The Dears

Andy_Tanner

the first thing that hit me listening to this album was just how remarkably similar to Damon Albarn their singer sounds, although The Dears singer can actually sing, properly, unlike Blur's font man. second thing to hit me was, fucking hell, just how amazingly, heart warmingly, fantastic is this album?!

fucking brilliant.

This guy?

murray.jpg

Aye. They're ace. They used to be a bit more quirky and unpredictable but No Cities Left sees them right, at last. I was prodded some tunes by a Canadian interweb friend of mine a few years ago and was tickled, but once I heard 'Lost The Plot' I was sold.

They're an experience live too, even though they never played 'Postcard From Purgatory' when I saw them.

The album should also be SUPER cheap. If you're paying more than a tenner in even HMV you're doing something wrong. It would still be worth it, mind.

Q described the band as Blur meets The Smiths which is a fair appraisal if you ask me...

Lazy, predictable and clichéd too.

Postcard is the best track on the album though. The more I listen to it, the more the 'not so good' tracks catch up with the 'better than the not so good' tracks though.

I don't really here a Northern or Londonian twinge in Lightburn's voice though, am I missing something?

I was talking to the guitaristy dude on MSN last week [bought him a jar after their set, he doesn't really do anything for the band but play rhythm geetar live] and said they'll be back in the Spring!!!

I don't really here a Northern or Londonian twinge in Lightburn's voice though, am I missing something?

but don't you think he sounds an awful lot like Damon Albarn?

Blur sings the Smiths is a good starting reference. it's a brilliant album which constantly shifts it's focus and surprises along the way. i love the way Expect The Worst/'Cos She's a Tourist starts off all angsty before subsiding into something chilled and sublime, for instance. some lovely subtle jazzy/loungey bits too.