November 04 Hip-hop Recommendations

Calashnikov

Speaking of Nike, some of you will no doubt be interested to hear that The RZA has produced various short tracks for a series of TV ads for Nike Basketball. The actual ads are a mixture of martial arts, anime and blaxploitation. You can check them out (courtesy of a natty wee Flash pagoda "Game of Death" style game thing) here. Once it loads up, check out every floor of the pagoda and eventually you'll get a wee snippet of each ad. The beats are classic RZA.

I saw at least one of those awesome ads while in the States. Didn't know the Rza was involved. It explains a lot.

Hello

Ive got a friend coming down to visit me Friday night and we would like to go out to a hip hop night of some sort. I live in London, so anywhere in London would be fine.

Does anyone have any ideas? i.e. a club that plays good hip hop music or a live act would be great.

Thanks!

Check out the Jazz Cafe website, i just saw Ugly Duclking, Rodney P and Aphletik down there on monday and it was an awesome night!

Peas

MeC

Hey everyone, massive thanks for the birthday shouts.

I've been listening to a mix of funky albums all day including Souls Of Mischief, Tribe Called Quest, Cypress Hill (Black Sunday is dope as ever) and pumping Dre's Chronic at every available opportunity. One of my mates got me that book of hip-hop cover art which was mentioned a few months ago, and although I've only flicked through it, it looks superb. Almost like a checklist of some of the albums I still need to buy as well.

Oh, and I got these bad motherfuckers too:

B00005QBU6.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Just been having fun listening to my collection of music on them. The sound quality is very impressive indeed.

Thanks again people.

One of my mates got me that book of hip-hop cover art which was mentioned a few months ago, and although I've only flicked through it, it looks superb. Almost like a checklist of some of the albums I still need to buy as well.

This the one? The Book of Hip-Hop Cover Art?

I never knew something like that existed. Definitely going to buy it when I get a chance. Post some impressions when you can David.

Want to hear that Inja album from the Cambridge crew too. Was hoping to make it to Rawganics tomorrow for Pete Rock & Evil Ed

Yo!

Been away workin' like a slave.

Diamond- pm me and I will hook you up with that Inja album, Im off to rawganics tonight.

So, what have I missed gents

'Sup. I'm listening to Alchemist's 1st Infantry which I got today. I can't say it's grabbed me too much so far. It has some nice Alc trademark melodramatic 80's action-flick beats (what a terrible description) but most of the MCs suck. The tracks with Dilated Peoples ('For The Record') and Mobb Deep ('It's a Craze') have stood out at this stage. There's one absolutely super cheesey beat of high drama ('Strength Of Pain') that is well nice, but ruined by some warbling singer. It's a shame to see one of the most interesting beats given over to a singer rather than a good MC.

B00009Y3PF.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Nice skit with DJ Muggs on there, talking about Kobe Bryant and the LA Lakers, though. It's then followed by another dramatic cop show style track with B-Real.

Ach, the album's alright. Maybe it'll grow on me...

EDIT - The track with Nas and Mobb Deep's Prodigy ('Tick Tock') is flipping great.

...and I think the Theodore Unit album is awesome. If you loved Ghostface's 'Pretty Toney Album' then you'd also enjoy this. Lots of nice references to some old classic material. Check out Ghost "doing" a little bit of Slick Rick's 'Mona Lisa' and listen out for him and Trife sharing verses on a track called '88 Freestyle.' It's based on the old b-boy funk anthem, 'The Mexican.'

Man, the beats are just straight up funk. Lots of strings, bass and brass. Such a nice, warm old sound. Similar, in fact, to much of Pretty Toney. Yeah, I'm glad I checked this one out. I was afraid it'd be sub-par. It's fucking great.

B0002IQJVO.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Yeah, man. Buy this.

Sorry to go back a few months but my brain is forgetting what we've been over and also i don't have time to check. So.......the Yungun album is it any good, has anyone got it. Love the 'Push' track on it but thats all I've heard.

Im skint at the mo but looking to get hold of it in the future.

Cheers peeps.

What's your opinion on this album?

My first real taste of JMT was Visions of Gandhi. At the moment I don't think the new one is as good as that, but it still bangs. I find Vinnie Paz a little tiresome in the long run so I enjoy VoG's many collabos. But that's not to say the new one isn't good – far from it. Overall, well worth the $13 (+ tax) I paid for it.

That J-Zone cover is brilliant. Yeah, if you find time I'd like to hear you expand on these recommendations, Isaacs.

OK, I'll move onto the J-Zone album now…

It's just typical Zone hip-hop really. Funny as ever, with nice beats. He even gets introspective on one track. Fewer guest stars than Sick of Being Rich and I consider that a good think in this case. He's one of the indie circuit's biggest stars and deserves your cash. Buy it (if you like J-Zone that is – if you hate him this one won't change your mind).

No such thing in these threads…

No, I know. I just try to keep my recommendations to current/new music in keeping with the title of the thread. If we were recommending music not released in November or thereabouts, we'd be here forever! Either way, that CD is well worth checking out.

The original sub-headings to these threads was "Not just new stuff." A lot of the time, because hip-hop is so self-referential, the new stuff will constantly bring your attention to some sort of old science that you may have missed. Much of the time, the best posts are thoughts on some old stuff. A sort of group appreciation for those who know the album, and a recommendation for those who don't.