IGNORED

The Beer Thread

Professor Rob

4 hours ago, minstrels said:

Yeah, they're a bunch of cunts but I just can't ignore the value of Punk IPA. It's probably not the beer it once was but I still enjoy it and nothing else comes close to the price.

In an ideal world all the beer I drink would be from smaller breweries like Elusive, Neptune, Lost and Grounded etc etc but I simply can't afford to do that.

Plus I like to occasionally have the fridge full of beers that I can just grab a can, crack it open and drink from the can without worrying about pouring it into a glass and properly evaluating it. I find it really hard to do that when I've paid £4-5 for a can of something really nice.

I do have some very strange opinions on beer, to be honest. :lol:

Nothing strange about that. For me the range in Morrisons and Tesco's these days are absolutely perfect for fridge fillers.

As much as I love going to the local bottle shop I can't afford to keep buying 5-7 tins of beer for just weekend drinking.

I know nothing about modern craft beer so I've just taken delivery of a cheap variety pack from Flavourly. So I'm going to have some noob questions like: should I keep the cans in the fridge? My regular supermarket beer (Hobgoblin Ruby) I just keep in a kitchen cupboard, as I prefer it at room temperature to fridge cold. Is that fine for craft beer cans too? Some of them say keep cool, but most of the cans don't give any hints at all. Help me, beer experts! Bear in mind I want to keep it simple, I'm not buying a dedicated beer fridge or anything like that (which google seems to think is the right answer).

On 07/08/2021 at 17:14, minstrels said:

Not necessarily. Life & Death is arguably the better beer now, but it's £1.80 a can versus £1 for Punk. When I want a beer like Punk that 80p a can makes a big difference.

I've seen the 4 pack of L&D available at Tesco with a Clubcard for £4.50 on more than one occasion. Worth keeping an eye out for.

1 hour ago, Darren said:

I know nothing about modern craft beer so I've just taken delivery of a cheap variety pack from Flavourly. So I'm going to have some noob questions like: should I keep the cans in the fridge? My regular supermarket beer (Hobgoblin Ruby) I just keep in a kitchen cupboard, as I prefer it at room temperature to fridge cold. Is that fine for craft beer cans too? Some of them say keep cool, but most of the cans don't give any hints at all. Help me, beer experts! Bear in mind I want to keep it simple, I'm not buying a dedicated beer fridge or anything like that (which google seems to think is the right answer).

It's worth keeping them in the fridge to preserve them. Depending on the style, you might want to get one out an hour before drinking or something, though gently chilled is fine with pretty much all styles for my tastes.

(I'm unclear on what problem a dedicated beer fridge solves, besides lack of space in your regular fridge.)

2 hours ago, Darren said:

Presumably they will all be pale ales so will be best kept in the fridge and drank cold. Pour them into a glass though, don't drink straight from the can.

Stouts I like to keep in the fridge, but then to leave them to warm up a bit before drinking, particularly the stronger ones.

1 hour ago, hmm said:

It's worth keeping them in the fridge to preserve them. Depending on the style, you might want to get one out an hour before drinking or something, though gently chilled is fine with pretty much all styles for my tastes.

(I'm unclear on what problem a dedicated beer fridge solves, besides lack of space in your regular fridge.)

Thanks - I'll fridge 'em up after work then.

According to all the articles I could be bothered to look at before giving up in despair, a household fridge is too cold. But that's easily fixed as you say by simply taking the beer out a little while before you drink it.

4 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Presumably they will all be pale ales so will be best kept in the fridge and drank cold. Pour them into a glass though, don't drink straight from the can.

Stouts I like to keep in the fridge, but then to leave them to warm up a bit before drinking, particularly the stronger ones.

They are mainly pales but there are a few others, a ruby, a bitter and a lager IIRC.

I never drink from the can unless I'm at a picnic! Which leads to the next issue, we've got loads of pint glasses but I don't think we've got any that are the right size for a small can. First world problems!

37 minutes ago, Darren said:

Thanks - I'll fridge 'em up after work then.

According to all the articles I could be bothered to look at before giving up in despair, a household fridge is too cold. But that's easily fixed as you say by simply taking the beer out a little while before you drink it.

They are mainly pales but there are a few others, a ruby, a bitter and a lager IIRC.

I never drink from the can unless I'm at a picnic! Which leads to the next issue, we've got loads of pint glasses but I don't think we've got any that are the right size for a small can. First world problems!

Then why not buy yourself a nice glass!

I'm partial to the little tumblers like this

wild-beer-co-wild-ipa-glass-1627055674wi

But the other popular styles are the craft master

wild-beer-co-craft-master-glass-16208143

And the Teku

wild-beer-co-teku-glass-1620813834wild-b

What I tend to use most is one of these though, because I'm often sharing with someone and it's a 150ml marker that makes sharing a 330 easy.

xvG67FolEmWnM0jK1SMKMisUSxwlsEP_owyTGca0

4 hours ago, Darren said:

Probably already answered but apply the same rules as you normally would for a particular style so colder for lager, pale ales etc and warmer for a bitter or mild.  Craft/ not-craft doesn't really alter this.  I tend to have a dozen or so beers in the fridge at anyone time and take them out ahead of drinking if needed.  I only really keep very traditional english beers in the cupboard.

Craft beers will often have some sediment in the cans so be careful when drinking direct from a can and when pouring.

As for glassware I like to have a glass that is a bit bigger than the can so that there is suitable space for styles that have a sizable head.

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

I'm partial to the little tumblers like this

wild-beer-co-wild-ipa-glass-1627055674wi

But the other popular styles are the craft master

wild-beer-co-craft-master-glass-16208143

And the Teku

wild-beer-co-teku-glass-1620813834wild-b

What I tend to use most is one of these though, because I'm often sharing with someone and it's a 150ml marker that makes sharing a 330 easy.

xvG67FolEmWnM0jK1SMKMisUSxwlsEP_owyTGca0

Well this is the thing, I've spent less than £30 on a box of 20 cans, I haven't even tried any yet (for all I know I might not be that impressed and go back to Hobgoblin) but now I'm going down the dedicated beer glass rabbit hole...

Perhaps I should list what was in the box so you can tell me what a bargain it was/point and laugh at my gullibility (as applicable).

Table Red (Gun) Amber & Red Ale

Summer Lager (Freedom) Lager

Twisted Hop (Hilden x Flavourly) Pale Ale

Nano Cask Fuggles (Moor) Pale Ale

Levitate (By the Horns x Flavourly) Pale Ale

Patchwork Rocket (Firebrand) Pale Ale

Clown Face (By the Horns) IPA

Euro Pale (Glasgow Beer Works)  Pale Ale

IPL (Freedom) Lager/Ale Hybrid

Greetings from California (Hilden x Flavourly) Pale Ale

Anyway, going by the descriptions I suppose they all need to go in the fridge with the possible exception of the Table Red.

I quite like the Flavourly boxes, they are a very cost-effective way of stocking up. You'll never get anything particularly challenging (or strong!) in their mixed boxes but I've never had anything particularly terrible from them either. Better than the range in my local Sainsbury's, anyway.

Personally I'd keep 'em all in the fridge, but drink them however you like.

32 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I quite like the Flavourly boxes, they are a very cost-effective way of stocking up. You'll never get anything particularly challenging (or strong!) in their mixed boxes but I've never had anything particularly terrible from them either. Better than the range in my local Sainsbury's, anyway.

I'd agree with that and as a cheap intro they are a good place to start.  In the past they had a more varied selection though and they seem to do a lot of simple collaborations these days, I assume as it keeps costs down.  The last couple of years I've mostly bought direct from breweries and my local bottle shop, both more expensive though

35 minutes ago, Darren said:

Well this is the thing, I've spent less than £30 on a box of 20 cans, I haven't even tried any yet (for all I know I might not be that impressed and go back to Hobgoblin) but now I'm going down the dedicated beer glass rabbit hole...

Yeah, no need for fancy glasses, I'd totally ignore that for now.  If you buy more boxes you may well get a tasting glass or 2 thrown in anyway.

For future reference I do have and use this spiegelau set a lot: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Spiegelau-Craft-Tasting-Different-Glasses/dp/B06WRS4FZ2/ they are pretty thin and delicate though and have smashed a few over the years

• 2 weeks later...

Had can of this last night.

Banana and pear imperial sour, somoeone on the UK Craft Beer group described it as tasting like the banana antibiotics you had as a kid, so I gave it a go.

Was very, very good (for me) but I would imagine one not for everyone as it really was a unique flavour (definite undertone of those foamy banana sweets)

Banana-Pear-3D-Can-Design-Paint-Splash-6

On 10/08/2021 at 13:56, Darren said:

On 10/08/2021 at 14:40, Gaz said:

Absolutely...both Siren and Wylam are often doing little bundles where you get an Allegra (I think that's their name?) glass along side some beers.

For example a Siren bundle - I've had all those beers and they're delicious. The glass is basically free.

https://www.sirencraftbrew.com/item/615/SirenCraftBrew/BBQ-Beer-Bundle.html

Wylam's shop seems to be down so I can't link to any. It's just those two as those two breweries tend to be our go-tos for beer.  But I think basically every brewery is selling them now. We're just amassing a bit of a collection because we can't help ourselves when doing a big order.

We have a set of these:

https://beavertownbrewery.co.uk/products/set-set-of-5-beavertown-tumbler-glasses

Which I love and hate. I hate Beavertown as a brand now (sell outs) but the glasses are just such a nice shape and size. They're kinda like normal pint glasses if you literally just sliced them at the halfway point - rather than most half pints that are narrower. They're nice to drink out of I hate promoting Beavertown over other breweries. I mean, in the privacy of my own home, it's fine. 

5 minutes ago, cowfields said:

Absolutely...both Siren and Wylam are often doing little bundles where you get an Allegra (I think that's their name?) glass along side some beers.

For example a Siren bundle - I've had all those beers and they're delicious. The glass is basically free.

https://www.sirencraftbrew.com/item/615/SirenCraftBrew/BBQ-Beer-Bundle.html

Wylam's shop seems to be down so I can't link to any. It's just those two as those two breweries tend to be our go-tos for beer.  But I think basically every brewery is selling them now. We're just amassing a bit of a collection because we can't help ourselves when doing a big order.

We have a set of these:

https://beavertownbrewery.co.uk/products/set-set-of-5-beavertown-tumbler-glasses

Which I love and hate. I hate Beavertown as a brand now (sell outs) but the glasses are just such a nice shape and size. They're kinda like normal pint glasses if you literally just sliced them at the halfway point - rather than most half pints that are narrower. They're nice to drink out of I hate promoting Beavertown over other breweries. I mean, in the privacy of my own home, it's fine. 

I ended up enjoying my first box from Flavourly and getting through it so fast* that I ordered another one-off box from them to tide me over until the next subscription comes, so I made sure I got one that included a couple of nice glasses. Problem solved!

*In my defence I had the last two weeks of August off work but didn't go anywhere because... y'know *points to everything* so I've been drinking a lot more at home than usual lately. In theory that won't be a problem now I'm back at work and being a bit more sensible. In theory.

• 1 month later...

Yet another #metoo shitshow in the craft beer world, disappointingly. 

This time it's several ex-employees at the global beer company Mikkeller who have alleged sexual harassment and gender bullying.

Mikkeller have not handled it well. After their CEO went on air denying the allegations a bunch of breweries (including DEYA, Kernal, Verdant, Boundary, Track and others) have pulled out of their upcoming beer festival in Copenhagen:

https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/sightlines/2021/11/under-pressure-breweries-withdraw-from-mikkeller-beer-festival-in-response-to-sexual-harassment-allegations

Following pressure from these breweries, Mikkeller have issued an updated statement on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CU5EyGONUZ9

Read the comments for more victims statements and experiences, it's really grim:

I worked for y’all in 2017-2018. I experienced I myriad of issues—bullying, harassment, sexual harassment, sexism, homophobia. And seriously unsafe working conditions. These major concerns were brought up with management repeatedly. Nothing was ever done except Matt Hanlon yelling at the staff once for five minutes. And the abuse continued. No one ever reached out and supported me with my experiences. Not now, not then. My time at Mikkeller SD destroyed my mental health in 11 months. Your claims in the statement above are inaccurate. Not once have I heard from y’all. There is a literal Good Beer Hunting article that came out in July with my name in it. Please name a single person you reached out to from that article. I’ll wait.

Fuck Mikkeller it seems.

3 hours ago, Isaac said:

Yet another #metoo shitshow in the craft beer world, disappointingly. 

This time it's several ex-employees at the global beer company Mikkeller who have alleged sexual harassment and gender bullying.

Mikkeller have not handled it well. After their CEO went on air denying the allegations a bunch of breweries (including DEYA, Kernal, Verdant, Boundary, Track and others) have pulled out of their upcoming beer festival in Copenhagen:

https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/sightlines/2021/11/under-pressure-breweries-withdraw-from-mikkeller-beer-festival-in-response-to-sexual-harassment-allegations

Following pressure from these breweries, Mikkeller have issued an updated statement on Instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CU5EyGONUZ9

Read the comments for more victims statements and experiences, it's really grim:

Fuck Mikkeller it seems.

Yeah I followed this after someone from Abbeydale shared something from one of the victims. 

Did you see the original collective statement from the various UK brewers though? Where they still planned to attend and then realised how bad it looked and had to back down and finally pull out a couple of days later.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CU-FmrKqzsG/?utm_medium=copy_link

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVA23TlNIpk/?utm_medium=copy_link

Really disappointing from some of the big UK craft names. Think Kernel were the only ones who had already pulled out and didn’t put their name to it I think. 

Seems like there’s also information out there about similar issues at Wylam and Northern Monk which don’t seem to be being addressed either. 

7 hours ago, Isaac said:

On a lighter note, anybody else ordered their craft beer advent calendars yet?

I'm trying to decide between the Hop Burns and Black Advent Calendar and the Craft Metropolis one, both seem great.

Here's what was included in the HB&B one last year:

https://www.hopburnsblack.co.uk/blogs/news/our-2020-hb-b-big-beery-advent-calendar-revealed

I have so many beers at the moment (over 100 bottles and cans I think) that I could probably just make my own! :lol:

The advent calendars always seem overpriced to me and I know there will be stuff in there that I really don't like e.g. pastry stouts, fruit sours, milkshakes etc so I'd rather just order a few mixed cases from different breweries direct and get say 36 for the same money as 24 in the calendars.  As you can see I've already done a bit too much of that!!  At the moment I have the following cases in various stages of being drunk:

• DEYA
  • Double Barrelled
  • The Kernel 
  • Verdant
  • Mixed Belgium Quadruples & Winter Ales
  • Octoberfest inspired German beers
  • Plus a few stragglers from older Boxcar, BBNo and Elusive cases

Hmm, that list is even longer now that I've actually written it down! 🍻 😂

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/10/2021 at 20:14, BedroomBusinessman said:

Good price and money going to a good cause at Full Circle Brew Co - 50% off select 24can cases with £5 going towards Womens Street Watch Newcastle.

https://shop.fullcirclebrew.co.uk/collections/beer-cases/products/50-off-packs

Thanks.

Also placed an order for 24 cans of Disco Stars and got an additional 10% off for being my first order with them and putting my email address on the mailing list. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/02/2021 at 19:50, minstrels said:

image.thumb.png.c027e3168919776104cdb205937aa2b4.png

This just isn't getting old. :D

Do you still use this regularly?

My dad normally gets one of those mini 5L kegs in every Christmas so I was thinking of upgrading this Christmas and buying him one of these.

One problem is we normally get two kegs - a lager for @Mike and some “proper beer” for me and my dad. Not sure if there’s a happy middle ground perfect draft keg, considering they’re a) bigger and b) more expensive, plus wouldn’t fancy switching between two.

3 hours ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

Do you still use this regularly?

My dad normally gets one of those mini 5L kegs in every Christmas so I was thinking of upgrading this Christmas and buying him one of these.

One problem is we normally get two kegs - a lager for @Mike and some “proper beer” for me and my dad. Not sure if there’s a happy middle ground perfect draft keg, considering they’re a) bigger and b) more expensive, plus wouldn’t fancy switching between two.

Yep, still use it very regularly. I think I've had about 10 kegs through it since getting it in February.

It's definitely a great step up over 5L minikegs. It does it's own chilling, you pour the beer more like a pub would, and it lasts 30 days rather than the 4-5 days you'd get out of a minikeg.

The range of beers available is really good, the best of all home draught systems, and reasonably priced too. If you order in multiples of 3 kegs you can get 15% off and free delivery which brings it down to around £2.50 a pint once you take the keg deposit into account. 

I'd definitely recommend one if you like the look of the range of beers and don't mind spending £250.

I was really enjoying the Roaster Coaster stout from brew dog and evil twin but it looks like my Tesco has stopped selling it. Can anyone recommend something similar? 

I guess I’m after a coffee milk stout but this was strong at 9%.