The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

I bought that great big compiled book of Bone for £1 about 3 weeks after it came out at a bootsale. Bargain.

In Black Dossier news, I had it in my hand yesterday. But they were charging £20 so I didn't buy it. It was at memorabilia, so I don't have contact details for them. But the important part is that it does really exist.

In Black Dossier news, I had it in my hand yesterday. But they were charging £20 so I didn't buy it. It was at memorabilia, so I don't have contact details for them. But the important part is that it does really exist.

I bet we're all enjoying it far more as a semi-mythical item than we ever will as an actual book on our shelves. At the moment it has the mysterious allure of Unaussprechlichen Kulten for most of us, less so for poor old Rev who has actually seen it and therefore had a percentage of the wonder replaced with cold, hard reality. Lest his reports chip away at our own glamours, I suggest we start to treat Rev as a fictional character, a Harley Warren to the Dossier's Necronomicon. All we need to do now is wait for his final post:

You fools, Rev is DEAD!

I gave him one last Christmas as I've always been quite fond of the character.

nnng

it's been almost a year and the last Doom Patrol trade still isn't out yet.

That'd be the last Morrison volume unless I'm mistaken, bowing out in style with a Smiths quote. Amazon US seem to have it down for mid-January. I wonder if someone will be able to pull together a collected Flex Mentallo after this? I'd like to see an Absolute edition of that.

I love that last scene on the bridge in Doom Patrol.

It's an awesome final page, though I find the final Crazy Jane story is a wee bit hokey if I'm honest. Still excellent in places, however. The 'first final issue' with Danny's ending is fantastic.

I love all the Doom Patrol collections (read them when they first came out, too), but the quality's up and down. The later Rebis plotlines bore me senseless and I'm not a great fan of the Candlemaker, but the Magic Bus stuff is superb so it's not just a case of steady decline...

Let's have it, though, I'm in no position to resist.

I bet we're all enjoying it far more as a semi-mythical item than we ever will as an actual book on our shelves.

It was flat...and black. I shall say no more. I'm doing that for your sake, as well as mine.

But it is real.

Very...real.

nnng

it's been almost a year and the last Doom Patrol trade still isn't out yet.

DC are appalling when it comes to trades. The fact that their "collected" Gotham Central and Starman libraries miss issues and arcs out left, right and centre is proof of that. I'm glad they now handle the Wildstorm trades too.

No wait. The other thing.

[glares at the only two Wildcats Version 3.0 trades that are EVER going to be printed]

Surely realness is an absolute? It's either real or it's not real. Thus, you qualified an absolute, "very real".

GET OUT!

Alas, it was an attempt at humour, meaning to sound as if I was poised to start a review, but due to the limit of my experience with the tome the best I could offer was to emphasise my previous statement. I intended the "..." to symbolise a trailing off, rather than as an ellipsis which would suggest an ambiguity. I fear you have simply misinterpreted me.

I apologise for any consternation caused, however.

That'd be the last Morrison volume unless I'm mistaken, bowing out in style with a Smiths quote. Amazon US seem to have it down for mid-January. I wonder if someone will be able to pull together a collected Flex Mentallo after this? I'd like to see an Absolute edition of that.

I'd say that'll happen about the same time as I get my 'Sleeper' Absolute edition.

Doom Patrol! In my opinion SS is pretty pedestrian, but Doom Patrol is a flat-out classic. Start with the first collection and don't stop until it's finished or you're dead or you're finished or it's dead.

Another one to try out then!

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but do you have a huge library-type book collection in your house? I just presumed that you do, full of interesting books and many different printings of the same Lovecraft novels littered throughout.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but do you have a huge library-type book collection in your house? I just presumed that you do, full of interesting books and many different printings of the same Lovecraft novels littered throughout.

Oh, you have no idea. It's a grim situation, I really need - and, I feel, deserve - a huge rambling townhouse where I can hammer shelves to every free surface and create life-threatening piles of books at the sides of wide staircases, but as it is I'm stuck with a 3-bedroom semi ill-equipped for my book-buying shenanigans. Every now and then I'll buy a nice big bookcase which looks great for a while, but before long books are being piled on top of other books and crammed into every available cranny.

Part of me enjoys all that, but I also like nice, calm and orderly rooms. But you can't have both. It's not really fair to impose the results of my affliction on poor George, either, so I'm always trying to organise some kind of compromise.

Most of my books are boxed up in the loft. Every now and again I'll try to have a charity-shop cull and lighten the load, so I'll spend a day up there sifting through boxes and wondering what the hell I was on or thinking when I bought that. But at the same time I'll always discover some treasure that I'd forgotten about, like a 19th century textbook of mental diseases or a box full of Joseph Conrads that I have absolutely no recollection of purchasing.

Funny you should mention Lovecraft, I was discussing him with his trowel-fingered namesake Super Lovecraft at the weekend, because there's a new slipcased (and leatherbound, if you're rich) edition of his fiction coming out. We'd both love to have that, but it'd be mental because we must already own 95% of the content several times over in other releases.

Ah, well. Bringing this back on-topic and as an example of the daily tribulations I face, my Lost Girls arrived from Amazon today, which must surely mean that my expedited-God-damn-it Black Dossier will arrive tomorrow, assuming they haven't shipped it over the Bermuda Triangle or via the US Postal Service's Kadath depot. Tentacles crossed.

My ‘Black Dossier’ just turned up and it is a thing of beauty. Just had a quick flick-through and looks like a lot of fun with a great illustrated ‘Fanny Hill’ prose piece replete with a veritable cornucopia of tits and arses. Not ot mention the awesome 3D pages!

Also, when you spend a good half an hour reading the London underground inspired credits page you know you have a book created with love and care