IGNORED

Recommend Me A Whisky

Strawp

I've got a varied selection at the moment.  With another full litre each of Prophecy and Turas Mara in the cupboard to keep me going for a bit after the impending zombie apocalypse.  My favourites are the Dalwhinnie 15, Prophecy and Dark Storm.  The Winter's Gold and Glenfiddich 12 were Christmas presents, the latter of which is quite tasty, if a little on the light side - I haven't tried the former yet.  That Co-Op one hiding at the back is surprisingly good!  I think it only cost about twelve quid or something daft.

Photo0297.jpg

Hey guys. I was gifted a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask for my 40th a year ago, and I'm nearly at the bottom now. I found it OK, but a little too, umm, medicinal (?) to really enjoy. Anyone got a recommendation for a replacement?

Something less peaty then, and perhaps with a lower percentage. Have you been adding a few drops of water to your dram? Helps soften and open up the flavour of very peaty ones.

I'll always recommend Highland Park as a good all-rounder, although the bargain at this time of year is usually heavily discounted multi-packs of 5cl bottles left over in the supermarkets from Chrimbo. They're a good way to try out new whiskies - I'd recommend the Balvenie one, and the Glenfiddich isn't bad either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I feel like an idiot posting this, and I do apologise for insulting you whisky lovers, but what makes a good whisky-present? The birthday of a colleague is coming up and all I know is that he loves whisky. We both live and work in Ireland so an Irish whisky seems like the best possible gift. Here is the thing: I know nothing about whisky (I prefer vodka), and what type of whisky he prefers.

With that very limited information, is is possible to recommend me a whisky that makes a nice birthday gift? Budget is 150 euro.

@df0 That's a good budget. If you go for Irish whiskey, there's a couple of Tulamore Dew Single Malts (10 and 14 yr-old) that get good reviews and are about €90-ish. As for Scotch whisky, Balvenie Carribean Cask is one of my favourites and about €55, Aberlour 12 yr-old is about €45 (and can be got cheaper if the supermarket has a special on), Dalwhinnie is good, as is Macallan Gold. Depends on what type he likes really - those are all Speyside/Highland, so quite smooth and sweet, probably closer to Irish. I don't really like the Islay ones, too medicinal for me.

I decided to start on whisky and so aimed to buy some fairly varied ones, bourbon and a couple of different single malts. Of which I really like Maker's Mark bourbon, for the single malts I really like Auchentoshan Three Wood, and I quite like Hakushu Distiller's Reserve. The latter I just don't feel like necking compared to the first two which isn't necessarily a bad thing, prefer it with a drop of water as well which seems to really change this one.

Pretty sure I like Talisker 10 although I've usually got that at the end of an evening night out post meal and so on so I might be half cut. Anything similar I should try? Arberlour 12 has just dropped to its lowest price ever on Amazon so I've got a bottle of that on the way as well. 

Looks like it's because it's on a daily deal, Buffalo Trace is £15 and Eagle Rare is £20. I was looking at the latter for some reason, wish I'd have ordered one of those and one of the Maker's Mark now! Not sure I can justify a third bottle, best try cancel and reorder :lol: 

• 1 month later...

A good friend just popped by and gave me a bottle of Scotch. Never mentioned it was a good one or anything just "nice to see you Toe, oh and here's a bottle".

Well we had a catch-up and he left. I'll have a lttle tipple and some PSVR I think. Noticed on opening it that the topper was bloody heavy, like lead. Now I used to like a nice Isle of Jura Scotch back in the day but never got too deep into whats good etc. Anyway it's this -

20170721_202356.jpg

Tastes bloody amazing but the price nearly gave me a heart attack. Should have saved it for a better night I think.

It feels guilty to enjoy expensive stuff but you have to drink it at some point! I was given a bottle of Whisky Society White Chocolate Mice a year ago - one of only 200 or so bottles - but I still enjoy a glass every now and again.

At least it's not as bad as wine, where you might keep it out of price/sentimentality and it doesn't age well.