The Beer Thread

Professor Rob

On 26/06/2022 at 16:38, dizogg said:

Is there any recommended sites to order beers from that are a bit different to what you can buy from your average supermarket? Going to a BBQ in a few weeks and want to bring something a bit ‘special’. 

The cheapest / best value place for craft beers in the whole UK I have found is House of Trembling Madness in York (but they ship nationally).

https://www.tremblingmadness.co.uk/

They are easily 50p-£1 cheaper than basically anywhere else for most beers. In many cases they are cheaper than the actual breweries themselves. No idea how.

• 3 weeks later...

Got back from NY the other day and managed a few bars.

Highly recommend the Evil Twin taproom in the DUMBO area, the Other Half taproom at the Rockefeller centre and As Is NYC bar 

Great beers in those three with OH being the standout, lovely chilled out bar and happy for kids to come in and you were free to bring food in. Kids had gone off for a Chick-fil-A and so checked with the barmaid about that as they might not want smelly takeaways in but was not problem at all. Only issue with it is that it closes at 10 at the weekends and 9 through the week. Spoke to the barman about why and he was saying that no one come to that area to drink so not worth opening any later. Seems a fair point but as I walked back to the hotel not 5 mins away fro OH was Sean's Irish bar that's open till 4 in the morning and was quite busy. 

Evil Twin was another excellent relaxed bar with great beers. One thing to note though was they don't serve any soft drinks at all, kids were disappointed as we thought they could get something themselves but the only "soft" drink they have is water. Didn't stay as long as planned in here due to that to be honest.

As Is is a general bar over on 10th avenue and again a relaxed atmosphere, I was here at night so not sure on the kids situation.

Tried a couple of other bars but wasn't taken with the beer selection, Beer Culture and Hellcat Annies. Seemed nice bars but just nothing that really grabbed me on the tap list.

Beer highlight was an afternoon quick visit to OH they had on new collabs with Monkish and Trillium, one called Fully Loaded Baked Potato and one called Thrice Baked Potato, both were absolutely incredible but the third one called Latkes was just out of this world, so glad managed to get in and sample these.

Some pics...

IMG_20220712_152928.jpg

IMG_20220710_174039__01.jpg

IMG_20220710_185655.jpg

IMG_20220712_155045.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Quick note that https://www.beermerchants.com/ have a 15% off code "BEERME" today and over the weekend.  Delivery is free over £50 too.  In my experience they use DHL and stuff tends to arrive in 48-72 hours so not as quick as some direct breweries that use next day shipping.

They have a pretty wide range of UK and international beer, I tend to use them for German and Belgium beers but have had UK stuff from them too such as boxcar, deya, beak when I wanted a mix rather than 24 cans direct from the one brewer 

• 2 weeks later...

The London Craft Beer Festival was utterly brilliant this weekend, over 90 breweries, 1000 beers, all you can drink, and with talks hosted by the decent guys at the craft beer channel.

Wish it was every weekend to be honest, I was a total pig in shit.

Maybe Brewdog should take some tip, sounds like the AGM was a bit of a disaster. Undersized bars causing huge queues, bars running out of beer, food vendors running out of food half way through on top of massive queues to get food. Folk leaving and not being allowed back in.

46 minutes ago, memories said:

Maybe Brewdog should take some tip, sounds like the AGM was a bit of a disaster. Undersized bars causing huge queues, bars running out of beer, food vendors running out of food half way through on top of massive queues to get food. Folk leaving and not being allowed back in.

It was an absolute mess. I bailed at around 7ish and had only managed to get 7 drinks since 1.30. It was literally a case of getting a drink then rejoining the queue. To add insult to injury there wasn't much in the way of special beers and they were only putting certain beers on at certain times. Unlike previous years most of the bar staff were hired hands and I suspect some had never pulled a pint in their lives. 

I tried to get some food too but gave up after half an hour (only about 10 food vans for around 10,000 people). The frustrating thing is I went to Hazlehead Park on Monday and saw then setting up. The plans were on the fence and even at that point I (who have no event planning experience) could tell the bar tents were not going to be anywhere near enough for the cited capacity. 

Apart from the obvious lack of provision for food and drink there was hardly any seating (and a ban on taking camping chairs), and no shade. Everyone involved with the planning and organising of the event should hang their heads in shame.  

1 hour ago, Skull Commander said:

It was an absolute mess. I bailed at around 7ish and had only managed to get 7 drinks since 1.30. It was literally a case of getting a drink then rejoining the queue. To add insult to injury there wasn't much in the way of special beers and they were only putting certain beers on at certain times. Unlike previous years most of the bar staff were hired hands and I suspect some had never pulled a pint in their lives. 

I tried to get some food too but gave up after half an hour (only about 10 food vans for around 10,000 people). The frustrating thing is I went to Hazlehead Park on Monday and saw then setting up. The plans were on the fence and even at that point I (who have no event planning experience) could tell the bar tents were not going to be anywhere near enough for the cited capacity. 

Apart from the obvious lack of provision for food and drink there was hardly any seating (and a ban on taking camping chairs), and no shade. Everyone involved with the planning and organising of the event should hang their heads in shame.  

Glad I gave it a miss thankfully.

There is a small one beer festival happening out in inverurie next weekend the me and a couple of mates are going to and it looks a lot more interesting than what BD was offering.

For starters...

IMG-20220809-WA0008.jpg

Screenshot_20220809-185847.jpg

On 16/07/2022 at 03:33, Isaac said:

Currently on holiday in Portland, Maine. The capital of craft beer in the US, with a frankly astonishing 13.3 breweries per capita.

Pick of the bunch I have tried so far has to be https://www.belleflowerbeer.com/

Every single brew was incredible.

I tried half a dozen or so Belleflowers in Unit 9 and at home a month or two ago after cloudwater imported a load of kegs and cans and they were pretty good although none that I'd describe as incredible. Very nice artwork too.

2 hours ago, memories said:

Undersized bars causing huge queues, bars running out of beer, food vendors running out of food half way through on top of massive queues to get food. Folk leaving and not being allowed back in.

A brewery not being able to organize a piss up in a (almost) brewery is a new one. 

Also, don't buy Brewdog.

For those who like to order a few cans online Trembling Madness in York have become my new favourite.

Verdant released a collab beer with Weird Walk, a zine I very much enjoy, and as said beer comes with six different labels I, of course, needed all of them. They sold out at Verdant and a few other places before I could get round to ordering them as I was waiting as hoped my local bottle shop/bar might get them in (but didn't). 

I googled this morning and Trembling Madness had them in stock so  ldropped them an email to ask if they had all six designs, which they did and without asking took them off sale to hold for me as they as they were down to their last few. Very decent as I've not used them before (but have visited their excellent bar in York a couple of times).  They, aren’t half a dozen Beak cans I ordered, will be here tomorrow. Nice.

They are also very fairly priced. The Verdant beers worked out at about the same price as direct from the brewery and everything else I ordered was cheaper than direct from Beak as were prices on a couple of other breweries I checked out. Very large range too...

Recommended.

1 hour ago, Mike S said:

A brewery not being able to organize a piss up in a (almost) brewery is a new one. 

Also, don't buy Brewdog.

Couldn't agree more.

I became a shareholder a couple of years ago just to go to the AGM for the guest beers that would be on, all are so much better than BD own stuff.

And agree about Trembling madness. Mate and I ordered some session beers for before this festival this weekend and I also picked up a Polly's 12 pack deal they had on for £55 I think it was. Ordered Tuesday and arrived Thursday. Great service, good selection and good prices.

2 minutes ago, memories said:

Couldn't agree more.

I became a shareholder a couple of years ago just to go to the AGM for the guest beers that would be on, all are so much better than BD own stuff.

Yep. If I am in a town I'm not too familiar with I'll always stick my head in and see what the guest beers are as, usually, they have some decent things on. I also find their staff to be friendly and helpful way more often than not which always helps.

I was in Edinburgh in February and ended up spending a whole evening in the very small Brewdog on Cowgate as, for starters, they had a few decent Omnipollo's and an Overtone on. We ended up staying all night as it felt way more like a small, neighbourhood, bar with friendly locals and their dogs, some lad set up singing with an acoustic guitar, really friendly staff, and just a really, really great atmosphere. Didn't drink any Brewdog in there but far and away the best of their bars I've visited.

The problem is that they charge an arm and a leg for their guest stuff, whereas they massively subsidise their own brand (crap) beer.

Which is something they are well within their right to do, of course, but it does make the whole guest beer thing seem like a token gesture. 

I swear the difference never used to be quite so pronounced.

Happy that everyone is waking up to how brilliant Trembling Madness are!

Yeah they fairly bump prices.

Mate sent me the top pic from one of the brewdogs in Aberdeen on Friday night the bottom is from the Black Isle bar in Inverness that I was in myself on Friday.

£5.35 a third compared to £4.20 a pint. 

IMG-20220813-WA0001.jpg

Screenshot_20220813-084040.jpg

3 hours ago, Mike S said:

For those who like to order a few cans online Trembling Madness in York have become my new favourite.

Verdant released a collab beer with Weird Walk, a zine I very much enjoy, and as said beer comes with six different labels I, of course, needed all of them. They sold out at Verdant and a few other places before I could get round to ordering them as I half hoped my local bottle shop/bar might get them in (but didn't). 

I googled this morning and found Trembling Madness had them in stock so  dropped them an email to ask if they had all six designs, which they did and without asking took off sale to hold for me as they as they were down to their last few. Very decent as I've not used them before (but have visited their excellent bar in York a couple of times).  They are half a dozen Beak cans I ordered at the same time will be here tomorrow. Nice.

They are also very fairly priced. The Verdant beers worked out at about the same price as direct from the brewery and everything else I ordered was cheaper than direct from Beak as were prices on a couple of other breweries I checked out. Very large range too...

Recommended.

Is that the Verdant/ Weird Walk NE Pale Ale? I almost ordered that when I did my last order from Verdant but went with something else in the end.  I did include the Verdant/ LHG/ Deya collab "LSBB" though which was really excellent.  Wanted to order more after I drank the first can but they were all gone; luckily I found some on FUSS club who I hadn't used before.  Coincidentally I put a bunch of Beak cans in that order too!.  Will give trembling madness a go next time as I've had a tab open on them for a while now.

3 minutes ago, memories said:

Mate sent me the top pic from one of the brewdogs in Aberdeen on Friday night the bottom is from the Black Isle bar in Inverness that I was in myself on Friday.

IMG-20220813-WA0001.jpg

BD charge over £5 for a third of a pint of shandy? Fuck-ing-hell!!!

7 minutes ago, memories said:

IMG-20220813-WA0001.jpg

£5.35 for a third pint of a 2.5% radler is fucking criminal. They do that a lot too - sell thirds of guest beers for the same price as a pint elsewhere.

The one that caught my attention was £7.80 for a pint of Lost and Grounded Helles in a Brewdog bar, which is at least £2 more than I've ever seen it selling for before, including in zone 1 London.

1 minute ago, StumpyJohn said:

Is that the Verdant/ Weird Walk NE Pale Ale? I almost ordered that when I did my last order from Verdant but went with something else in the end.  I did include the Verdant/ LHG/ Deya collab "LSBB" though which was really excellent.  Wanted to order more after I drank the first can but they were all gone; luckily I found some on FUSS club who I hadn't used before.  Coincidentally I put a bunch of Beak cans in that order too!.  Will give trembling madness a go next time as I've had a tab open on them for a while now.

Yeah, the Ritual Pale Ale. I’d not normally buy six of anything but the cans have six Weird Walk covers as artwork and I’m a big WW fan. Plus, Verdant make a decent pale and it is exactly the right weather for it..

Yeah, no idea why I’ve never used TM before as I’ve always enjoyed visiting their bar when in York. I suppose it’s mostly as I don’t really order too much beer online aside from direct from breweries but with TM being cheaper than going direct, plus all the additional variety too, makes them a no brainer in future…

8 minutes ago, memories said:

IMG-20220813-WA0001.jpg

That is some serious gouging!

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/09/2022 at 20:27, disperse and recoagulate said:

Twitter thread on beer advent calendars:

Has anyone here got any personal recommendations? I was bitterly disappointed with last years Brewdog one (and it was free) so looking to push the boat out and get a good one this time around.

I've gone with the brewexport one. All import american beers, and their selection and service so far has been excellent so this should be good.