IGNORED

Dubious Honour?

BubbleFish

But it's not. ;)

REally ? Currently only missions open to me are the one where I have to hold up a train (and shoot all the people trying to nick the stuff before me) and the one where I have to go and rescue my mate and his girlfriend.

Both require guns/shooting - which my skills at this point aren't up to. Plus I dont have a stash of guns so I have to try to kill someone with the car to get a gun, which promptly disappears before I get out of the car to pick it up !

I am struggling to find figures but I was under the impression it did pretty well on its Japanese release - it definately entered the top 5.

Going from the data from the official sales figures, the game apparently sold 303,000 copies in the whole of Japan and was the 28th best-selling game in 2003.

(Incidentally, it was the only Western game in the list of the top 50 best-selling games.)

Edit: So Lazychu was right.

REally ?  Currently only missions open to me are the one where I have to hold up a train (and shoot all the people trying to nick the stuff before me) and the one where I have to go and rescue my mate and his girlfriend.

Both require guns/shooting - which my skills at this point aren't up to.  Plus I dont have a stash of guns so I have to try to kill someone with the car to get a gun, which promptly disappears before I get out of the car to pick it up !

The quickest way to get a gun near the start is to go back behined your garage and head for the stormdrain. Underneath the nearest bridge is a mini SMG. Or you can head to Unity Station in El Corona and there's an SMG in the alcove there.

As for actually shooting people, trying keep your distance if you can and crouch (preferbly behind something). Then just hold down R1, fire off a few rounds till dead, release R1, rinse and repeat.

It's a touch fiddly at first but you should get the hang of it. Just don't go back to playing III & VC once you do.

Let's be honest, Davros - it's not as if there's a wealth of quality out there at the moment. Sure, this game is part of the holy trinity along with Halo 2 and HL2, but, apart from these titles, there's not exactly a bewildering array of great games to choose from at the minute.

I appreciate where you're coming from, but I'm personally not saying, "Buy this game because it's 'important'" or, "Buy this game because everyone else is playing it". I'm saying, "Buy this game because it's fun."

I really can't think of any plainer terms than that.

Fair enough, but what you find fun isn't necessarily what I find fun. I just don't fancy pulling off drive-by shootings to the music of Ice-T. I'm not into cars or bikes, so I don't fancy pulling off big jumps etc. It also sounds too big to me. I like bite-sized games at the moment.

As for quality games on the shelves, off the top of my head I can think of Prince of Persia, Forbidden Siren, Fatal Frame 2 & Harvest Moon as games I'd rather play than this, but I just haven't had the time. Not everyone buys a new game the minute it hits the shelves.

The whole point of this thread was the disbelief of the GAME staff that someone could return such a popular game. It reminds me of the disbelief I get in the office when I say that I don't watch Eastenders. I don't really see what's so hard to understand about my view on this.

A lot of people feel the same...

Kinda....inclusive.

It may well have involved a lot of people who wouldn't usually play an FPS, by virtue of it's sheer quality, but I wouldn't say it was a particularly inclusive game by nature. Lots of controls to learn, violent gunplay as a subject matter - these things still put off non-gamers.

Going from the data from the official sales figures, the game apparently sold 303,000 copies in the whole of Japan and was the 28th best-selling game in 2003.

(Incidentally, it was the only Western game in the list of the top 50 best-selling games.)

Edit: So Lazychu was right.

OK - I admit it. I was wrong <embarressed smiley>

why havn't you returned SA yet then?

or do you just prefer moaning about it fannybaws?

Because 1) I stupidly didn't buy it at GAME and 2) I really, really want to like it, because I've really enjoyed the other games in the series.

But then, you knew this already.

Fair enough, but what you find fun isn't necessarily what I find fun. I just don't fancy pulling off drive-by shootings to the music of Ice-T. I'm not into cars or bikes, so I don't fancy pulling off big jumps etc. It also sounds too big to me. I like bite-sized games at the moment.

As for quality games on the shelves, off the top of my head I can think of Prince of Persia, Forbidden Siren, Fatal Frame 2 & Harvest Moon as games I'd rather play than this, but I just haven't had the time. Not everyone buys a new game the minute it hits the shelves.

I appreciate that personal preference assumes a large role in this, but I just think, with a game like this, there's not many people who wouldn't derive some amount of fun or enjoyment from it. It's the sort of game that everyone (okay, maybe most people) can get on with to some degree. It's not just the shooting and driving (although they play a large part) - there's something here which probably appeals to every gamer on some level.

My whole point in this thread is to just try and coax people who are put off by the theme to give it a try before declaring whether they like it or not. Like I said, there's a whole bunch of games that have a theme which I dislike (Halo and Zelda being notable titles), but when I play the game, none of that stuff matters to me, due to the fun factor.

Anyway, we'll have to agree to disagree regarding the quality climate at present (the titles you mentioned not really doing anything for me, especially PoP). It's been a great year for games - in my view, probably the best this decade.

The whole point of this thread was the disbelief of the GAME staff that someone could return such a popular game. It reminds me of the disbelief I get in the office when I say that I don't watch Eastenders. I don't really see what's so hard to understand about my view on this.

I agree with you here completely though, Davros - if someone has bought the game, tried it and subsequently returned it, that's fine; there's bound to be a minority who are going to do this. And Eastenders really is lame, especially at the moment, but that's another discussion altogether! ;)

In fact, I'm game, what else is there besides a Gangsta culture theme, driving vehicles, and shooting people in the game that I might enjoy?

There's all the mini-games you can play - gambling, pimping, taxi-ing, ambulancing, playing pool. Flying's great as well.

There's a sense of freedom, progression and exploration which the game overflows with. Seriously man (and I've finished it now), the gangsta theme is a strong one in the early stages, but it really does dilute the further you go; you begin dealing with all walks of life, away from the 'hood, all races.

How far in are you?

There's always going to be a lot of bitter people whining when a concept is refined to this extent, and when Rockstar proves that facilitation and not necessarily innovation can best almost every other game on the shelf.

I dunno, 10-15hrs? Countryside opened up and stuff.

Are you seriously going to debate that by Rockstar going down the path of a linear mission-driven storyline it is somehow more important than anything else for *years*? Because it's the wrong way to go. If they'd made it freeform and more of a sandbox, then it would be groundbreaking. I'm still hungry for more interaction, not more Hollywood voice acting, nice though that is. It's not really touching much new ground at all. It innovates in areas, but it's hardly original compared with its predecessors.

Let's say that the next 3D Mario game will be better than Super Mario 64 (regardless of opinion, the original was groundbreaking to the extreme, and easily one of the most important videogames ever). Even if it's better, and more refined, and they add in new stuff, it still won't be as important from the radical change from 2D -> 3D, will it? It won't create a new benchmark for which all games of the ilk are judged against, will it? It might move the goalposts a bit further, but the memories of when you first picked up the original will always be more fresh and invigorating.

And that's what GTA3 was. It was totally fresh, totally new, groundbreaking. A living city to immerse yourself in. Since then we've had Vice City and SA - both arguably improvements, but neither will have the same effect on the industry, nor will they be as important, unless you're going in terms of sales figures, which would be completely mad, of course.

BTW, I'm not bitter or whining. I don't feel Rockstar owe me anything, and I've still enjoyed the game. I just feel they're taking the franchise in the wrong direction to pander to the morass of people who buy it for "OMG YOU CAN SHOOT PEOPLE AND THINGS."

They're not pandering to those people at all.

The scope and range of San Andreas is a different world from GTAIII or Vice City. There's no other game like this one. Really.

They're offering a massive leap forward in gaming, partly within the game itself, and partly within the design ethos that Rockstar seem destined to chase right to its peak.

That leap forward summed up?

"Can I do this?"

"Never mind, I just did!"

I've just been playing for a couple of hours and I remembered that I actually love this game ;)

Click For Spoiler
I just completed the Reuniting the Families mission. A perfect example of Rockstar seamlessly combining third person shooting action, driving and on rails shooting. B)

Amazing game.

I didn't say I wanted it to be realistic, but there is a limit to how insane stunts should be. An example of it working would be me chasing the guy on the mountainside with that mission and the FBI. I took a major detour and went cross-country, flying down the hillside. That wasn't realistic - it was fun. But it also wasn't ridiculous. Doing things like I described just really annoy me more than anything when you've got missions like "don't detach the trailer or you lose!"

I didn't say I wanted it to be realistic, but there is a limit to how insane stunts should be. An example of it working would be me chasing the guy on the mountainside with that mission and the FBI. I took a major detour and went cross-country, flying down the hillside. That wasn't realistic - it was fun. But it also wasn't ridiculous. Doing things like I described just really annoy me more than anything when you've got missions like "don't detach the trailer or you lose!"

Personally, I'd rather be able to do ridiculous stunts and not have to reload my game.

yes, 6 topics on San Andreas on the first page of discussion. Some of them repeats.

compared to 9 active topics today in Halo 2 and the other 200 posts.

just because you don't like Halo 2 doesn't mean you can make stuff up, same goes for Nintendo, putting words in Miyamoto;s mouth.

shut it fanboy

"Can I do this?"

"Never mind, I just did!"

This is the joy of the series. If you can imagine doing something, it is almost certain you can do it. The game really rewards those who use their imaginations. There are so many ways in which you can acheive a certain goal. It puts most tactical planning games to shame, plus it's just great fun. It's a bit like Mario 64 in some respects - visualise it and do it or it's impossible. There aren't invisible walls, just consistent rules.

The GAME guys probably just thought you pirated it or something.