IGNORED

Dubious Honour?

BubbleFish

I think that GTA is a series that other games designers probably have a hard time with. Miyamoto even slagged it off.

I absolutely adored the N64 Nintendo games, but Miyamoto's comments about GTA really annoyed me. GTA does precisely what Nintendo have been banging on about for the last couple of years. It's a simple pick up and play game which appeals to old and new players alike. Likewise, graphical polish takes a backseat to what you can actually do in the game.

I have to agree that the setting and characters are a little off putting. I still have to really concentrate in order to comprehend just what everyone is saying. The soundtrack is also infinitely inferior to Vice City, Radio X, K-DST and WCTR being the only stations I listen to.

For all that though there's a lot of fun to be had from the game. I've found many of the missions a lot more interesting than those in previous games in the series, and the sheer scale of the gameworld is something to behold.

I'm not too sure about some of the new features though to be honest. As someone else pointed out the new stat system only really serves to hinder the player early on, and then become forgotten once you get them up to high levels. Considdering the size of the game I don't see wasting my time stat building as fun. One mission requires you to have a certain proficiency at holding your breath underwater, so if you aren't good enough already you need to keep building up the relevant stat like some old fashioned level grind. The changes to your appearance are a nice touch, but Fable does this infinitely better in my oppinion.

Anyway, as I said I'm still enjoying the game in spite of its setting and dubious new features. I'm not enjoying it as much as I thought I would however. Still, Halo 2's only a week away :(

I absolutely adored the N64 Nintendo games, but Miyamoto's comments about GTA really annoyed me. GTA does precisely what Nintendo have been banging on about for the last couple of years. It's a simple pick up and play game which appeals to old and new players alike. Likewise, graphical polish takes a backseat to what you can actually do in the game.

EH? He had nothing but compliments for the game.

It's also becoming clear that as the game opens up the style boardens deeply simply because the different citiies and areas are soo diverse. I certainly haven't heard anyone call me Homie in Angel Pine yet.

Exactly - once the story takes you out of the 'hood, it starts to distance itself from the initial themes. This is to show that CJ's moving on and away from his roots.

I really don't get this thematic fussiness - like others have said, I'm not too keen on your typical sci-fi settings (I especially dislike the orcs 'n' elves fantasy stuff) and I hated the eighties styling of Vice City, but it was still a damn good game. It's like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

The game is fun. Doing stuff in the gameworld is fun. These things have nothing to do with the styling.

I have to agree that the setting and characters are a little off putting. I still have to really concentrate in order to comprehend just what everyone is saying.

Doesn't this say a lot for the quality and accuracy of the voice-acting though?

Or have we all decided we want our House of The Dead dubbing back?

Doesn't this say a lot for the quality and accuracy of the voice-acting though?

Or have we all decided we want our House of The Dead dubbing back?

Don't get me wrong the voice acting is excellent from what I've heard so far. It's just that I'm not used to the style of speech. I am improving though!

I wonder... were there that many people who dislike Vice City's 80s stylings?

I didn't like that style either. I remember the 80's from the first time around and it wasn't a great decade in my opinion. I've played all three of this generations GTA games, and GTA3 is still my favourite.

That said GTA:SA is a good game, but I do feel myself having to force myself to play through it at times as my dislike for the games "gansta" style really makes me want to switch it off.

As for most important game (I see Biglime has his hard-on for a certian Embra developer again :( ), probably in terms of sales but I've played a few games already this year that I'd rate as much better than GTA:SA. I'd imagine this will be many peoples game of the year, but it's far from that in my opinion.

Tell you what.

All these San Andreas topics are making that Halo 2 folder look a bit daft.

yes, 6 topics on San Andreas on the first page of discussion. Some of them repeats.

compared to 9 active topics today in Halo 2 and the other 200 posts.

just because you don't like Halo 2 doesn't mean you can make stuff up, same goes for Nintendo, putting words in Miyamoto;s mouth.

yes, 6 topics on San Andreas on the first page of discussion. Some of them repeats.

compared to 9 active topics today in Halo 2 and the other 200 posts.

just because you don't like Halo 2 doesn't mean you can make stuff up, same goes for Nintendo, putting words in Miyamoto;s mouth.

I love Halo, and haven't played Halo 2 (because, believe it or not, it's not out yet.)

Of course, Nintendo ARE doomed.

;)

No it isn't. It's being faced with a bewildering array of choices, and choosing the games which appeal to you.

All I'm saying is - don't buy something just because everyone else is, or because it's "important". Buy it because you want to play it.

Let's be honest, Davros - it's not as if there's a wealth of quality out there at the moment. Sure, this game is part of the holy trinity along with Halo 2 and HL2, but, apart from these titles, there's not exactly a bewildering array of great games to choose from at the minute.

I appreciate where you're coming from, but I'm personally not saying, "Buy this game because it's 'important'" or, "Buy this game because everyone else is playing it". I'm saying, "Buy this game because it's fun."

I really can't think of any plainer terms than that.

Er what?

This is what Miyamoto said:

I think it has a lot of fun factors, but at the same time I am aware of the social and moral factors. In Japan, there is a mood that none of us would like to sell it. It would be a success for sure if we did, but the industry wouldn't like to sell it.

Nintendo agrees that it's an excellent game but we doubt if it's really suitable for children to play. We have to consider the influence that games have on our society. That is more important than making it a success and making lots of money. So as much as we personally appreciate the fun of GTA, I would feel uneasy making a success with it.

That doesnt read like a slagging off to me.

He was wrong though - it didnt sell very well at all when Capcom released it in Japan did it ?

I'm not that keen on SA to be honest - much happier with Vice City on my Xbox. And making loads of the early missions reliant on using guns when the combat is shit is really a mistake

I wouldn't call Goldeneye an inclusive game at all. Sure it sold a lot, but only to people (men) who like FPSs, or Bond. My gf thought it was shite, and whenever I made her try it she ended up looking up at the ceiling while I shot her in the knee caps.

Actually, that was quite fun.

But it wasn't exactly inclusive. Eye Toy, Wario Ware, now those are inclusive games.

I really don't get this thematic fussiness - like others have said, I'm not too keen on your typical sci-fi settings (I especially dislike the orcs 'n' elves fantasy stuff) and I hated the eighties styling of Vice City, but it was still a damn good game. It's like cutting your nose off to spite your face.

The game is fun. Doing stuff in the gameworld is fun. These things have nothing to do with the styling.

FB-High-Five.jpg