IGNORED

Recommend Me A Whisky

Strawp

Bought a bottle of Bowmore yesterday - on offer in Sainsbury for £25! It's not what I expected from an Islay Scotch, but it's fucking lovely. Very similar to The Macallan Gold I had earlier in the year.

That's just it - you buy an Islay Scotch, you expect it to be rather peaty. Not the case here. There's a hint of it, but that's it. It's really fruity, actually. I'm finishing off a glass now before bed, it's fucking lllllluuuuuusssssshhhhh!! :)

Odd, the nearer I get to the end of this bottle, the more peaty it tastes...

Love the time stamps on these showing how quickly it went. I think that's a great recommendation if anything is; will try and pick up a bottle, sounds right up my street it being not too peaty but still a hint.

Bought a bottle of Bowmore yesterday - on offer in Sainsbury for £25! It's not what I expected from an Islay Scotch, but it's fucking lovely. Very similar to The Macallan Gold I had earlier in the year.

Yeah I think it's one of the best priced whiskeys out there. Rather fruity which isn't really my thing. I tried a Smokehead a while back and that's more me. Though the other day I had a Quarter cask Laphroaig at a bar and really liked it, very peaty and smokey. I want to get a bottle, cost about $75CAD here. You can get a 25 year old bottle but it costs $550CAD! I just don't get that. What sort of mentalist would pay that much for a bottle of whisky? Even $75 seems steep to me. Drives me mad actually, I really like Whisky but I just feel ridiculous paying the same amount as a full price new videogame for a bottle that won't last a week. I'm still new to this as you can probably tell. I only recently discovered you should be putting teaspoons of water in your drink. Perhaps that makes it last longer, lol.

What is the most anyone here has paid for a bottle?

Though the other day I had a Quarter cask Laphroaig at a bar and really liked it, very peaty and smokey. I want to get a bottle, cost about $75CAD here. You can get a 25 year old bottle but it costs $550CAD! I just don't get that. What sort of mentalist would pay that much for a bottle of whisky?

The beauty of Laphroig imo is the price. My favourite whisky, and grossly underpriced! For me, the regular 12 is nicer than the quarter cast too.

Or you could just drink it straight. :)

You could, but the point is that a tiny bit of water really opens up the flavour as it mixes with the oils.

Personally, I try with and without and find that some whisky improves a LOT whilst others not so much. I'm another for a trickle straight from the tap, but that's probably because I'd rather spend my money on whisky than a nice little jug ;)

I realise I'm likely to be shot down in flames for this, but as a keen Islay/peaty malt drinker (favouring Laphroig, Bowmore, with Talisker probably coming in 3rd, though obviously not an Islay), and as a non-beer drinker (inc. lager, bitter, whatever you want to call them), I'm always on the look out for a longer drink. Recently I discovered that Black Grouse mixed with Sprite gives a nice sweet but still smokey peat tasting drink that i find quite refreshing :)

Chris

Yeah I think it's one of the best priced whiskeys out there. Rather fruity which isn't really my thing. I tried a Smokehead a while back and that's more me. Though the other day I had a Quarter cask Laphroaig at a bar and really liked it, very peaty and smokey. I want to get a bottle, cost about $75CAD here. You can get a 25 year old bottle but it costs $550CAD! I just don't get that. What sort of mentalist would pay that much for a bottle of whisky? Even $75 seems steep to me. Drives me mad actually, I really like Whisky but I just feel ridiculous paying the same amount as a full price new videogame for a bottle that won't last a week. I'm still new to this as you can probably tell. I only recently discovered you should be putting teaspoons of water in your drink. Perhaps that makes it last longer, lol.

What is the most anyone here has paid for a bottle?

Didn't buy it myself, but was bought a bottle of 18 year old Glenfiddich a couple of years ago. Sells for about £45 I think. Profound difference between it and the 12 Y.O., but I'm not sure I'd pay that much myself. Most I've paid is about £30.

If you're looking for expensive:

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/selection/macallan_1928_50_yo_whisky.aspx

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-9391.aspx

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I realise I'm likely to be shot down in flames for this, but as a keen Islay/peaty malt drinker (favouring Laphroig, Bowmore, with Talisker probably coming in 3rd, though obviously not an Islay), and as a non-beer drinker (inc. lager, bitter, whatever you want to call them), I'm always on the look out for a longer drink. Recently I discovered that Black Grouse mixed with Sprite gives a nice sweet but still smokey peat tasting drink that i find quite refreshing :)

Chris

A friends new favourite drink is a double Glenfiddich with Ginger beer & ice served in a tall glass.

He swears by it. A real discovery he said.

I see that the 'beer' could be a problem for you but maybe it's worth a try?

Haven't tried it yet myself.

Ginger beer ... yuck!! And no, that's not me being a whisky snob or anything (drink it however you like :)) but ... ginger beer!! EEEUUURRRGGHH!!!

As for me, I have a bottle of Jura Superstition that is disappearing fast!! I'm not a fan of Origin, but Superstition is lovely!! :)

I prefer it straight myself but I'm tempted to try it. Even if it's only to find out if he's right or if he's lost the plot.

That's Ginger Ale though dude. Thinking it might be similar, I looked up what Bourbon & Branch - JR Ewing's fave drink - is a mix of. Turns out that 'branch' is just plain water (usually from the same source they make the bourbon from).

LeChuck, Bowmore is back on special in Sainsburys.

Oh snap, proper ginger beer? Weird, but would probably work out the same. As an aside I didn't know that Ginger beer was an actual thing until a year or so ago. I always thought ale and beer were interchangeable for the same drink. Probably from my Grandparents calling it that.

Its arguably the best blended whisky out there, inoffensive while still having some character. However, I've noticed its price rise a little of late, to the point where it's better to spend the same (sometimes less) on a better quality single malt. For example, I got Jura Superstition for £24, cheaper than Monkey shoulder by a few quid.

For a blended I really liked Black Bottle, and it was dirt cheap. Haven't seen it for ages in the supermarket though.

Spunked £36 on a bottle of Macallan Gold yesterday. Fuck it, it's one of my favourites, maybe even my definitive favourite.

Love it - but bizarrely too subtle for my heavy cold the other week. Had to go with something more aggressive to get some vapour into my airways.

Very excited to discover there's a whisky thread on rllmuk, but horrified by how cheap the UK prices are compared to NZ. Bastards.

I'm taking my baby steps in the world of single malts; collection so far is just a Glenmorangie 10 and a Highland Park 12, but I'm to my FLWS with a friend this weekend for some tasting. I have either the Springbank 12 or the GlenDronach Revival 15 (Sherry Cask) in my sights, both of which I've tasted and loved. Tried the Jura Superstition and the Dufftown Singleton when I was over in the UK last, neither of which left much of an impression.

It's taken over from wine as my odd weeknight tipple of choice. For the last two years, my wife's been pregnant/breastfeeding/too tired to drink much wine, and trying to get through bottles single handed before they went off (even with a vacuvin) wasn't doing me much good. Whisky gives me all the interest (and more) of a good bottle of wine, while being easily resealable.