The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

Sssshhh!

I got my copy yesterday morning too, but I'm saving it for the weekend as a little treat.

I used to love getting the Dredd annual for Christmas every year, but I can see why they chose to do a 2000AD 3-week special rather than releasing the 2 annuals; both annuals (Dredd/2000AD) contained a lot of poor material and reprints in their later years iirc, probably because they didn't have the staff numbers to continue with the standard AD and make the annuals.

What a week! My Black Dossier turned up at last and is ten types of awesome but I don't have time to go into it at the moment, and today I just went up to the post slots and bam, there's my copy of Alphabets of Desire, a long scroll of original Moore text lettered up beautifully by Todd Klein and signed by both. There were only 500 copies, so I'm damned lucky I got one (and it arrived in a third of the time Black Dossier took, so cheers to Todd Klein and jeers to Barnes & Noble). Now to find a long, thin frame. I bet that's going to be a custom job.

What a week! My Black Dossier turned up at last and is ten types of awesome but I don't have time to go into it at the moment, and today I just went up to the post slots and bam, there's my copy of Alphabets of Desire, a long scroll of original Moore text lettered up beautifully by Todd Klein and signed by both. There were only 500 copies, so I'm damned lucky I got one (and it arrived in a third of the time Black Dossier took, so cheers to Todd Klein and jeers to Barnes & Noble). Now to find a long, thin frame. I bet that's going to be a custom job.

Oh, just looked into that Alphabets of Desire. Hadn't even heard of it til now. It looks lovely. And you have one, you lucky duck!

So I am the only one reading the Umbrella Academy then :)

This makes me sad.

No, I've been with it too. It's great.

Zero Killer is another canny title from Dark Horse which started at the same time, it seems open ended though as opposed to Umbrella Academy's finite story. Set in a post-apocalyptic New York, it's pretty far off from UU, but satisfying enough so far.

I got Nick Abadzis Laika over the weekend. It’s the story of the first animal in space told from the point of view of 3 people working on the Soviet Space program; a rocket engineer who was a prisoner in the Gulag, an animal nurse and the head of the space medicine program. It mixes fantasy and reality, I think the 3 main characters are real people or else they’re based on real people. The bits showing Laikas life as a stray are obviously made up.

I’ll read anything about the US or Soviet space programs so I really enjoyed this. It’s nicely drawn and the characters are interesting. Even though I knew the ending I still thought it was really sad.

I got it pretty cheap on Amazon. Recommended.

My Black Dossier arrived this week which is great along with Lost Girls, which I ordered on a whim as it's another Alan Moore, but it's not really my kind of thing. So I'm going to be selling it. Well once I've worked out what I can pack it into, it's bloody huge.

Might have to pop into Smiths and get 2000AD on the way home if it's hitting a new high at the minute.

Oh, I could be persuaded to buy this, if a forum sale is what you want.

pm'd Astilius.

Also, I did pick up 2000AD on the way home and the article on classic covers has made me realise I've missed all sorts of good stuff since I stopped buying the mag around 1991. Which stories do I HAVE to read? The absolute utter gems of the last 15+ years. Let me know so I can soak up the thrillpower again.

Captain America: Red White and Blue

is ok, like the 911 collections it tries to ratify the idea of Captain America in a modern PC world... and fails.

Isn't it Red, White and Black (The one were it shows the original test subjects for the Super Soldier drug were Africans?)...or am I thinking of something different?

Has anyone picked up the Gunslinger adaptation? I fancy it but book to comics tend to be a little on the shit side.

Nope its not shit, its very good indeed. However it is just Wizard and Glass in Comic book form. The second tale is starting in Feb.

Right I'm thinking on correcting mistakes and reading stuff I should have years ago.

I totally missed Morrisons run on Doom Patrol, is it worth getting the TPB's? Is it better or worse than the Invisibles, cos I loved that?

I totally missed Morrisons run on Doom Patrol, is it worth getting the TPB's? Is it better or worse than the Invisibles, cos I loved that?

Yes! Get them all, they're fabulous. Well, they go a bit off towards the end, perhaps, and reading them in TBP you can notice problems with the plots, a general lack of them for example and a certain amount of repetition. But Doom Patrol isn't about the plots, it's about the sheer volume and variety of ideas crammed into every issue. Crazy Jane, Flex Mentallo, Danny the Street, The Beard Hunter, Mr. Jones, The Quiz, Agent None - I could sit and list fantastic characters all afternoon.

The only time it gets a bit dull is when Morrison starts spending a lot of time with Rebis and being densely mystical and pretentious rather than fun, but when it's on form, which is most of the time, Doom Patrol is refreshing, baffling, hilarious, profound, sad, terrifying, optimistic, thought-provoking, hallucinatory, whimsical, instructive and so on and so forth. It's brilliant. Get it!

Yes! Get them all, they're fabulous. Well, they go a bit off towards the end, perhaps, and reading them in TBP you can notice problems with the plots, a general lack of them for example and a certain amount of repetition. But Doom Patrol isn't about the plots, it's about the sheer volume and variety of ideas crammed into every issue. Crazy Jane, Flex Mentallo, Danny the Street, The Beard Hunter, Mr. Jones, The Quiz, Agent None - I could sit and list fantastic characters all afternoon.

The only time it gets a bit dull is when Morrison starts spending a lot of time with Rebis and being densely mystical and pretentious rather than fun, but when it's on form, which is most of the time, Doom Patrol is refreshing, baffling, hilarious, profound, sad, terrifying, optimistic, thought-provoking, hallucinatory, whimsical, instructive and so on and so forth. It's brilliant. Get it!

Well I can hardly argue with that post can I.

So I'm going to try build a bigger comic presence on my bookshelf next year and need some recommendations.

I'd preferably like comics that are self-contained or don't require me to have the comic encyclopedia of history in my head. I can pretty much read anything, but I do tend towards the more action-packed type series.

Is the Warren Ellis Wildstorm stuff any good (Planetary and The Authority mainly)?

I'd preferably like comics that are self-contained or don't require me to have the comic encyclopedia of history in my head. I can pretty much read anything, but I do tend towards the more action-packed type series.

I just finished the Ultimates 2 hardcover I got for Christmas and that is about as action-packed as you can get. If you haven't read it, The Ultimates are basically a reworked and updated version of Marvel's Avengers which isn't that different at all. All nicely self-contained so if you pick up Volume 1 you've got the whole story

I'm not generally a massive fan of straight-up action extravaganza comics, but I think Mark Millar does it better than anyone else

I just finished the Ultimates 2 hardcover I got for Christmas and that is about as action-packed as you can get. If you haven't read it, The Ultimates are basically a reworked and updated version of Marvel's Avengers which isn't that different at all. All nicely self-contained so if you pick up Volume 1 you've got the whole story

I'm not generally a massive fan of straight-up action extravaganza comics, but I think Mark Millar does it better than anyone else

I really like The New Avengers picked up the Hardback of the first 10 issues of that one. Its pretty good too. Although a lot of people hate Bendis, I dont and I think the Secret Invasion is pretty cool.

Oh and if you liked Ultimates then Civil War was by Mark Millar, but it's a bit crap. IIRC Millar and Hitch start a run on the FF next issue.