi I was thinking of earlier). I don't suppose you've read Ode to Kirihito

by Osamu Tezuka?

No, I think that's going to be on my Xmas list. There are a couple of other Tezuka's I've had my eye on, and I'd really like to start picking up the collected Phoenix, but I haven't got round to sorting out how best to do that yet.

I picked up a boxed trilogy of "30 Days of Nights" a few weeks ago when down in London for a long weekend.

Finally started it last night and have finished the fisrt two parts, loving it.

Personally its the best thing i have read since Preacher.

I am really taken with the style of the artwork, dont know how to describe it really, i think messy would be the best description but that doesnt do it justice.

Is the film any good ?

I MUST WATCH THAT EPISODE.

I just read Smax, too. I wasn't convinced I was going to like it that much, but as I enjoyed Top 10 and it was cheap enough I thought I'd give it ago. It's very good and hops between humour and pathos effortlessly. I don't know much about fantasy literature, so I imagine I didn't get all I could out of it, but even so I'm glad I gave it a shot. That just leaves Tom Strong from the ABC line to investigate, which I'm not convinced I'll like so much because, basically, I never bloody learn.

Smax is amazing. I think I actually liked it more than the main Top Ten series, because the less detailed artwork made the background jokes easier to identify. And the bits with the various Deaths were all very Terry Pratchett. :)

I've wanted to read Promethea for ages, but it's been out of stock at Amazon for a while, and anyway it sounded like something that would be risky to "blind buy". Fortunately, I recently found a copy of volume 3 in the library - considering I missed the beginning, I think I followed a surprising amount of the story. Good joke about how symbolic old men sitting by the side of the road all look alike. And then there's that bit where there's a double-page spread of characters walking around a Mobius strip, and the speech balloons follow them around... :(

Tom Strong was the first of the ABC comics I read, and I think it's probably my favourite. I've read vol 1, 2, 3, 6 (the crossover with Promethea), and the two volumes of Teriffic Tales, but not Terra Obscura or Tomorrow Stories. The first Tom Strong arc is probably the best - the shorter stories are a bit hit or miss, but there are some great ones in there. And Timmy Turbo is great - love the spoof advert for America's Best Comics: "Holy Socks, guys, comic books just aren't fun any more. I guess we'll have to turn to hard drugs!" ;)

In non-Alan Moore-related news, I also got a volume of Marvel's Civil War storyline out of the library - "The Marvel Universe" one. It wasn't very good, with the exception of the Howard the Duck strip. And to be honest, the jokes in that one weren't much sillier than the idea of the Civil War crossover itself. :)

I've also finally read the first TPB of Ed Brubaker's Daredevil run, which was very good. Lots of fun Bullseye stuff. I don't think it was as good as the best of Bendis's run, but that could change later on. Now, I need to add a smiley to the end of this paragraph so it'll match the others, so here we go: :ph34r:

I'm phttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v246/kapowza/2.jpg

old-man-Punisher for the win

Old-man-Punisher will fuck you up.

I know it should get clichéd but I never get tired of the "someone's going to die" panels Ennis writes into his stories.

worldofhurtcq7.jpg

"You're entering a world of pain, son."

Just got my Amazon.com email telling me Black Dossier has shipped! (I'm in the UK, so feeling quite happy with myself)

That was on target with the timescale they claimed for mine (eventually) so it's good news for all. I notice a fair few eBay sellers are stating that they're not allowed to ship it to the UK - presumably they're comic shops with eBay accounts - so it's nice to see big-name retailers like Amazon and B&N ignoring all that.

On the outskirts of this thread's remit, there being a distinct lack of panels and images, I read Alan Moore's prose contribution to Iain Sinclair's London: City of Disappearances and, as a thematic bonus, it's a portrait of Steve Moore, co-magician and co-comicbook author. Very good, as you might imagine. Goes a bit Voice of the Fire at the end, not a criticism. I've been listening to the Highbury Working CD on the way to work this week, and all of this whets my appetite for Jerusalem, which is most likely folly as Heaven only knows if or when that'll actually make it into print...

today I bought

WWH #5

Angel After The Fall

Thor #4 - I'm loving this at the moment and I've not really read much Thor before.

All Star Superman #9

Was gonna pick up the Boys TPB but no stock in FP Cardiff.

I hated WWH #5

Thor 4 was too "real/political message".

:unsure:

I hated WWH #5

Thor 4 was too "real/political message".

:unsure:

I had to get it for completists sake, I had all the others and most of the side titles as well.

I've enjoyed Thor so far. Especially his taking to task of Mr Stark last issue. Bout time. In fact WWH1 rocked for much the same reason.

The Illuminati is pretty decent too.

today I bought

WWH #5

Angel After The Fall

Thor #4 - I'm loving this at the moment and I've not really read much Thor before.

All Star Superman #9

Was gonna pick up the Boys TPB but no stock in FP Cardiff.

My list from last week/this week is:

Halo Uprising #2 (of 4)

Ultimate Marvel Sampler (FREE, apparently)

Brave & The Bold #8

Countdown #23

Flash #234

Shadowpact #19

Thor #4 assorted covers

Ultimate Fantastic Four #48

Ultimates Saga (one shot)

Batman & The Outsiders #1

Booster Gold #4

Countdown #24

Green Arrow Black Canary #2

Salvation Run #1 (of 7)

Suicide Squad Raise The Flag #3 (of :D

And I'm cutting back :unsure:

What's Halo Uprising like?

I wrote a review of issue 1 in Disposable Media, I'll see if I can find the text. But basically...average. Master Chief got captured within about 4 pages, then the action switched to a couple of unknowns on Earth caught in a cov. invasion force. Very little happened really. It was...OK, very Bendis talking... Worth me buying the second one of it, but not good enough for a Halo fan to make a dedicated trip to a comic book shop for it.

Not read the second one yet, won't get comics until Saturday I don't think.