Last Weeks Nme? [dears Review/student Guide]

It's an awful magazine/paper. My sister buys it most weeks so last time I flicked through it was just before she went back to uni.

The reviews are terrible, the news stories are terrible, the features are terrible. It's no more relevant than smash hits.

It's a tabloid, all hype no substance.

l thought it was slumping in sales. l always thought those student guides were crap, and for complete idiots who didn't know what the fuck they were orignally doing in the first place.

l never forgive them for slating my mate's band too...bastards.

They had a job advert in The Guardian for NME the other week for a new staff writer. It said no writing experience required.

Figures.

Well that's fine, they got people like Burchill and Parsons by not demanding previous experience. I think the reason I'm not as keen on it now is more about editorial direction than the quality of the writers.

Plus, I'm, an old git who shouldn't be reading the NME anyway.

Super, all these replies and I still can't get hold of it.

If someone really wants to go covert they could PM me or something, I'm only after the The Dears review to send to a friend in Canada who told me about them in the first place. I don't even know what they gave it [nor do I really care]. The Studenty Guide thing would be nice, considering it's aimed at, well, me.

The NME still had a heartbeat before it's most recent redesign, now they justify charging almost 2 bob by slapping some posters inside and making it a shiny on the outside. It's still hilarious to read praise for Band A 4 pages in and then an utter slagging in the reviews section.

So every other half assed Dears fan can get the review, this guy wants the actual printedy thing, and it's only a few reviews out of 10+ per issue.

But that's not the point, he wants the physical review to add to his 'collection'.

No, only the "main" reviews get put on the website. The smaller reviews don't ever get put on the website AFAIK.

Wasn't The Dears a major review?

But fair enough, I only saw there were a fair few on there.

Anyone remember the Melody Maker, BTW? That had a poor final year, turning to worshipping nu metal that kind of shit.

And don't forget Raw. Anyone remember one of the finest heavy metal magazines of its era?

When you talk about selling out, you immediately look towards Raw and it suddenly deciding to start covering bands like Oasis, Pulp, Blur and... Echobelly around 1995. Needless to say, it died rather quickly.

Wasn't The Dears a major review?

But fair enough, I only saw there were a fair few on there.

I have no idea is The Dears was a major review or not (as I don't get the NME). I was just responding to the statement that "all" NME reviews end up on the website, which they don't.