The Beer Thread

Professor Rob

For those not doing dry anything BBNO have a 40% off discount code at the moment...

JUICY40

Been some mixed experience in this thread with BBNO delivery, I've not had an issue thankfully but others have, I've taken a punt again so fingers crossed.

They have a new Hoppy box on the go at £80 for 24 beer...

6 x 05 India Pale Ale – Citra & Sabro (6.2%, 440ml)

6 x 42 DDH Pale Ale – Morden Wharf (5.5%, 440ml)

6 x 11 Session IPA – Mosaic (4.2%, 440ml)

6 x 05 India Pale Ale – Amarillo & Citra (6.0%, 440ml)

It's £50 for free delivery and the discount code brought this down to £48🤣 stuck in a chocolate orange stout to bring it up to £51 though.

2 hours ago, memories said:

For those not doing dry anything BBNO have a 40% off discount code at the moment...

JUICY40

Been some mixed experience in this thread with BBNO delivery, I've not had an issue thankfully but others have, I've taken a punt again so fingers crossed.

They have a new Hoppy box on the go at £80 for 24 beer...

6 x 05 India Pale Ale – Citra & Sabro (6.2%, 440ml)

6 x 42 DDH Pale Ale – Morden Wharf (5.5%, 440ml)

6 x 11 Session IPA – Mosaic (4.2%, 440ml)

6 x 05 India Pale Ale – Amarillo & Citra (6.0%, 440ml)

It's £50 for free delivery and the discount code brought this down to £48🤣 stuck in a chocolate orange stout to bring it up to £51 though.

Yeah, it was me that had issues with them, its finally resolved but I won't be ordering from them again for a very long time, if ever.  I had more minor issues with them earlier in the year too.

In a nutshell I had an order in that was for a pre-ordered beer only, I then made a second order that contained the same pre-ordered beer plus other beers.

1. I contacted them after I had a shipping notice for order 1 but had not received it and the tracking info was stuck, they ignored multiple messages over several days
  2. They contacted me about order 2 when one of the in stock beers became unavailable, we sorted alternative beer and the whole of order 2 arrived including some cans of the same beer that I had included in order 1.  They dont refund me the price difference but it was just a couple of quid so not too bothered.
  3. They continued to ignore me about order 1, confused it with order 2, were generally unhelpful and remind me again about it being a pre-order even though I know it is now available and even have some cans of it at home from order 2.  They were also now selling it at a 30% discount too! 😡
  4. I get increasingly hacked off that they keep ignoring me and not sending order 1 but stay polite and clearly say when I need the order by
  5. Nothing happens
  6. I ask for and get a refund on order 1 (they at least did this quickly in the new year)
  7. Drinking the beers from order 2 is making me a little grumpy but I soldier on 🤣

So nothing too terrible but I hate being repeatedly ignored and given half responses to plus I really don't appreciate that they were promoting and selling the same beer late in December as available for Christmas delivery with a discount when I was still waiting for my much earlier order that I paid full price for and they made zero effort to get it to me by Christmas or to make up for the issues in any way.

On 09/01/2022 at 21:24, Isaac said:

I've been sampling a few since my last post, @minstrels I have to agree that Lucky Saint is a very good AF lager/pilsner, it really does nail the mouthfeel and flavour. I don't like lager or pilsner that much, so it's not really for me.

I think it would taste amazing on draft though - to the extent that I'd happily have one in a pub if it was on tap if I was looking to moderate my drinking or if I was driving.

I tried the other Big Drop beers but they aren't as good as the Citra IPA in my experience - and even that is worse in a can. I found it on tap in a pub recently and on tap it was another level.

It makes me wonder why all craft beer places with 10+ taps don't have a dedicated AF tap - yeah sure, perhaps demand would be limited but surely there are designated drivers in many.

I've just put in an order at Athletic Brewing:

https://uk.athleticbrewing.com/

Will report back on how they are.

They have a referral offer where you can enter your name and email to get a free six pack with any purchase of a six pack (so 12 AF beers for the price of 6). If you're interested in giving them a go too you can get the offer here:

https://fbuy.io/s/eLeG4PZo

Full disclosure: I also get a free six pack of AF beer.

Following up on this, the Athletic Hazy IPA is genuinely magic:

e7d8c654-0191-4dd7-8a14-a0cfc8346cc6.thumb.jpg.de29f1f7845f517e8f1527ce63bea4b0.jpg

It's not just a good AF beer, it would be a solid 3.5-4 out of 5 session NEIPA.

The fact it is AF too is mind boggling. They have nailed the nose, initial taste, and more importantly the body of a beer. I have no idea how they've managed to get the body the same, so often alcohol free beer tastes thin but this doesn't taste thin at all.

Not surprised at all to discover after that it's the number one rated AF beer on beer advocate.

Sorry to keep banging on about alcohol free beer, but the two new AF sours that Gypsy Hill have put out are incredible:

https://wisebartender.co.uk/gipsy-hill--squashed-raspberry-lingonberry--blackberry-alcohol-free-sour-05-abv-16585-p.asp

https://wisebartender.co.uk/gipsy-hill--squashed-peach-bellini-alcohol-free-sour-05-abv-16597-p.asp

Both taste exactly like an alcoholic sour - like very good ones. Apparently you don't see alcohol-free sours that often as they are an absolute ball-ache to brew. But they have nailed these two.

On 10/01/2022 at 17:32, StumpyJohn said:

1. I contacted them after I had a shipping notice for order 1 but had not received it and the tracking info was stuck, they ignored multiple messages over several days

@StumpyJohn I might be about to join you in being pissed off with BBNO, currently at stage 1🤣.

Ordered last Monday and it sat at "processing" and not moving so I mailed them on Thursday and was told "sorry, covid delays, will be sent tomorrow" sure enough got a DHL tracking number on Friday.

Tracking just says DHL have received info at London depot and it hasn't moved since.

Mailed them again this morning so will see what they say.

5 minutes ago, memories said:

@StumpyJohn I might be about to join you in being pissed off with BBNO, currently at stage 1🤣.

Ordered last Monday and it sat at "processing" and not moving so I mailed them on Thursday and was told "sorry, covid delays, will be sent tomorrow" sure enough got a DHL tracking number on Friday.

Tracking just says DHL have received info at London depot and it hasn't moved since.

Mailed them again this morning so will see what they say.

😢

They never blamed covid when I was having issues so that bit is different at least! 😆

Those DHL issues sound very familiar, my initial order was stuck at "Shipment information received" and when I got an answer about it they said in their process they sometimes just print the label but do nothing with it and that triggers the email making the customer think its shipped when it hasn't.  What they did with that label over the following 2+ weeks i'll never know!. Basically their fulfillment process is shit and must cause them issues as well as their consumers.  How long has it been like that? if more than a day I think it might be the same issue for you.

I just don't get how they are so rubbish at dispatching a box as that is such a core part of online selling.  Pretty much every other brewery I've bought directly from ships within 2 days of the order, often just 1 day and uses 24 or 48 delivery.  BBNo just don't seem to be able to do the first part of that.  I've also twice had items not in stock when it came to creating my box so they seem to have poor stock control too.

Yip "Shipping information received" is exactly where I'm at with DHL as well so probably the same situation, been like that since last Friday.

Very disappointed, as I said before I've never had any issues and quick delivery on the 2 or 3 other times I've used them and my mate has used them a couple of times without issue as well.

Guess my luck ran out this time.

I'm another who used that 40% BBNo offer and it's now what, 10 days with no movement on delivery. Also not had problems in the past, so it's annoying but hopefully just something temporary they're going through. But it'll make me think twice about ordering again if it's the norm for many people!

21 minutes ago, milko said:

I'm another who used that 40% BBNo offer and it's now what, 10 days with no movement on delivery. Also not had problems in the past, so it's annoying but hopefully just something temporary they're going through. But it'll make me think twice about ordering again if it's the norm for many people!

7 minutes ago, memories said:

It was a cracking promotion so I imagine they got a good amount of orders but they should be prepared that.

Their general slow/ no responses and apparent process issues makes me think its more than just a volume spike but perhaps I am just a bit on the cynical/ pessimistic side (I deffo am! 😆).

Also they were busy sending out 30% discount offers and order now for delivery by Christmas mails at the time I was having issues.  If they had the capacity to fulfill new orders in that timeframe then why could they not sort out existing orders and if they couldn't cope with existing orders than why make promises for new ones 😡

Again, being a cynic, but regularly sending out large % discounts does not fill me with positivity for a product.  Makes me think its not worth the full price or other issues exist.  They sent me a 50% off for me and a friend/ new customer offer last week!

BBNO's quality is very high - I live round the corner from their new brewery on the thames and pop in for a pizza and a beer every now and then, and it's always good.

I think it sounds like their logistics is a total mess though.

23 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Putty hit Verdant's web shop at 10:30am today and it was sold out within 20 minutes. 

Didn't manage to get an order in.

I didn't even see the email in time; bloody work, what's the point of WFH if I can't spend all day doing online shopping! 🤣

Probably a good think anyway as I've soft banned myself from ordering from Verdant for a while as have ordered from them a good half dozen times in the last year or so.  Need to explore/ support some other breweries too

9 minutes ago, Isaac said:

BBNO's quality is very high - I live round the corner from their new brewery on the thames and pop in for a pizza and a beer every now and then, and it's always good.

I think it sounds like their logistics is a total mess though.

Yeah agree on the logistics side.

On the beer side, I agree that their beer is decent and back pre covid I'd pop into their tap room in Bermondsey from time to time as well as going to Kernel etc.

I do think that they have lost their mojo a bit though.  Their original brew by numbers philosophy was pretty distinct and they produced both a wide range of beer styles and had the hop based variety within those styles.  This included a few unusual/ uncommon beer styles that few if any other brewers were doing in the UK.  They seem to be a lot narrower these days and largely just follow current trends, hazy IPA, sours etc.  Perhaps this is just a necessity for survival in the current market but disappointing to me nonetheless.

Do they still have a greater variety in the taprooms than they do online?

An update, and not a good one.

DHL has just been and delivered...

IMG_20220120_101049.thumb.jpg.eb81898292a023719ac92a93ab22e454.jpg

1 single can from an order of 25.

Courier advised that the other box has been damaged in transit and they have/will be been back in touch with BBNO to arrange another.

I only added this one to bring my order over the cut off for free delivery as well. I'm not even that big a fan of stouts but have been trying them now and again and I love chocolate orange.

Checked DHL tracking and it looks like the second package didn't make it past the Midlands depot.

Have mailed BBNO this morning so will see what response I get.

Not a peep from BBNO despite several emails. 

Mailed again this morning so let's see how this week goes.

Update: Chased BBNO again this morning using both email and FB messenger.

They finally responded on messenger apologising and have resent the order via DPD this time, says they have chucked in a few extra beers as well.

DPD are saying delivery on Thursday so fingers crossed they take better care then DHL.

Funnily enough I went back to the new BBNO taproom and brewery on Sunday (the one in Morden Wharf) and was very impressed.

They had a tap takeover on (Wildcraft), a few cans from Evil Twin in the fridges, and loads of interesting guest sours.

Unfortunately I'm still dry, but at least they had a full selection of Big Drop AF beers for me to drink.

Great pizza too.

On 24/01/2022 at 09:21, memories said:

They finally responded on messenger apologising and have resent the order via DPD this time, says they have chucked in a few extra beers as well.

DPD are saying delivery on Thursday so fingers crossed they take better care then DHL.

DHL delivered my missing 24 can box and extra apology beers today. It's going well...

IMG_20220125_111721.jpg