IGNORED

The Beer Thread

Professor Rob

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/11/2021 at 23:44, Isaac said:

This is a pretty decent box from Vocation:

https://www.vocationbrewery.com/collections/black-friday-deals/products/black-friday-value-box-24pk-440ml

£1.60 a 440ml can for pretty decent pale ales can't be argued with.

Thanks. They have offers on individual cans too and free shipping over £35 so I just put together a selection from there instead - bit more interesting than 24 pale ales I'd say!

On 24/11/2021 at 21:06, hmm said:

Thanks. They have offers on individual cans too and free shipping over £35 so I just put together a selection from there instead - bit more interesting than 24 pale ales I'd say!

Good old Gurdeep, DPD's finest, brought me some delicious treats today. Looking forward to some of these. Absolute bargain too.

20211127_125700.thumb.jpg.5bc405d4fe785965bc616c48aaf2227c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Fierce up in Aberdeen are crowdfunding again to build a bigger brewery and tap room.

The first did this to raise funds to help get a bar open in Aberdeen and I stuck in £50 way back, it's a great bar and always worth a visit.

Funding opened yesterday for previous investors and when I checked last night at about 6 in the evening it was at 82k from a 100k target.

It opened today for anyone and is now just under 109k.

For every £1 you put in you get £1.50 credit back so I stuck £100 in yesterday as a Xmas present to myself. Credit can be used online or with any of the bars in Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Manchester.

It's great to see them doing so well, started from a small warehouse in an industrial estate up here and looking to have a good future. 

Link here if anyone fancy a helping...

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/fierce-beer-new-brewery

I couldn't help in the second round due to covid fucking with my finances but in a better place now so happy to go in.

Smashed that initial target in no time and doubt they will struggle to hit the stretch goal.

Exciting to see it all when up and running, shame the Dyce industrial estate can be a pain in the ass to get to.

I know. To make matters worse I just literally moved away from Dyce! Not that it would have been that much an advantage as it's still a very long walk from the main road and not really staggerable for the way home. 

I just got an email this week to say that the Faith No More concert in Glasgow has been cancelled so I'm due money back for 3 tickets (that I hasn't asked my pals to pay up for yet) so that money will cover my beer tokens and more. 

I have a nice wee stash of Fierce beers at the moment and with this credit I am assured replenishment in the next few months while my partner is on maternity pay! 

#12BeersOfXmas starts tomorrow. :D

Twelve beers, starting on the 20th December running to New Year's Eve. Started by the good chaps at the Beer O'Clock Show.

There's no set criteria, just pick twelve beers and get involved on Twitter using the hashtag. It's genuinely one of the highlights of my Christmas period.

PXL_20211219_174214427.thumb.jpg.317ad5522959b03128a9940a795d4096.jpg

PXL_20211219_174221701.jpg

A little bit of trimming still needs to be done for mine...

I had those de ranke and st bernardus beers last Christmas 😃

Has anyone ordered from brew by numbers recently?  I had some issues with shipping earlier in the year which I had to contact them about but I made a Christmas order earlier in December and they seem to have gotten even worse.  It took ages to get a dispatch notice , the DHL tracking link does not work properly and was far enough ago that I'm 99% sure that they have not dispatched anything at all.  They are totally ignoring my messages too.

They have a covid message on their site plus what to expect shipping wise but they are miles outside that and miles outside what I have experienced from any of the other breweries I've ordered from since March 2020.  Can't see me ordering from them again at this rate.

20 hours ago, StumpyJohn said:

I had those de ranke and st bernardus beers last Christmas 😃

Has anyone ordered from brew by numbers recently?  I had some issues with shipping earlier in the year which I had to contact them about but I made a Christmas order earlier in December and they seem to have gotten even worse.  It took ages to get a dispatch notice , the DHL tracking link does not work properly and was far enough ago that I'm 99% sure that they have not dispatched anything at all.  They are totally ignoring my messages too.

They have a covid message on their site plus what to expect shipping wise but they are miles outside that and miles outside what I have experienced from any of the other breweries I've ordered from since March 2020.  Can't see me ordering from them again at this rate.

That's so disappointing to hear, haven't ordered recently but have used them several time before with no issues. Really enjoy the beer but there wasn't any boxes I fancied so gave them a miss for Xmas.

Have you tried them on Facebook and Twitter?

1 hour ago, memories said:

That's so disappointing to hear, haven't ordered recently but have used them several time before with no issues. Really enjoy the beer but there wasn't any boxes I fancied so gave them a miss for Xmas.

Have you tried them on Facebook and Twitter?

I hope it is sorted now as I finally got a reply yesterday afternoon and I have a proper tracking link.

I don't use social media 

• 2 weeks later...

So, who else is doing Dry / Try January?

I'm doing it again this year, whilst I'm basically cutting all beer consumption mid week, Friday rolls around and I want to make sure I have a few low/no options in the fridge.

I have to admit the quality of AF beer is even better this year than it was last.

Think this is my pick of the major supermarket AF's I've tried:

image.png.1610e434cbc344c5ecf6662f09666c17.png

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/big-drop-brewing-co-paradiso-citra-ipa-alcohol-free/534682-728216-728217

It tastes really, really good. Could easily quaff a few. The fact it's low calorie too is pretty amazing!

Anybody got any recommendations for particularly good low/no alcohol beers? 

I've yet to find a really convincing hazy New England IPA that's low/no alcohol, would love to hear if anyone else has.

Brooklyn Special Effects is probably my favourite alcohol-free beer, although I've not tried very many of the craft ones at all.

The no-alcohol Guinness has piqued my interest in the past, but I'm not much of a Guinness drinker so probably wouldn't be best placed to determine how close it is to the original.

I've been sampling a few since my last post, @minstrels I have to agree that Lucky Saint is a very good AF lager/pilsner, it really does nail the mouthfeel and flavour. I don't like lager or pilsner that much, so it's not really for me.

I think it would taste amazing on draft though - to the extent that I'd happily have one in a pub if it was on tap if I was looking to moderate my drinking or if I was driving.

I tried the other Big Drop beers but they aren't as good as the Citra IPA in my experience - and even that is worse in a can. I found it on tap in a pub recently and on tap it was another level.

It makes me wonder why all craft beer places with 10+ taps don't have a dedicated AF tap - yeah sure, perhaps demand would be limited but surely there are designated drivers in many.

I've just put in an order at Athletic Brewing:

https://uk.athleticbrewing.com/

Will report back on how they are.

They have a referral offer where you can enter your name and email to get a free six pack with any purchase of a six pack (so 12 AF beers for the price of 6). If you're interested in giving them a go too you can get the offer here:

https://fbuy.io/s/eLeG4PZo

Full disclosure: I also get a free six pack of AF beer.