Bloc Party

dreamylittledream

As far as I'm aware Franz Ferdinand have been friends with B+S for a fair while ( didn't Alex appear in a B+S photoshoot? ) so maybe you just caught them on an off day. Anyway back to the main topic - Bloc Party... they're ok I suppose.

As far as I'm aware Franz Ferdinand have been friends with B+S for a fair while ( didn't Alex appear in a B+S photoshoot? ) so maybe you just caught them on an off day. Anyway back to the main topic - Bloc Party... they're ok I suppose.

....or maybe Crispin was having an off-day. He certainly seems to be a moody fellow! ;)

yeah l don't like FF, prefer Bloc Party who don't sound anything like them. l haven't been listening to any bands more anstract beats in the last few years so listening to stuff like Razorlight and Bloc Party just helps me to relax and chill.

Can't we all just agree Bloc Party are better than any band ever and let it be?

Anyway, the early stuff is going for insane amounts on eBay and although they're good- the hype is liable to outrun them, especially if they don't explode into some Franz/U2 megaband.

It's also highlighting the sheer cunthandedness of eBay touts. I did have to bite my lip not sliding some London tickets onto my order for the handful of dates in March, but the prices some dickheads are selling ~£10 tickets for is sick.

I'm off to hug my spare Banquet EP...

The Arcade Fire are a good example of a band that haven't been hyped in NME. They get more letters asking why they arent hyping them than they actually get hype.

I heard of them through the comic questionablecontent.net and really took notice after the 9.8 review on pitchfork.

Until they play some live dates here and properly release their album you cant be expecting troo much love really can you, they could still go the way of The Shins of course. Still, they're the band I want to see more than any other in 05 as their live shows sound incredible.

Are you referring to Little Kix (which indeed was shit), or their fourth album which struggled onto limited shelves at the end of last year due to demand from their fansite (much better)?

Actually, you bring up another good point about NME. They are the classic case of "build 'em up to knock 'em down". They must have had Craig Nicholls and The Vines on their front cover 30 weeks out of the year between the first and second albums, and then the NME totally fucked them by giving the second album a terrible review. It wasn't THAT bad, particularly going by the criteria that they gave Highly Evolved a 9! The turncoats! I'm not saying anything about how good or bad the Vines are, I'm just saying that the NME's behaviour was outrageous. Turned on a dime, they did!

I noticed the other month they took a few swipes at The Strokes and a friend informs me they said that Room On Fire only had one good track on it. The NME gave that album a 9.

I'm sure the reason this happens is that the NME's writers all seem to have their own agenda and resent looking like one editorial body. It's almost as if they're over-compensating for getting swept up in the wave of hype and wake up with some sort of journalistic hangover "I can't believe I said that last night".... does that make sense? It's quite late.

I've been looking forward to Bloc Party's album since I saw them supporting Graham Coxon sometime last year. It's out Valentine's day no?

picked up the NME last night and my word it's shit. since when was it targeted at teenagers? i'm only 26 and felt old reading the bastard thing.

since a few years ago. it's sad really because when it was good (80's through early ninties) it was a great source of inspiration.

I noticed the other month they took a few swipes at The Strokes and a friend informs me they said that Room On Fire only had one good track on it. The NME gave that album a 9.

I'm sure the reason this happens is that the NME's writers all seem to have their own agenda and resent looking like one editorial body. It's almost as if they're over-compensating for getting swept up in the wave of hype and wake up with some sort of journalistic hangover "I can't believe I said that last night".... does that make sense? It's quite late.

Perversely, I don't think they do this enough nowadays. The NME's always (in my memory) slagged off bands that they previously hyped up, but they used to do it a lot more, and be a lot funnier with it (again, in my memory). Prime example: The Stereophonics.

Easyworld did a pretty funny advert for their last album, pointing out how hypocritical the NME was in reviewing them, on a full page in the NME.

The last issue I bought was the John Peel tribute issue. The stuff I bought it for was excellent, but the rest of the magazine was utterly dire.

We take our mother to see the Scissor Sisters perform! Because they have a song called take your mama out! We're Crazy!

Awful.

On topic - in my opinion Bloc Party are pretty good. Nothing particularly new, but then again I don't care about that really. Ditto The Arcade Fire, although I'd lean towards preferring them. I don't like Franz Ferdinand though - a greatest hits band methinks.

They're not as good as The Arcade Fire by a long shot. MORE LOVE FOR THE FIRE.

I don't know whose tour is going to turn into more of an eBay farce, to be honest. People are already selling Astoria tickets for Bloc Party at double the face value, and it hasn't sold out.

Mind you, Pretty Girls Make Graves are supporting! Funeral comes out at the end of Feb, I think. No sniff of a bad assed tour here though :(

Fuck me, the Arcade Fire London show has sold out already. I'm glad I got my tickets quickly!

Also read in the Matador newsletter that Bloc Party have asked Cornelius to do a remix for them. Respect.

Has it? I hope that my little bro got my tickets earlier in the week!! I haven't talked to him since he asked me if I wanted to go....