Recommend Me A Whisky

On 18/02/2020 at 20:21, Thor said:

What is this "slow drinking"? :wacko:

Many have mentioned their top tier affordable whiskies, and @Lucky is right about Aberlour, but I'd say the 12 Year, not the 10. 

Lagavulin 16 is an interesting one. Top tier, absolutely; affordable ... its £50 a pop most of the time, I consider that expensive. That said, I managed to get a Dalmore 15 year at Xmas, it was a gift, but was available for the same price (£50) during Black Friday. It's the best whisky I've ever had. 

But Lagavulin 16 is incredibly affordable for a 16yo single malt. You'd be hard pushed to find any 16yo single malts for a normal retail price of £50 - Lagavulin's is about the cheapest on the market. Even that Dalmore, a year younger, costs more, Black Friday deals aside. Mind, however much you think of either bottle (I think the Laga is an absolute staple), they both suffer a little in presentation, at 40% for the Dalmore and 43% for the Lagavulin, with chill filtering and artificial colour in both. 

If I were to have to recommend a single great but affordable 'name' whisky - a single malt, anyway - I'd have to say Old Pulteney 12yo. You can often get it in supermarkets for £25 or even £24. And it's an absolute classic imo, especially if you like the taste of the malt itself rather than sherry cask or peat smoke or whatever. It's almost pure 'whisky', with just a touch of the saline to it, and all the better for it. A real bargain if you ever see it at that price, but if you're only into sherry bombs or peat monsters - two treatments that when heavily applied can often be used to mask a multitude of sins imo - you might be quite underwhelmed. It's just a really good whisky.

But the price/quality relationship of whiskies has gone a bit mental over the past couple of years, I think. Especially when it comes to higher age statements (or even 15 years +). Just crazy. Too many collectors and people looking to snipe any bargains and sell on for a quick profit in the secondary market. Those fucking Glendronachs that were older than their age statements helped lead the way, cheered on by the growing WhiskyTube community, and it's been a slippery slope ever since. Sometimes the best deals these days are on the simplest things, and that's where I think OP 12yo fits right in. (Even OP's 15yo is now way over twice the 12yo's price.)

• Upvote 2
On 21/02/2020 at 15:34, Gorf King said:

If I were to have to recommend a single great but affordable 'name' whisky - a single malt, anyway - I'd have to say Old Pulteney 12yo. You can often get it in supermarkets for £25 or even £24. And it's an absolute classic imo, especially if you like the taste of the malt itself rather than sherry cask or peat smoke or whatever. It's almost pure 'whisky', with just a touch of the saline to it, and all the better for it. A real bargain if you ever see it at that price, but if you're only into sherry bombs or peat monsters - two treatments that when heavily applied can often be used to mask a multitude of sins imo - you might be quite underwhelmed. It's just a really good whisky.

YES! Old Pulteney has long been my go to whisky. It can always be found on offer and is never disappointing unlike a lot of these no age types. I always feel it's overlooked, perhaps on it's always discounted status, but it's a solid dram. 

On 21/02/2020 at 15:34, Gorf King said:

But Lagavulin 16 is incredibly affordable for a 16yo single malt. You'd be hard pushed to find any 16yo single malts for a normal retail price of £50 - Lagavulin's is about the cheapest on the market. Even that Dalmore, a year younger, costs more, Black Friday deals aside. Mind, however much you think of either bottle (I think the Laga is an absolute staple), they both suffer a little in presentation, at 40% for the Dalmore and 43% for the Lagavulin, with chill filtering and artificial colour in both. 

But the price/quality relationship of whiskies has gone a bit mental over the past couple of years, I think. Especially when it comes to higher age statements (or even 15 years +). Just crazy. Too many collectors and people looking to snipe any bargains and sell on for a quick profit in the secondary market. Those fucking Glendronachs that were older than their age statements helped lead the way, cheered on by the growing WhiskyTube community, and it's been a slippery slope ever since. Sometimes the best deals these days are on the simplest things, and that's where I think OP 12yo fits right in. (Even OP's 15yo is now way over twice the 12yo's price.)

I have to say that "sherry bombs" have long since been my favourite style, but I'm going to be giving Old Pulteney a try next time round.

I have an unopened Old Pultney in my cellar*, as I'm still drinking through the backlog I acquired by virtue of my entire extended family grasping the fact that I liked whisky and giving me nothing else for birthday/Christmas for a few years. I'll have to move it up the list.

* wardrobe

4 hours ago, ZOK said:

Any of you whisky types know what’s happened to Strathisla 12? I haven’t seen a bottle on sale for ages.

I think it's been discontinued. Strathisla's never been a big single malt producer - their stuff is mainly used as a major component of Chivas Regal blends - and I reckon they must have packed the single malt game in and been told to concentrate on producing for the blends. Or maybe they'll launch a new core range soon (and probably not a 12yo).

4 hours ago, Professor Rob said:

I have to say that "sherry bombs" have long since been my favourite style, but I'm going to be giving Old Pulteney a try next time round.

It'll be quite a contrast then - I find the 12 to be quite citrusy, and it's got that maritime saltiness on top. But under that there's just this pure distillate flavour. You can really taste the malt.

• Upvote 2

Whisky is such a difficult thing to recommend with everyone having very different tastes.  I love Laphroaig and Lagavulin, and based on this a friend recommendation Caol Ila.

I saw a 12 year old bottle at a good price and  bought it and while it's a decent enough whisky it doesn't do a lot for me. I'm distinctly underwhelmed and mildly disappointed, yet my friend still swears it's the best. 

• 2 weeks later...

Bulleit is probably also a viable option. Maker's is a wheat-based bourbon, so it'll be sweeter; Bulleit will be spicier due to the rye content.

(other great options would be Wild Turkey 101 or Four Roses Single Barrel, both of which I think are readily available in the UK)

• Upvote 1

So I got a bottle of the Lidl "highland" single malt, and as expected it's a really good value whisky. Slightly floral and rich, similar to the Gelngoyne I just finished actually and I prefer it to the Lidl Speyside malt.

Just having my first glass of the Lidl Highland ... it's not shit, but I won't be buying it again. 

edit: In fairness, this is from a neck pour, maybe I'm being unfair. It does have pleasant finish at least.

On 14/03/2020 at 12:08, pledge said:

Total beginner. Looking for a Bourbon to go in a cocktail (Paper Plane). Example I saw was Maker's Mark. Anything else I should consider?

Given you are adding Amaro, Aperol and Lemon, I'd say anything with 'bourbon' on the label would do!

But more seriously, Woodford Reserve would give you some sweet / toffee flavours to counterbalance all the bitterness and sourness you are putting in that drink.

On 24/03/2020 at 17:54, Thor said:

Just having my first glass of the Lidl Highland ... it's not shit, but I won't be buying it again. 

edit: In fairness, this is from a neck pour, maybe I'm being unfair. It does have pleasant finish at least.

Nope. It actually is shit, to my palate at least. For me it has the horrid combination of tasting like it's been watered down, and having far too much alcohol burn for something that's only 40% proof. It's a rubbish whisky, I'll keep it to one side and use in cocktails. 

• 1 month later...

On the recommendation of a workmate, I bought myself a bottle of FEW bourbon the other day.

few.thumb.jpg.242dad8319aa2723f55bba1e00dbc79a.jpg

It's got a genuinely unique taste as far as bourbons go. Kind of almost... er... Christmassy in a way? Definite warming spice kind of flavour with a hint of cloves. Really, really like it.

I've also sampled Eagle Rare and 1792 recently. Liked Eagle Rare a lot and it's a reasonable price (about £25 - £30). 1792 was alright but I don't feel it warranted being in the price bracket it is (£40ish) - a feeling that has only deepened by having the FEW, which is in the same range.

Oh, and belated I know, but I always swear by a bottle of standard Buffalo Trace for most cocktails. Definitely my favourite of the lower-priced bourbons :)

• Upvote 1
On 28/02/2020 at 14:42, Skull Commander said:

Whisky is such a difficult thing to recommend with everyone having very different tastes.  I love Laphroaig and Lagavulin, and based on this a friend recommendation Caol Ila.

I saw a 12 year old bottle at a good price and  bought it and while it's a decent enough whisky it doesn't do a lot for me. I'm distinctly underwhelmed and mildly disappointed, yet my friend still swears it's the best. 

This is me too.

Laphroig 10 is my go to.  The cask strength isn't as good but I wouldn't complain, the NAS Select is a pale imitation. 

Lagavulin 16 is my wife's go to and it's lovely too, as is the Game Of Thrones one actually (9 year?).

Caol Ila... Nope. Really didn't do it for me and at close to the Laga16 in cost I felt short changed :D

Bunnahabhain on the other hand, I really enjoyed, so, with the risk of it being another underwhelming proposition, maybe I'd recommend it if you see a cheap bottle ;)

As for bargain whisky, I keep going back to the Ardmore Legacy.  At £18-20 a bottle, I personally can't complain.

• Upvote 1
On 28/05/2020 at 14:21, kiroquai said:

Oh, and belated I know, but I always swear by a bottle of standard Buffalo Trace for most cocktails. Definitely my favourite of the lower-priced bourbons :)

Heh, I bought a bottle just the day before your post for that very purpose due to it being on offer in Sainsbury for just £18, and it's perfect Old Fashioned fodder. :)

1 hour ago, Freeman said:

Bunnahabhain on the other hand, I really enjoyed, so, with the risk of it being another underwhelming proposition, maybe I'd recommend it if you see a cheap bottle ;)

I actually was gifted a bottle of Bunnahabhain a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. 

Been drinking entirely too much whisky during lockdown, but the money I've saved in diesel (which didn't go well in cocktails) has enabled me to buy a few more expensive bottles than I would normally buy.

Best of these has been the Arran Bodega Sherry Cask, which was about £60 and comes in at 55.8%. I absolutely love it - more than the A'bunadh which is now stupidly priced. Another Arran, the Quarter Cask, is about £50 and a similar strength but is far lighter and more floral.  I also treated myself to another bottle of Uigeadail which never fails to impress.

Also got a bottle of Balvenie 14yo Caribbean Cask for £42 and although it's not a cask strength (boo!) It's very, very nice.

Also been getting into Rye as well - both the Bulleit and the JB varieties are lovely.

• Upvote 1

Polished off the last of my Highland Park, and am now progressing through a bottle of Caol Ila. It's doing the job - kind of medium peated, so you get the smokiness but not the fire-in-a-welly-boot-factory TCP thing. This makes it an easier drinker, but perhaps less distinctive as a result.

Old Pultney lined up next, but I'd imagine it'll take me a few months to get there - most nights I'm too knackered for a dram.

Currently turning into Ron Swanson after a mate bought me some Lagavulin 16 for my birthday. Not usually into the Islay single malts, often too medicinal for me, but this is a lovely drop.

• Upvote 2
  • 2 months later...
On 28/03/2020 at 14:38, Thor said:

Nope. It actually is shit, to my palate at least. For me it has the horrid combination of tasting like it's been watered down, and having far too much alcohol burn for something that's only 40% proof. It's a rubbish whisky, I'll keep it to one side and use in cocktails. 

Yeah I think I came to this conclusion! Seemed to get worse as it became more familiar. The Speyside is still decent though.

Had an Auchentoshan this weekend, just the american oak but it was nice. Anyone had the 12 year?

• Upvote 1
On 28/05/2020 at 14:21, kiroquai said:

On the recommendation of a workmate, I bought myself a bottle of FEW bourbon the other day.

So where did you buy this from? Wouldn't mind trying an alternative to Bulleit or Woodford.