IGNORED

Ilovebees

Sybernetix

think if they get the scary feel of Alien vs Predator or system shock into the metroid universe. A tension, a nerve, that ticks on your brain while playing. that would be ace!

I tend to think "moody" rather than "scary"

The games you mentioned tend to play on your own mortality to induce fear, which would be difficult to achieve in a Metroid game given Samus' vocation as a one women walking death machine.

I tend to think "moody" rather than "scary"

The games you mentioned tend to play on your own mortality to induce fear, which would be difficult to achieve in a Metroid game given Samus' vocation as a one women walking death machine.

Yes, but theres definitely a feeling in the game of being more "exposed" than in previous Metroids due to the nature of the dark world. I.e. you can only safely stand in certain areas without having your lifeforce zapped. Makes the game a whole lot more claustrophobic than Prime.

The-pope-smokes-dope!:

If it was sony or microsoft doing such a "joke" towards something, would you still label it childish, or is it just because of ninty=kiddy perception?

Yes, This is the kind of tat that was served up between the Sun and The Mirror during their price wars, utter tosh that the industry should be avoiding.

Actually, thinking about it, these are more likely (I Hope) to be the work of fanboys than Nintendos A&R dept.

They're the company Nintendo hired to advertise it, aren't they?

But they are shit. No one quotes All Your Base anymore. I'd have done it like:

"Halo 2 is fucking awful."

I don't think anyone's actually getting worked up about it.

It's just a shit campaign.

ILoveBees was a masterful bit of work. And this is just a further example of the 'any old shit will do' approach that Nintendo seems to take these days.

EDIT: Actually, this surely can't be an officially commissioned Nintendo campaign. A dated reference to something that wasn't funny in the first place, and a reference to a competitor's game's superior marketing savvy?

WTF? No chance.

I still can't help the feeling that if Microsoft had done something poking fun at Nintendo everyone would think it was hilarious and we wouldn't be seeing any of the crazy indignation we're seeing here.

And four years ago, it would have been the other way around.

Plus ca change.

I think it's something nice on Nintendo's part for mocking the entire the stupid "ilovebees" business. A throwaway thing, yeah, but still nice as a direct response. I thought the whole ilovebees.com thing was stupid anyway - "whooo, look at me, i can put together a loose plotline based around a badly make webpage and blog that will keep people busy for ages".

If Nintendo had put content on the sites, you'd all be saying "NINTENDO ARE STEALING MICROSOFT'S IDEA!!1O1NELEVEN".

ILoveBees was a masterful bit of work. And this is just a further example of the 'any old shit will do' approach that Nintendo seems to take these days.

Oh, please. If anything, ILoveBees was an example of an "any old shit will do" advertising campaign, and it fucking worked. Seriously, send out some honey to a few people, hide some wavs in some JPGs and keep people with nothing better to do to guess the "hidden meaning" which even the writer hasn't come up with yet. Voila.

Oh, please. If anything, ILoveBees was an example of an "any old shit will do" advertising campaign, and it fucking worked. Seriously, send out some honey to a few people, hide some wavs in some JPGs and keep people with nothing better to do to guess the "hidden meaning" which even the writer hasn't come up with yet. Voila.

I get the distinct impression you've not followed the campaign particularly closely, there's a fucking good story and some great writing in them thar wav's and files... even if you don't like it you could hardly describe it as "any old shit".

Oh dear.

Shall we get back to evaluating marketing concepts on how much buzz they generate?

Buzz. I love bees. Do you see?

Oh dear.

Shall we get back to evaluating marketing concepts on how much buzz they generate?

Buzz. I love bees. Do you see?

So what you're saying is:

Shit advertising is fine as long as it works.

And this thread (and the other one) kinda proves that the £100 Nintendo spent registering those domains was worthwhile whether original or not. Tru-fucking-fax.

I get the distinct impression you've not followed the campaign particularly closely, there's a fucking good story and some great writing  in them thar wav's and files... even if you don't like it you could hardly describe it as "any old shit".

I believe the whole medium of the game is flawed as a whole.

No.

Okay then... to put it another way...

Okay, lets work this out then based on posts on this forum as a measure of "buzz". Y'know, this is the amount of free advertisement this website has provided as a direct impact of their respective campaigns.

So... 535 posts on the I Love Bees thread. 110 posts on this thread and the other thread in total. So, to make it worthwhile, this campaign must have cost ~5x less than I Love Bees. Y'know, I think it did.

There was a time when Nintendo was leading the world of videogames, instead of spending time slagging off competitors and their consoles, marketing campaigns etc. What a shame.

Reggie - Nintendo needs to spend less time kicking ass and more time making games.