IGNORED

Recommend Me A Whisky

Strawp

• 5 months later...

WWE Elimination Chamber on tonight so I thought I'd treat myself to a new scotch. Never had a Glenfiddich before, so after some research found that the 15 year seems to be the more popular one. 

$90 after tax :/  (52 quid)

image.png.3b5b2ecde61ca36781a0abae6b071733.png

I may regret asking this but...... how do you get into whiskey?

My experience is of classics like southern comfort and Jack Daniels and I don’t like the latter but I doubt I’ve had a drop of whiskey in the last 20 years so what should I be trying to see if it’s for me, basically I’ve watched a lot of Mad Men and Parks and Red of late....

What pulled me in was a bar downtown doing 'Whisky Wednesday' where you could get small 'drams' of really high quality scotch for about $10-$20 . So I'd try a few, I think I was lucky and figured out what I liked pretty quickly (peaty/woody/smokey). Because it was so expensive I found I would really consume it slowly, so I figured paying a bottle and having 1 or 2 drams every now and again would be worth it. I'm someone who likes tv/films/wrestling etc, found that I would always want to chomp on tonnes of chocs like M&M's or loads of beers when watching a special tv/film/wrestling etc. Scotch for me is the perfect replacement for that, just something to consume super slowly for a long period of time. Yet much much more healthy.

That's kind of how I started.

Oh and having it on the rocks, with droplets of water really helped me. Some are too harsh without.

4 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

I may regret asking this but...... how do you get into whiskey?

My experience is of classics like southern comfort and Jack Daniels and I don’t like the latter but I doubt I’ve had a drop of whiskey in the last 20 years so what should I be trying to see if it’s for me, basically I’ve watched a lot of Mad Men and Parks and Red of late....

You can start by spelling it right. ;)

Capwn has it right though. Start off with a good one, but have a lot of ice. Whisky is definitely an acquired taste. The strength of the alcohol is basically an assault on your palate, and it takes time for your palate to be used to it. Using a lot of ice means the chill can take the edge off the alcohol burn, and will slowly dilute the whisky to unlock more subtle flavours. 

Good ones to start with are "Speyside" whiskies like Glenfiddich, or Aberlour.  You may wish to avoid "Islay" whiskies for the time being.

5 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Really? I think if you add lots of ice then you're ruining the taste. I thought anything more than a few drops was considered sacrilege? 

Some will say adding even a few drops is sacrilege. Nowadays I prefer to drink a good whisky straight up. But when I first started I needed a lot of ice, and slowly sipped at it. :)

I got started with Glenmorangie 10, which is a comparatively gentle and sweet whisky. It won't taste like that when you start, though! I still think it's a decent starter's choice, and it's easy to find. I can't imagine starting with an Islay or something similarly peaty.

Rather than ice, I'd recommend taking it neat (or with a tiny drop of water) and giving it time - pour it early evening and nurse it over the next hour or so, taking tiny sips. Enjoy the nose, too - a Glencairn glass helps here (they're cheap, and often bundled with bottles in promo boxes).

Once you've got the hang on that, recruit a mate and do a tasting session at your friendly local whisky shop. This will give you a much better idea of what you're interested in trying next.

This sounds odd, but it's my booze of choice for drinking alone - you can sip from a dram over quite a long period (the peaty numbers in particular demand slowness, IMO), enjoying the flavours and the smell, and it keeps well so you can progress through a bottle slowly over the months.

Picked up a bottle of The Glenlivet 12 Year today, which has been conspicuous in its absence from supermarket shelves for the last few years. Was there a shortage or something? They seemed to have been replaced with the "Founders reserve", which is a really dogshit NAS whisky. 

• 3 months later...
On 26/02/2019 at 19:21, Thor said:

Picked up a bottle of The Glenlivet 12 Year today, which has been conspicuous in its absence from supermarket shelves for the last few years. Was there a shortage or something? They seemed to have been replaced with the "Founders reserve", which is a really dogshit NAS whisky. 

I remember reading that demand had skyrocketed for aged single malts a few years ago and a lot of distilleries couldn’t keep up with demand. I guess with gin overtaking it in popularity the last few years (and it being much easier to pump out a decent gin without having to age it) they’ve had a chance to catch up.

4 hours ago, Jammy said:

I remember reading that demand had skyrocketed for aged single malts a few years ago and a lot of distilleries couldn’t keep up with demand. I guess with gin overtaking it in popularity the last few years (and it being much easier to pump out a decent one without ageing) they’ve had a chance to catch up.

I see the GlenDronach 15 is back (yay!) but now costs £60 a bottle (boo!).

I have far too much whisky in the cabinet, but I'd still buy a bottle of that like a shot if I stumbled upon it on my travels.

This is probably heresy in this thread, but last weekend, on a whim because it was cheap in Tesco (£15 for 70cl), I bought a bottle of Famous Grouse Bourbon Cask. And it's lovely. For reference my favourite single malt is Aberlour 12 and I'm also partial to a good bourbon too. This is a relatively inexpensive way of hitting my sweet spot square on.

IDShot_540x540.jpg

1 hour ago, Darren said:

This is probably heresy in this thread, but last weekend, on a whim because it was cheap in Tesco (£15 for 70cl), I bought a bottle of Famous Grouse Bourbon Cask. And it's lovely. For reference my favourite single malt is Aberlour 12 and I'm also partial to a good bourbon too. This is a relatively inexpensive way of hitting my sweet spot square on.

Your tastes sound like mine, and I'm running low on stocks (I've been playing a lot of RDR2, which demands to be played with whisky). I'm going to, against my better instincts, give this a try assuming my Tesco have it. The worst that can happen is you gain my eternal hatred, and I'm willing to take that risk.

• 1 month later...

I just want to say that Lidl's Ben Bracken Speyside is an unbelievable single malt for £17. So good. I love a nice whisky but can rarely justify buying a bottle of something good. That's as nice to me as whiskies as costing two or three times as much. 

The Internet seems to think its a rebadged Tamnavulin which I have never tasted. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/06/2019 at 11:52, Alexlotl said:

I see the GlenDronach 15 is back (yay!) but now costs £60 a bottle (boo!).

My wife bought me a bottle of this for Christmas and I managed to make it last for three months or so. Took some discipline, because it was bloody lovely.

I don't know if it's worth roughly double my usual whisky spend - i.e. whatever single malt with age statement is on offer in Sainsbury's - but I'm pretty sure it was the best I've tried so far (having only really been into whisky for a few years).

Worth keeping an eye out for the little Glendronach gift packs they do at Christmas, with shorties of the 10, 12 and 15 (from memory). After Christmas, Sainsbury’s apply absolutely absurd discounts to them to get their shelf space back.

On 11/07/2019 at 20:33, deerokus said:

I just want to say that Lidl's Ben Bracken Speyside is an unbelievable single malt for £17. So good. I love a nice whisky but can rarely justify buying a bottle of something good. That's as nice to me as whiskies as costing two or three times as much. 

The Internet seems to think its a rebadged Tamnavulin which I have never tasted. 

Oh, that’s interesting. I’ve recently taken a shine to Tamnavulin, after it being on offer in multiple supermarkets. It’s a decent dram.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10 June 2019 at 15:59, Peter St John said:

The JD single barrel selections are normally pretty good, especially if you can get them at barrel proof strength.

(my tastes in bourbon tend to run to Four Roses, Wild Turkey, and Heaven Hill, but in a pinch, JD Single Barrel Select will do ;))

Bulleit is showing up in more places and is pretty decent.

4 hours ago, smac said:

Bulleit is showing up in more places and is pretty decent.

I tend to avoid Bulleit due to the long-running saga detailed here:https://neatpour.com/2019/07/exclusive-hollis-b-worth-talks-about-bulleit-diageo-split/  but it's definitely decent for the price! (and for a long time it was contracted-distilled by Four Roses, so if you like Bulleit, there's a good chance you'll enjoy any Four Roses bourbon too).