Jump to content
rllmuk
Strawp

Recommend Me A Whisky

Recommended Posts

The JD single barrel selections are normally pretty good, especially if you can get them at barrel proof strength.

 

(my tastes in bourbon tend to run to Four Roses, Wild Turkey, and Heaven Hill, but in a pinch, JD Single Barrel Select will do ;))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just want to say that Lidl's Ben Bracken Speyside is an unbelievable single malt for £17. So good. I love a nice whisky but can rarely justify buying a bottle of something good. That's as nice to me as whiskies as costing two or three times as much. 

 

The Internet seems to think its a rebadged Tamnavulin which I have never tasted. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/06/2019 at 11:52, Alexlotl said:

I see the GlenDronach 15 is back (yay!) but now costs £60 a bottle (boo!).

 

My wife bought me a bottle of this for Christmas and I managed to make it last for three months or so. Took some discipline, because it was bloody lovely.

 

I don't know if it's worth roughly double my usual whisky spend - i.e. whatever single malt with age statement is on offer in Sainsbury's - but I'm pretty sure it was the best I've tried so far (having only really been into whisky for a few years).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worth keeping an eye out for the little Glendronach gift packs they do at Christmas, with shorties of the 10, 12 and 15 (from memory). After Christmas, Sainsbury’s apply absolutely absurd discounts to them to get their shelf space back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/07/2019 at 20:33, deerokus said:

I just want to say that Lidl's Ben Bracken Speyside is an unbelievable single malt for £17. So good. I love a nice whisky but can rarely justify buying a bottle of something good. That's as nice to me as whiskies as costing two or three times as much. 

 

The Internet seems to think its a rebadged Tamnavulin which I have never tasted. 

 

Oh, that’s interesting. I’ve recently taken a shine to Tamnavulin, after it being on offer in multiple supermarkets. It’s a decent dram.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10 June 2019 at 15:59, Peter St John said:

The JD single barrel selections are normally pretty good, especially if you can get them at barrel proof strength.

 

(my tastes in bourbon tend to run to Four Roses, Wild Turkey, and Heaven Hill, but in a pinch, JD Single Barrel Select will do ;))

 

Bulleit is showing up in more places and is pretty decent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, smac said:

 

Bulleit is showing up in more places and is pretty decent.

 

I tend to avoid Bulleit due to the long-running saga detailed here:https://neatpour.com/2019/07/exclusive-hollis-b-worth-talks-about-bulleit-diageo-split/  but it's definitely decent for the price! (and for a long time it was contracted-distilled by Four Roses, so if you like Bulleit, there's a good chance you'll enjoy any Four Roses bourbon too).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.