The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

I think Frank Miller wrote a Robocop crossover that might not suck, but I havn't read it.

He did and it's fucking ace. It's not a wonkily forced crossover either, the premise being

Robocop was the first successful melding of organic matter and technology, paving the way for Skynet and the Terminators. The Resistance discover this and send someone back to destroy Robocop. The Terminators retaliate by sending some T-800's back to kill the person who was sent back to kill Robocop. Cue some awesome to-oing and fro-ing with time, massive gun battles and some ace concepts and you have a wicked comic.

I'd recommend it to anyone if it's still in print.

EDIT: It isn't and I can't see the TPB on eBay either. Fucksocks.

Well I managed to get the anniversary edition of Arkham Asylum out of the library the other day. Re-read it, read the annotations on the script and my opinion still hasnt changed:

It's a load of shite.

One thing that possibly makes me think that this could be a good story ruined by the art (or at least a better story than it is in its current form) is the collection of Morrison's layout thumbnails. They seemed to make the story a whole lot clearer - and at the end of the day in a comic I want the art to be supporting/telling the narrative, not getting in the way.

This guy from Sequart has a different view. That interview (don't know about the book itself) is worth a read for an alternative opinion.

Personally I don't think Arkham Asylum is either rubbish or brilliant. It's just... okay. It has some ideas that work really well, but then there are the bits (especially in the annotations) that... well, I don't like to use the word "pretentious", so let's just say I wasn't really interested in the motifs and symbols he wanted to base the story around. ^_^

I was also a bit annoyed that Scarecrow was only in it for, like, three panels. :blink:

Regarding the art, I agree it's not the clearest way of showing actions (I remember the fight with Croc being particularly hard to follow). But I think that the style - blurry and unclear, like a dream - was appropriate for most of the other parts of the story. I think the same goes for David Mack's artwork in Daredevil: the two stories he illustrated ("Wake Up" and "Echo: Vision Quest") were a good use of his collages.

This guy from Sequart has a different view. That interview (don't know about the book itself) is worth a read for an alternative opinion.

Personally I don't think Arkham Asylum is either rubbish or brilliant. It's just... okay. It has some ideas that work really well, but then there are the bits (especially in the annotations) that... well, I don't like to use the word "pretentious", so let's just say I wasn't really interested in the motifs and symbols he wanted to base the story around. ^_^

I was also a bit annoyed that Scarecrow was only in it for, like, three panels. :blink:

Regarding the art, I agree it's not the clearest way of showing actions (I remember the fight with Croc being particularly hard to follow). But I think that the style - blurry and unclear, like a dream - was appropriate for most of the other parts of the story. I think the same goes for David Mack's artwork in Daredevil: the two stories he illustrated ("Wake Up" and "Echo: Vision Quest") were a good use of his collages.

Thanks for the link. I will check it out - I geniunely want to know what the hell people see in this comic, so I'm sure it will be interesting reading. Also I love a load of Morrison's other stuff, like his current run on (dare I say it?)... THE GODDAMNED BATMAN.

I read volume 1 of Batman: Under the Hood last night. Surprisingly I really enjoyed it, despite the whole Jason Todd is back from the dead thing. He makes a great villain. The ultimate anti-Batman I guess.

Considered getting some trade collection of New Frontier, but the only one they had was the Absolute edition, which I considered until I saw the price: a whopping £50.

Does anyone here have any of the DC Absolute editions? Does the art look any good blown up to that size?

Has anyone else had the misfortune to read the first issue of The Ultimates Volume 3 yet? Wow that was bad. So bad I'm wondering if Loeb was trying to do an All-Star Batman and Robin.

Title well and truly dropped.

Yeah...that was really really bad/wierd.

I read volume 1 of Batman: Under the Hood last night. Surprisingly I really enjoyed it, despite the whole Jason Todd is back from the dead thing. He makes a great villain. The ultimate anti-Batman I guess.

Considered getting some trade collection of New Frontier, but the only one they had was the Absolute edition, which I considered until I saw the price: a whopping £50.

Does anyone here have any of the DC Absolute editions? Does the art look any good blown up to that size?

Yes, I have Dark Knight, Watchmen and Kingdom Come. They're really, really nice - the art looks great and the extras are usually pretty good. Whether it's worth the extra cost is a personal thing but they're really good quality.

Wait.....is that Madureira?!?!?!

EDIT! IT FUCKING IS!! Sorry lads, I'm totally gay for Joe Mad. WHERE'S THE REST OF BATTLE CHASERS?!?!?

422.jpg

;)

I gotta agree I fell in love with his work on Age of Apoocalypse way back then. i have to say that page posted looks very nice.

I gotta agree I fell in love with his work on Age of Apoocalypse way back then. i have to say that page posted looks very nice.

Aw man, I hope you're talking about the one without the dialogue... I like Mad's art to a certain point too but he is completely the wrong fit for the Ultimates as he's clearly just drawing The Avengers. However it's Loeb's script that really stinks up the joint.

"I'll deal with butt-ugly"

"Eat. This."

"Nobody Hits my Thunder God!"

"You are not her, where is she?!"

"Hot."

"Ugh, that's like totally gross. Eww."

Seriously. What the fuck is this crap?

Re Black Dossier:

I got it from the marketplace, from baldwins book barn 5 days ago and it arrived today. Don't hate me. Looks great, but I was expecting a flexidisc. Did I pick that up wrong?

I got mine today from amazon.com. Not read it much yet - but what I have is great.

Apparently the vinyl is only included in the absolute edition.

Yes, I have Dark Knight, Watchmen and Kingdom Come. They're really, really nice - the art looks great and the extras are usually pretty good. Whether it's worth the extra cost is a personal thing but they're really good quality.

Hmm... may well have to get one to see.

Would be a toss up between Hush or New Frontier.

So anyone else reading the Umbrella Academy? I was expecting a rubbish cash in by a member of a famous band.

What I got was a delightful tale of weirdness and time travel, featuring gorilla bodied spacemen and lovely mignola esq artwork.

5/5 for the first 3 issues.

whilst I'm here can I say that 2000ad is currently in the rudest of health.

Prog 2008 arrived today and I'm shocked by its brilliance

We have a Clint Langley Dredd on the cover, a Clint Langley Angel Gang 2 page spread inside(which has an amazing representation of Mean Machine) but Stickleback features Chinese hopping Vampires :( and Johnny's back :(