Edge Has Really Messed Up.

barkbat

I haven't seen the new design yet. Can I just say what I liked about issue #142 (haven't got #143, sadly), visually/presentationally?

Everything.

Honestly. To me, it was the pinnacle of great magazine design. The main, near-perfect elements:

• The ICO 'sequel' cover, with its transparent embossed back cover
  • The previews, with the slim column of text and the right number of clean, clear screenshots
  • The Wanda And Colossus article itself - the presentation was so close to the design temperament seen in ICO that it was a joy. Pages 55 and 58....who could fail to see these as perfect layouts?
  • The Introversion/Darwinia feature....just lovely. This and the 'ICO 2' layouts almost felt like an extension of the respective games.
  • The two page 'Reaching Out' splash, pages 77 and 78. Simple, fun, appealing. Readable.
  • The making of WipEout. As above, really.

The whole thing was great - presentationally - from start to finish. I was truly impressed, and I haven't always been Edge's biggest fan.

So, does the new layout compare to this?

After all this furore I think the best place for me to start is the first page of the mag. Every time I've raised an eyebrow at a controversial score being posted or a strong lead article being decried, the editorial lead-in has invariably provided raitonale and convinced me that the matter was handled with the same sobriety as ever.

Given TM not wholly concurring with the press release version of events, I imagine the Edge team made sure their decisions have been justified within the mag, if not explicitly here.

At this stage I'm genuinely surprised at only 2 pages for Half-Life 2, though. Perhaps there's less exposition of a game from now on? Damn you buggers for getting the mag first and rendering my opinions moot once I finally arrive at the party :ph34r:

Perhaps you should - I don't know, call me crazy - wait until you've seen the new issue before you write to the editor complaining about it?

Nooooooo.... :ph34r:

I must find that "How to use an Internet Forum" flash animation again. It quite clearly states that a lack of pertinent information on the subject under discussion isn't to be used as an excuse not to post.

excuse me if i'm being ignorant, but is it against the forums rules to put a few scans up of the new mag, just to see what it looks like.

Most of us will already be buying it - i'd love to actually see what it's like, and having looked for it this morning i'm assuiming it's not out in the shops yet.

excuse me if i'm being ignorant, but is it against the forums rules to put a few scans up of the new mag, just to see what it looks like.

Most of us will already be buying it - i'd love to actually see what it's like, and having looked for it this morning i'm assuiming it's not out in the shops yet.

Insert Halo 2 analogy here.

Normally, I would agree with you entirely. Normally, nothing pisses me off more than the people who slag off, say MGS3, before they have even played it. But, I feel I have a good grasp of what is different with the re-design of Edge to at least give a few initial thoughts.

I despise change for changes sake. Mr Mott ( and please correct me if I am wrong here TM ) has stated that the mag needed changing because it hadn't been done for the last 4 years. Why? Edge was the best designed games mag on the market BY FAR.

I despise change for changes sake. Mr Mott ( and please correct me if I am wrong here TM ) has stated that the mag needed changing because it hadn't been done for the last 4 years. Why? Edge was the best designed games mag on the market BY FAR.

Moreover, I think what he meant it that was starting to feel a little stale. 4 years is a long time to run a magazine identity. Testament perhaps in some ways to its design then, but that change was due.

I haven't seen the new design yet. Can I just say what I liked about issue #142 (haven't got #143, sadly), visually/presentationally?

Everything.

Honestly. To me, it was the pinnacle of great magazine design. The main, near-perfect elements:

• The ICO 'sequel' cover, with its transparent embossed back cover
  • The previews, with the slim column of text and the right number of clean, clear screenshots
  • The Wanda And Colossus article itself - the presentation was so close to the design temperament seen in ICO that it was a joy. Pages 55 and 58....who could fail to see these as perfect layouts?
  • The Introversion/Darwinia feature....just lovely. This and the 'ICO 2' layouts almost felt like an extension of the respective games.
  • The two page 'Reaching Out' splash, pages 77 and 78. Simple, fun, appealing. Readable.
  • The making of WipEout. As above, really.

The whole thing was great - presentationally - from start to finish. I was truly impressed, and I haven't always been Edge's biggest fan.

So, does the new layout compare to this?

The previews are different, but the ethos behind the rest of the things you mention remains much the same.

I know Edge is your mag and you can do with it what you want. But, surely the entire point of Edge, in fact its singular reason for existence, is that is has always been DIFFERENT to everything else on the market. Now, I have not seen the new issue ( WHEN IS IT OUT IN THE SHOPS ?? ), but it appears to be a crossbreed of Games TM/loaded/OPSM. In effect, it soon won't be Edge anymore.

I think it is important to make it EXTREMELY CLEAR to people who haven't had a chance to read the new issue yet, that what is under discussion here is the design only.

I don't think anyone anywhere has given even the slightest suggestion that the actual content of the magazine - you know, the words in it - has qualitatively changed, been dumbed down, ceased to be different to other games magazines, ceased to be Edge.

If anyone has suggested that, they're plain wrong.

So you can be at least halfway reassured that your cherished magazine still exists.

(edited for spelling. it's not my day)

I think it is important to make it EXTREMELY CLEAR to people who haven't had a chance to read the new issue yet, that what is under discussion hear is the design only.

I don't think anyone anywhere has given even the slightest suggestion that the actual content of the magazine - you know, the words in it - has qualitatively changed, been dumbed down, ceased to be different to other games magazines, ceased to be Edge.

If anyone has suggested that, they're plain wrong.

So you can be at least halfway reassured that your cherished magazine still exists.

Hooray!!!!!

I think it is important to make it EXTREMELY CLEAR to people who haven't had a chance to read the new issue yet, that what is under discussion here is the design only.

So we're not talking about the words? Just the scores and the pictures?

Business as usual then. :)

So we're not talking about the words? Just the scores and the pictures?

Business as usual then. :)

Well, I don't want to make light of it, I think the redesign is very important and does change the feel of the magazine, the emotional experience of reading it.

But I got the feeling that some people were getting a very distorted idea of the depth of the change. You'd have to change a lot more than its clothes to change Edge.

God, I sound like the moral of a high-school movie.

I have mixed feelings myself, but I'd also like to point out that whatever your feelings about the aesthetic tone of the redesign, it contains at least one massive practical improvement in layout: the half-page reviews, which now have close to twice the word count, and read much more easily too (they're arranged vertically, with much smaller screenshots).

It's testament to the state of humankind that people are getting so worked up about minor changes to a magazine. A MAGAZINE.

I think it's a testament to how great Edge is. The fact that it's 'just a magazine' yet people care so much about it.

Besides I don't think this thread has been too negative, just a few people so far have actually read it, so most of the posts on here are people just fearing the worst.

It'll be ok. TM doesn't seem like the sort of bloke who takes things personally.

Welcome to the forum.

I must say that I am pretty repulsed after reading through this topic.

It's testament to the state of humankind that people are getting so worked up about minor changes to a magazine. A MAGAZINE.

True, this magazine is the highlight of many gamers' months (mine included) and therefore changes - which are viewed with negativity by some - are likely to be unwelcome, but to nit-pick, laud over and attack every single word from the great Tony Mott, who's giving up his time to listen to this nonsense, is ridiculous.

Put yourself into Mott's shoes.

The redesign, undertaken for various perfectly acceptable reasons (probably the suggestions of a great many Edge readers in fact, through the questionnaire) is done now.

You've got a load of plebs ranting at you, with WAY too much time on their hands, delivering an overwhelming number of messages (I'm not saying TM's being overwhlemed, but let's face it, it can't be pleasant fielding all of these messages AND having a full time job writing the next magazine, which everyone is gonna hate by the sound of it...) not to mention all the threats of subscription cancellations...

This new format enables more asides in features, which the old, somewhat regimented format dissallowed, and more random musings, the staple of any magazine attempting to communicate effectively to the readers it caters for. I recall fairly recently where a couple of pages was dedicated to an article about amazon users and their game views affecting buyer's decisions. To be honest, it was a valid article with a relevant point to make, but as a random aside, it just stuck out in the old format and looked... unprofessional.

REAL Edge fans, those who have been following the magazine since the olden days, should realise that, actually, it looks incredibly similar to the original designs, spliced with the more recent style.

As a whole, I think the new format is successful, my only complaint being the new scoring system ("10 = ten", a bit of an arrogant bit of baiting there, for Edge obsessives methinks) that makes the result look insignificant, when, for my money, Edge's reviews are gospel, and have never been wrong. As well as the new colour/shape scheme that runs through the magazine.

Muuum!

God, you're so embarrassing.