IGNORED

The Watchtower - A thread for all comics

biglime

Superheroes are crap*.

100 Bullets is where its at.

Or Lone Wolf & Cub.

* - In my opinion :D

I really dig 100 Bullets and don't read much superhero stuff these days. I wouldn't call them crap though. Planetary for example is just amazing.

I got comlpetely fed up with Hush about three quarters of the way through it. The first incarnation, The Long Halloween was far superior and Hush just seemed to be a re-heated version of it. I used to be a pretty hardcore Batman fan but Hush slightly irritated me. I don't know if he's still doing it, bt I was really impressed when Scott McDaniel went to Superman. I thought he did a really great job of the artwork and it got me right into Supes.

Then my daughter was born and I quit collecting. Now you guys are going on about it and I reckon I'll drop into A1 comics at the Trongate in Glasgow tomorrow and pick some up again.

Damnit. This thread's really got my juices flowing again! :D

Fucking hell. I read in the Metro the other day that 'they' want Justin Timberlake for the Iron Man movie. I hope this rumour is like the Metro in general, i.e. bollocks.

[Janice] Oh my god[/janice] Hopefully any Iron Man film would have War Machine to.

They're cancelling it? FFS. And yet Chris Claremont is still writing comics...

I weep for the state of the comics industry.

When Marvel came up with their 'ReLoad' of the X-book creative teams I can't even begin to imagine what state of mind they were in to think that Chuck Austen and Chris Claremont could deliver any kind of quality. It's actually frightening how poor 'X-Men' and 'Uncanny' are in comparison to 'Astonishing'. I dropped the first two quite some time ago and dip in now and again but I thank my stars and garters that neither is on my list.

Yes, yes, an X-book always sells. . but c'mon - that's no excuse.

Floating the comics boat lately:

Ultimates 2; Authority: Revolution (I couldn't believe I was enjoying this title again); Lucifer; Planetary; Bear (back to being good again); Invincible Iron Man; Madrox.

Shame about Human Target. Bit miffed too if The Losers goes the same way.

OK, speaking as someone who was bang into comics years ago, I stumbled across this thread with interest. Used to be a big DC fan, and still have hundreds saved in their mylar bags back at my dad's house - JLA/JLE, Batman, Green Lantern... loved them all. Also had about 600 issues of 2000AD last time I checked, but I stopped buying comics when I went to Uni - about 7/8 years ago.

Still, they're something I've always loved, and meant to get back into, even if it's just the odd title I could collect and enjoy. What would you guys recommend to ease me back into the world?

I'm not a serious comic nut, but my list at the moment consists of:

Ultimate Spiderman

Ultimate Fantastic 4

Ultimates

Green Arrow

The Phantom

And any interesting mini-series that start - Green Lantern Rebirth (Hal is coming back!) and Ultimate Nightmare at the moment. The latter is kinda shit though. All the above except that are very much worth getting on a week in, week out basis. None are that far advanced (well Ultimate Spidey is at 70 now and Green Arrow 46) but TPB's are very easy to get for both.

I could live without most of them, but Green Arrow and Ultimate Spiderman are both loved with a passion.

Probably all good places to start getting back again.

Oh and I've started collecting Flash now...some good stuff going on in there post identity crisis.

Anyone here reading Sandman?

yeah l have, l think its a given title to read next to Watchmen.

BTW while l like Wolverine, l think he's so criminally overused. The guy is practically in every team book Marvel has brought out, or a title which needs the extra sales. He's become very dull, and the only decent thing to come out of him is Joss Wheldon's intepretation which is funny.

BTW while l like Wolverine, l think he's so criminally overused. The guy is practically in every team book Marvel has brought out, or a title which needs the extra sales. He's become very dull, and the only decent thing to come out of him is Joss Wheldon's intepretation which is funny.

I never did read Sandman...

Strange that - I've read almost all the biggies since starting to read comics...

I have only read the watchmen, thought it was fucking great. What else is good?

I haven't read the rest of this thread either, just pages 1+5 :(

One of the interesting things about buying comics (well, graphic novels) again after a 6 year break is finding stuff by your favourite authors that you've never heard of.

Enemy Ace War in Heaven - by Garth Ennis. Now, I've read Enemy Ace War Idyll, but never knew there was a sequel by Ennis. Very good it is too.

The Filth by Grant Morrison. A fantastic read that is perhaps a bit too similar to the Invisibles in places, but great nonetheless.

1602 by Neil Gaiman. Blimey, I thought Neil had given up comics and gone all serious. One of the best reads of recent times for me.

I've also being trying to get into Morrisons Xmen stuff. I finished the first graphic novel last night and it was a bit "meh", but certainly improved towards the end. It seems to be missing sections of the story. Did it cross over with another Xmen comic?

I've also being trying to get into Morrisons Xmen stuff. I finished the first graphic novel last night and it was a bit "meh", but certainly improved towards the end. It seems to be missing sections of the story. Did it cross over with another Xmen comic?

To the best of my knowledge it didn't cross over into the other X-titles - certainly not any of the issues collected in 'E Is For Extinction' (first trade). The only conceivable tie-in is that Beast's new form is a result of a change made over in the thankfully short-lived 'X-treme X-Men'.

Morrison has oft-stated that his New X-Men run is one giant graphic novel (which is why I'd like to a see a 'Complete' edition) but you don't have to 'have the lot' to get the best out of it. It's broken up into plenty of arcs which I think stand up well on their own but which also come together beautifully at the end.

Aside from rejuvenating the franchise, Morrison managed to make Wolverine interesting so his run gets my vote on that alone.

I really want to read that comic that saw Spider-Man visit the Isle of Skye. It sounds great. Not just because I love the character and I know the place well, but because I can't imagine how Spider-Man would go about his business in wide open country. I guess he'd websling from Cuillin to Cuillin. And that's something I have to see.

Anyone know more?

I really want to read that comic that saw Spider-Man visit the Isle of Skye. It sounds great. Not just because I love the character and I know the place well, but because I can't imagine how Spider-Man would go about his business in wide open country. I guess he'd websling from Cuillin to Cuillin. And that's something I have to see.

Anyone know more?

Are you serious? Or are you talking SMACK like you usually do?

I got comlpetely fed up with Hush about three quarters of the way through it. The first incarnation, The Long Halloween was far superior and Hush just seemed to be a re-heated version of it. I used to be a pretty hardcore Batman fan but Hush slightly irritated me. I don't know if he's still doing it, bt I was really impressed when Scott McDaniel went to Superman. I thought he did a really great job of the artwork and it got me right into Supes.

Then my daughter was born and I quit collecting. Now you guys are going on about it and I reckon I'll drop into A1 comics at the Trongate in Glasgow tomorrow and pick some up again.

Damnit. This thread's really got my juices flowing again!  :D

I've just read Batman Hush and liked it...

It's funny but after my daughter was born 3yrs ago last June I started collecting about a yr after she was born, i have not read "The Long Halloween" though, i'll have to look out for that

My missus ordered a Yoda t-shirt for my daughter, who loves Star Wars :(

There are only two trades so far and they're numbered so you shouldn't have too much trouble working out which to read first. First one starts off a bit like 28 Days Later... with a cop waking up in hospital to find the world is a wee bit fucked.

Sometimes, I wish there'd be a real zombie apocalypse. But only for a couple of minutes, mind.

I haven't, but might.

What was the name of that JLA run about how Ra's got his hands on Batman's "Big Book of How To Kill The JLA in 5 Easy Steps"? It's the only Superteam run i'm even vaguely interested in.

As for me, I get Detective Comics (can't be bothered with the superhero side of Batman, but like the detective angle lots), Spawn (still VFM, although Macca should live up to his promise and start working towards a finale), Sam & Twitch (fantastic DetCom stuff), The Darkness (weak, but I keep thinking/hoping it'll improve :D ) and Planetary (amazing, although I find it hard to follow, as I don't know much comics history, and it's essentially an alternative history of other comic teams/characters, like Doc Savage, FF etc. i've been told :o )

I'm going to start Walking Dead soon, and try and get some Mark Millar Wanted, too. I have to sell some old stuff soon (space man, space), so if anyone's interested in some Detective Comics: Batman, or old X Men circa 1990-96 odd, give me a shout :P

Hurrah, I've just learned that 20th Century Boys by Naoki Urasawa (I'm sure I mentioned how great this manga is) is possibly licensed. I want my paper based copy!

Strange that, I have no qualms about having loads of films and TV series on my PC, but when it comes to books and stuff I need to have an actual copy. :o