Bloc Party

dreamylittledream

Hey hey look, it's the "Beat Up The Hyped Band" brigade!! Hooray!! :D

Er.... usually at least you let the people actually release their album before slating them royally, guys!

Anyway, for what it's worth in this typical "We hate everything good just because we want to appear all pseudo-intellectual and cool by railing against critics and popular opinion" thread, let me just say that I have the Bloc Party album and it's fucking fantastic.

Now please feel free to continue the elitist crap. You know it makes sense. B)

Hey kids, they're on the front of NME! Discuss.

Anyway, Jools? That's pretty surprising. Pretended we saw them play (after coming out from Taking Back Sunday and meeting them). Apparently not many people were there (Birmingham Bar Academy).

But they're not bad. Bought Helicopter or whatever, and liked Little Thoughts. That's about it.

i'm not down on them because they're hyped. i have the album and it's awful whingey dour British indie of the kind i'd thought died long ago.

I thought you'd be quite into this, Andy, going on your other tastes. I really like it a lot, and don't see the dour indie thing. I just think they're (mostly) strong tunes, regardless of their indie credentials or owt.

..plus, I think it's actually the pacing of the whole thing that I really love. They way that they build up layers of guitars and vocals over the course of a song. Ooh, it's like the musical equivalent of chicken soup it is, they whole thing just makes me feel cheery and warm.

Hey hey look, it's the "Beat Up The Hyped Band" brigade!! Hooray!! :)

Er.... usually at least you let the people actually release their album before slating them royally, guys!

Anyway, for what it's worth in this typical "We hate everything good just because we want to appear all pseudo-intellectual and cool by railing against critics and popular opinion" thread, let me just say that I have the Bloc Party album and it's fucking fantastic.

Now please feel free to continue the elitist crap. You know it makes sense. B)

You know, I'm actually pretty offended by that post, but I'm going to try to reign myself in.

Suffice to say that how much a band is hyped, how new they are, or how popular they are, has absolutely no bearing on whether I like a band or not, and nor does trying to appear to be intellectual.

I just like them, or I don't. Please don't try to infer otherwise, lest you lay yourself open to the same accusation, in reverse.

You know, I'm actually pretty offended by that post, but I'm going to try to reign myself in.

Suffice to say that how much a band is hyped, how new they are, or how popular they are, has absolutely no bearing on whether I like a band or not, and nor does trying to appear to be intellectual.

I just like them, or I don't. Please don't try to infer otherwise, lest you lay yourself open to the same accusation, in reverse.

Sorry if you're offended, DSD, this doesn't apply to you then, but there is definitely a anti-hyped-band-bandwagon that starts almost as soon as NME start talking about a group. Surely you've noticed this before?

Generally because NME tend to hype incredibly bland, generic indie rock outfits that no one remembers six months after their 'explosive 9/10 debut'.

.....But they also occasionally hype bands who are actually rather good, who still get the same inevitable treatment from the pseudo-intellectual brigade. And sorry if it seems like I'm unfairly targeting rllmuk here, let me just clarify by saying that it annoys me because it's all over the Net. "Popular band? Oh let's say they're shit just for the hell of it."

.....But they also occasionally hype bands who are actually rather good, who still get the same inevitable treatment from the pseudo-intellectual brigade. And sorry if it seems like I'm unfairly targeting rllmuk here, let me just clarify by saying that it annoys me because it's all over the Net. "Popular band? Oh let's say they're shit just for the hell of it."

They barely mentioned The Arcade Fire, a band with the strongest debut record of the entire year.

People react against NME because they always champion middle of the road, pseudo-alternative toss to market the magazine to as wide an audience as possible. There's no integrity at all.

They barely mentioned The Arcade Fire, a band with the strongest debut record of the entire year.

People react against NME because they always champion middle of the road, pseudo-alternative toss to market the magazine to as wide an audience as possible. There's no integrity at all.

Glad to hear it is, because I got it off Soulseek yesterday! However, it's not even released over here until next month, so I imagine it'll only be a week or two before NME go into full-on "NME mode" with them.

And you're right about the lack of integrity with NME completely, I'm just making the point that the anti-hype brigade have no integrity either. They don't hate the music, they just hate NME, and their opinion of bands is intrinsically linked with what NME writes. So in effect they're exactly the same as the people they despise - those who base their music taste entirely on what's currently flavour of the month in NME - only in reverse. See what I mean?

Oops, I thought you were quite into loads of older british indie stuff, The Cure, etc.. cos it's that scene that Bloc Party really remind me of.

Sorry if I got you mixed up with someone else!  Or maybe you just don't agree.  :)

erm, i like loads of stuff. The Cure ? possibly, not a massive fan and i certainly haven't listened with interest to anything they've done post Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me. i'm not trying to appear awkward i just genuinely wondered which artists you were referring to. older British indie stuff ? well, if you stick Hex Enduction Hour by The Fall (for example) on after Bloc Party it's quite startling just how good it once was (British 'indie' that is, not HEH which it still sounds as fresh as ever).

Glad to hear it is, because I got it off Soulseek yesterday! However, it's not even released over here until next month, so I imagine it'll only be a week or two before NME go into full-on "NME mode" with them.

And you're right about the lack of integrity with NME completely, I'm just making the point that the anti-hype brigade have no integrity either. They don't hate the music, they just hate NME, and their opinion of bands is intrinsically linked with what NME writes. So in effect they're exactly the same as the people they despise - those who base their music taste entirely on what's currently flavour of the month in NME - only in reverse. See what I mean?

It's pretty obvious when someone's buying hype, but it's also obvious when people are buying anti-hype. I don't see any evidence of the latter from this thread so far, just people saying they don't like the music.

You're on thin ice if you apply that philosophy to anyone at all. People's tastes are different, that's all. Just because people don't like Bloc Party, don't assume they're rebelling against the hype, because that is to devalue their opinion.

I'm not assuming anything and I'm sorry if it comes across that way, but there are muchos examples of the anti-bandwagon over the past few years, with many people saying "such and such are shit" having barely even heard any tracks and simply going with the popular forum opinion. I've just learned to recognise the signs!! And once again I'm not basing this on rllmuk, I don't make a habit of entering the music area on here, but this thread was showing signs of going down the same path. Bloc Party is "generic indie"..... I mean, come on!!! That's just rubbish. I'm perfectly happy for people not to like any band, but having a reason that's totally untrue under even the most superficial analysis is ridiculous.

I see the point, but I don't agree that people are suppressing their taste in music just to spite the NME. People spite the NME because they hate the bland nature of the music the NME champions. There's a name for this kind of logic, I'm just not smart enough to remember what it is. Circular? I don't know.

I see the point, but I don't agree that people are suppressing their taste in music just to spite the NME. People spite the NME because they hate the bland nature of the music the NME champions. There's a name for this kind of logic, I'm just not smart enough to remember what it is. Circular? I don't know.

I like to think of NME as "The Mag That Cried Wolf."

erm, i like loads of stuff. The Cure ? possibly, not a massive fan and i certainly haven't listened with interest to anything they've done post Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me. i'm not trying to appear awkward i just genuinely wondered which artists you were referring to. older British indie stuff ? well, if you stick Hex Enduction Hour by The Fall (for example) on after Bloc Party it's quite startling just good it once was.

Oh, I prolly messed up there, I have a terrible memory.

Interested now, though: in the words of Reeves and Mortimer, "I am ignorant of The Fall." Where would you recommend I start? There's so much bleedin' material..