Adventure Games

I'm currently playing Digital Jesters' Sherlock Holmes game and perversely enjoying it in spite of its obvious flaws since it offers a bit of a change of pace from the other stuff I'm playing. It seems there's a bit of an adventure game revival going on in places like Germany at the moment. The Longest Journey sequel's in development. The latest Myst game is out now. The last proper adventure game I played was Broken Sword III, which I enjoyed but again, it wasn't perfect (and it felt like it had been a bit rushed towards the end).

So is there still space for the adventure game to exist? Would anyone like to see more of them? Or would you rather the genre just died a death? Or would you like to see it evolve in some way?

Your thoughts please. I'd just like to mull them over, like.

Honestly, I used to love games like Police Quest, King's Quest, Larry etc. I think it was because it constantly made you think and the scripts were usually good enough to make you want to continue.

Myst I never really got into, probably as my machine wasn't that poweful to play it.

But Broken Sword, Deja Vu, and Monkey Island are all faves of mine. I think their is still a future in these games but they will only work if they stop concentrating so much on graphics and go back to focussing on the storyline.

I feel that the genre is ready to evolve, and that a title with the promise of Fahrenheit could well be the game to bring about change. If the game delivers, it could well be the kickstart that adventure games need. I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for it.

That said, there are a number of promising 'traditional' adventures on the horizon: Still Life and The Moment of Silence look particularly good. You've also got relatively recent games like the Syberia series which were particularly strong.

Add to that Dreamfall and the Beneath A Steel Sky sequel, and all of a sudden the genre doesn't look so dead in the water. The games are out there, it's just that there's not enough noise.

Also worth keeping an eye on are Telltale Games, who are made up from a bunch of the ex-LucasArts guys. They're currently working on short adventures to be distributed online, as well as a game based around a 'well loved licence'.

Honestly, I used to love games like Police Quest, King's Quest, Larry etc. I think it was because it constantly made you think and the scripts were usually good enough to make you want to continue.

I really couldn't get on with the sierra online stuff, mainly because of the instant death things. Just driving anywhere in Police Quest was a trial in itself.

I recently played through Broken Sword 1/2/3 back to back. Realy a wonderful series of games - as a series, they were intelligent, emotional and funny. Really the best set of adventures I played. Nothing's been that good for me since the original release of Monkey Island.

But is there room for these games on the shelf... dunno, we're not really "normal people" here, so it's hard to give a good guess. I certainly hope so, in many ways the narritive based adventure can be the true "mature" game, though would expect at the very least they'd have an interface similar to Broken Sword 3's rather that the point and click stuff of previous adventures.

However, going by the amount of adventures on the shelf in Game, I can only guess they are not a huge commercial success, and hence are a dying breed.

Ten years later, and I still use "you fight like a dairy farmer!" at every opputunity. ah, happy days. This is one genre that's fallen victim to the popularization (is that a real word ;) ) of games; The average gamer today is going to pick "you're this superpowered space marine with really big guns and you kill things" over "your name is guybrush and you talk to people". I do wish they'd bring some out on the advance though, marketed properly it could draw more older gamers to nintendo.

I personally think that, with the exception of Broken Sword, adventure games are better in 2D. Titles such as Beneath a Steel Sky, Lure of the Temptress and Sam and Max to name but a few put the latest Monkey Island iterations to shame. It's a shame that a sequel to Sam and Max was canned, that could have been very special.

The last wave of REALLY good adventure games were the noun-driven LucasArts point'n'click games. Everything that came after with icons or context sensitive cursors didn't do it for me really, although I enjoyed the Broken Sword series and Syberia. These days there just don't seem to be adventures that have puzzles that make you scratch your head for hours and then slap yourself in the face when you find out how logically they (actually) are.

I'm currently playing Digital Jesters' Sherlock Holmes game and perversely enjoying it in spite of its obvious flaws since it offers a bit of a change of pace from the other stuff I'm playing. It seems there's a bit of an adventure game revival going on in places like Germany at the moment. The Longest Journey sequel's in development. The latest Myst game is out now. The last proper adventure game I played was Broken Sword III, which I enjoyed but again, it wasn't perfect (and it felt like it had been a bit rushed towards the end).

So is there still space for the adventure game to exist? Would anyone like to see more of them? Or would you rather the genre just died a death? Or would you like to see it evolve in some way?

Your thoughts please. I'd just like to mull them over, like.

Are you talking about Sherlock Holmes and the case of the serrated scalpel by any chance?

Which was absolutely brilliant, and ROCKhard !

Best 10 adventures:

1. The secret of Monkey Island

2. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

3. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

4. The Legend of Kyrandia

5. Loom

6. Day of the Tentacle

7. Sam & Max hit the road

8. Sherlock Holmes and the case of the serrated scalpel

9. Leisure Suit Larry 5

10. Cruise for a Corpse

adventure.png

The animation on the portcullis was outstanding. And where else do you get a bat AND get to carry a bridge?

Considering the simplistic nature of the game, it was brilliant.

Lucas Games and Sierra`Adventure games where completly different. I loved the Sierra games for their way of rewarding you when you figured somehting out. And how they mocked you when you did something stupid such as the

"guess what Roger, gravity sucks!" message when you walked of a cliff.

The Monkey Island games with their incredible relaxed, mellow atmosphere filled with humor to compensate fot the lack of fatalities were equally great. And Westwood`s (back when they were the nice Westwood) Kyrandia and Hand Of Fate

who when I think of it was like a hybdrid between the 2 systems of fatalities vs humor. I tried the 3d Monkey Islands and I couldnt be bothered to complete them. The humor wasnt the same with Voice over acting and the graphics was not the same either.

sq2_preview.gif

Leisure_Suit_Larry_1.1987.gif

*You did know about the Robocop vision cheat in Larrys? Alt-v Alt-b Alt-p

I never liked the classic style adventure games. During the 8bit era I played a few, but never really liked the genre. I missed the 16bit era so all the so called classics I have never played.

I recently completed Broken Sword III. I brought it on the strength of the brand and Edge's 9/10 review. I have enjoyed the game and it did make me laugh out loud a few times, but as someone new to the genre I was surprised how similar to play BS3 was to games like Beyond Good & Evil, Ico, Resident Evil, Silent Hill etc.

The main difference between BSIII and these adventure games seemed to be fighting and jumping. What is good about BS3 is that you can take your time and not worry about being killed. What is bad about Ico is the shadow monsters appear if you leave Yorda on her own too long.

I can see a world where 3d adventure games with a leisurely pace could be popular. I've not played Gregory Horror Show, does this have any of these attributes?

What would be great is if you had the option to turn off the action bits in an action adventure. Turn on auto jumping, turn on auto fighting or turn on auto puzzle solving if you just like the jumping and figthting. Sometimes you just want to wander around in the game world and not worry about being killed.

Gregory Horror Show plays like a traditional adventure game, in that its puzzles, plot & character interaction, no combat etc.. but it does have puzzles where you have to be at a cirtain place in a cirtain time (there is an in game clock and you can only solve some puzzles at different times, a lot of it is learning the routines and getting to know who will be where at what time.).

also a couple of other recent adventures not mentioned here:

Konami's Shadow Of Memories came out at the start of the PS2's life, it was the first adventure game that didnt feel awkward or forced in 3D. It used an earlier version of the Silent Hill 2 engine, set in a fictional german town in four different periods in its history. It was actually a really easy game and fairly short, but I think this worked in its favour, a short but well designed game is better than a long repetative one that runs out of steam halfway.

Glass Rose came out a few months ago from Capcom, its more a traditional adventure, using rendered backgrounds in a simular way to syberia. A lot of the puzzles revolve around highlighting the text that people say in the game, its a bit wierd but works well.. the game looks fantastic.. has its moments .. although the plot is pure japanese wooden melodrama madness :wub:

I'm trying to get into Adventure Game Studio to write my own point and click games, it's really quite nice to use, although I've only got a chap wandering around a room with two things to look at heh.

Link:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk

I've had my eye on the forums for this for the last few years. They put together some pretty decent stuff.

I'd love to make something in it but can't decide what to do.

I've also managed a guy wandering around a room and looking at stuff. I made him press a switch that changed the background. GO ME!