Battlestar Galactica - American series viewers

Venice Cull

WTF. Has everybody been a sleep under a rock. Why has this not been mentioned, I'm usually way behing you guys. ANYWAY. I grabbed the 4x01 last night of the NG's and had a watch. Quality was typically crap (as per the other battlestar US TV Rips). But the episode itself was good, GOOD. Not OMG FUCKING BATTLESTARS FALLING THROUGH ATMOSPHERES good, but good nonetheless.

I won't mention anything for fear of spoilers, but one thing that bugged me was that it DIDN'T answer questions I was expecting.

Just to clarify: you're talking about the actual first episode of Season Four and not just Razor?

I call shenanigans. It's not up in any of the usual places and hasn't been on TV, so how can it be a TV rip?

WTF. Has everybody been a sleep under a rock. Why has this not been mentioned, I'm usually way behing you guys. ANYWAY. I grabbed the 4x01 last night of the NG's and had a watch. Quality was typically crap (as per the other battlestar US TV Rips). But the episode itself was good, GOOD. Not OMG FUCKING BATTLESTARS FALLING THROUGH ATMOSPHERES good, but good nonetheless.

I won't mention anything for fear of spoilers, but one thing that bugged me was that it DIDN'T answer questions I was expecting.

N00B PWNED LOL ect... :lol:

I bought Razor on DVD in the week, and watched it today. Having only watched the telly rip before, the DVD version is way, way, way better. Not just because of the lovely 5.1, but also because the additions make the piece as a whole a lot stronger. Young Adama FTW.

Seems like the majority of the FX are done in-house these days, saving the show lots of money. ("BSG in-house visual FX team", as they're called in the credits.) Gary Hutzel (TNG, DS9, Galactica) started building up his own FX team in Season Two. I wonder how many guys he stole from Zoic, who did most of the work on the miniseries and Season One. They also work with a team called Atmosphere, and a couple of others.

I'm confused... when do you see anybody being flown in a raider in Razor?

There's a Cain flashback on the DVD while she's giving her speech about being razors. Last day of the First Cylon war on Tauron, her little sister Lucy falls behind and she just leaves her and hides nearby. Some Centurions close in on her sister then you see Cain cowering inside a shed as another Centurion walks past. Then the war suddenly ends, she runs to where Lucy was but instead of a corpse, there's nothing there at all. She looks up and sees a Raider ascending into the sky, the implication being they kidnapped her sister as opposed to just shooting the shit out of her on the spot.

Have the writers got back on with finishing the last season yet then ?

The strike isn't over. So no. Although the writers have had so long to think and talk about the remaining 10 unfilmed episodes that I'm expecting them to be beyond ace when production finally resumes.

Razor was better, and I'm hoping the fact that they now know how many episodes are left means they won't inflict any filler on us.

If they can keep season 4 tight, then BSG can still just, just about make it into the realm of the future-classic.

The third season pulled it back together with the last few episodes (after admittedly something like an 8-episode slump) and Razor was good.

So yes?

Pulled it back together? How? The whole Starbuck thing was totally shit and out of nowhere, the Final Five was possibly the dullest plot thread in the history of television, and the huge reveal at the end had me thinking that the writers were just having a bit of a laugh down the pub when they wrote it.

Add to that the sheer, utter hellish boredom of everything post-episode 5 (bar the boxing episode), and you have an utter abortion of a season.

Pulled it back together? How? The whole Starbuck thing was totally shit and out of nowhere, the Final Five was possibly the dullest plot thread in the history of television, and the huge reveal at the end had me thinking that the writers were just having a bit of a laugh down the pub when they wrote it.

Add to that the sheer, utter hellish boredom of everything post-episode 5 (bar the boxing episode), and you have an utter abortion of a season.

You didn't expect Starbuck to come back? It might as well have been signposted in BIG neon letters.

But that's the thing. It was obvious they were going to bring her back.

But her sudden emo-kill-self phase was totally out of the blue, with nothing really leading up to it.

It's the characters that suffered the most in season 3. Once they got back into space, they became totally boring as hell to watch.

Aside form the fact that when BSG is good, it's so very, very good, I think the anticipation for the fact it is the final season. Things must be resolved. I remain unsure about the end of last season (though I found a lot of the filler preceding it to be perfectly watchable, if not ideal) but it has scattered the pieces somewhat. How is it going to pan out? Where will the characters end up? Can they craft a satisfying ending?