IGNORED

Battlestar Galactica - American series viewers

Venice Cull

Holy fucking shit. What an episode. My brain is absolutely fucking broken.

Highlights:

Galen, as always - his laugh at the idea of shagging Tory, and his kick-ass Cheifing in his lunch breaks from unravelling the mystery of his own god-damn existence.

Bill getting all drunk and realising that he should stop being a dick about Cylon tech, seeing as they're friends now and all, and that the Galactica's more important than his pride.

Tigh's expectant father acting: more happiness in half a minute than we've seen from him ever!

Sam's crazy-brain-damaged-prophet acting was excellent and helped the ten tablespoons of insane exposition go down a little better.

Oh, and John Motherfrakking Hodgman the brain surgeon!

We're all prepped for the "final act" then. I love that this show can pack as much stuff into half of half of a season as most other dramas can into a whole one. I'm watching Lost and Heroes and I love them in their own way, but if you compare them to BSG the amount of filler, stupid dialogue and pointless plot developments is a bit depressing.

I'm starting to think that "Daniel" is Starbuck. Sort of. Didn't Ellen say Cavil messed with Daniel's DNA prior to ressurection? I might have completely missunderstood, but it sounds like Daniel was changed in some way from Ellen's original design. The main thing though was that Daniel was apparently an artist, and, well, Starbuck's been known to dabble in such things.

My thoughts precisely. Thanks to Cavil's genetic meddling, he became a she. Starbuck is a tomboy artist who's been killed and miraculously brought back to life. What further evidence does one need?

:)

Further speculation ahoy! Of the eight new cylons, Daniel/Kara was the only one to recieve knowledge of Earth's location as he/she was Ellen's favourite.

That episode was fantastic and the intro was especially epic.

I thought that when the time came, the explanation of everything would be a bit of a letdown, but nothing could be further from the truth.

Bill getting all drunk and realising that he should stop being a dick about Cylon tech, seeing as they're friends now and all, and that the Galactica's more important than his pride.

Pride? Surely it was just because of that little rebellion they had. Two thirds of the fleet sided against Adama using Cylon tech, and he probably doesn't want to stir shit up again.

Oddly, there was probably more hard SF in that one episode than most of the rest of the series combined

with all the exposition stuff revealed in Anders recovered memories and Ellen's exposition to Cavil. In fact, the treatment of self-aware machines by humanity and the consequences of ill-treatment are a trope of hard SF and also have figured into popular culture - in Terminator, the explanation given in T2 indicates that Skynet was acting in self-defence as the military tried to turn it off but it wanted to live. Hell, the fundamental narrative underpinning that idea is a standard part of human mythology and legend with, for example, the ancient Greek mythic in which the Titans were over-thrown and cast-down by the Olympians and hinting at humans challenging the Olympians along with the Gods always being interested and concerned in human affairs and which the show hit on in the mini-series with Six telling Baltar about humanities children returning to overthrow their parents

Even more bizarrely

with the way they're tying everything up, if you were unaware that Moore et al have been making it up as they go along then it would almost look as if the Cylons did have a plan all along - Ellen and the rest of the final five attempting a genuine rapprochement and reconciliation between humanity and the cylons with Cavil planning to demonstrate the worthlessness of humanity to his 'God' (notice that Cavil rejects the concept of the One True God but is intent on demonstrating how right he is to his creator) and everything from the holocaust on through being part of his plan.

Moore's proven before that he's good at that though - he did the same thing with DS9.

So, now we know where the show is going with its final act with just a few things that need tying up -

I think it's more likely than Daniel is Kara's father rather than Kara being a screwed-up version of Daniel, after all we have seen Kara's mother in the show before which would suggest she was born but her being a hybrid would explain why she could be resurrected particularly if she got to Earth and was consequently able to access whatever resurrection technology that Ellen et al had developed to survive the holocaust there

Pride? Surely it was just because of that little rebellion they had. Two thirds of the fleet sided against Adama using Cylon tech, and he probably doesn't want to stir shit up again.

Well, I might be wrong, but it seemed to me like quite a personal thing to Adama, like he was fine with the uneasy alliance but

Cylon-Galactica

would be a step too far. That's the vibe I got from Olmos. (Plus, he's just beaten the rebellion and shot the fuck out of its leaders, I couldn't see anyone trying it again soon.)

Well, I might be wrong, but it seemed to me like quite a personal thing to Adama, like he was fine with the uneasy alliance but

Cylon-Galactica

would be a step too far. That's the vibe I got from Olmos. (Plus, he's just beaten the rebellion and shot the fuck out of its leaders, I couldn't see anyone trying it again soon.)

I agree it does come across like that in that epsiode, but that's quite a change of heart if so. A couple of episodes before that he was jumping at the gun to put cylon technology in every ship in the fleet, and getting the cylons to install it all.

I like how he reacted when the glowy stuff showed the cracks up.

It's like he'd just been told his little girl had been hit by a car.

I felt really sad. Galactica has become it's own character over the years and to see the old girl on her last legs was far more emotional than a lot of the "emotional" scenes in the series.

Luckily the Chief knows a good plastic surgeon.

smashing

how many survivors were there when season 1 episode 1 started

it will be a shame for this to finish, but maybe why its so good this season is the fact the writers are giving us what we should have got around 2 seasons ago

the last episode actually answered my question

50,298 and that doesnt include the Pegasus

Even more bizarrely with the way they're tying everything up,

if you were unaware that Moore et al have been making it up as they go along then it would almost look as if the Cylons did have a plan all along - Ellen and the rest of the final five attempting a genuine rapprochement and reconciliation between humanity and the cylons with Cavil planning to demonstrate the worthlessness of humanity to his 'God' (notice that Cavil rejects the concept of the One True God but is intent on demonstrating how right he is to his creator) and everything from the holocaust on through being part of his plan.

Moore's proven before that he's good at that though - he did the same thing with DS9.

I imagine that would get expanded on in that 'The Plan' retelling of the miniseries from the Cylon point of view, I guess it's possible to have the overarching narrative fully plotted out, and leave room for the inter character drama and character revelations that make up the bulk of BSG.

nothing to add, other than a huge grin.

ps. on the full-circle homage front

Benedicts Starbuck joined the angels on the ship of light after saving one of them and her child in a Galactica 80" episode

Did he? Admittedly I've not seen Galactica 80 since it was shown on telly when I was a kid, but I thought he was pretty much marooned on that planet forever; sacrificing himself so that she could get away. I remember him having some kind of visitation from the angels, but thought they just left left him there. I remember being rather sad at the time :lol: I like your idea much better :(

Isn't it a horrible, massive co-incidence that all the final 5 survived the cylon attack on humanity in the miniseries, though. Or am I missing something here?

I think there's the impication that 'John' set it up to make sure that Ellen was on the transport and Anders survived in the resistance so i guess he could have set up the fake memories for the others to increase their chances or something

Hmmm, looking at it again, it's implied Cavil intended for them to die in the attacks then resurrect right after so he could rub it all in the their faces, he had no part in their survival. It is indeed a massive co-incidence that they all survived but I believe that is the point - there is a force, be it the Lords of Kobol, the 'one true God', fate, whatever you want to call it, that is guiding everyone (the Five included) a particular destiny. It sent the Five visions on Earth, it gave Baltar and Kara their visions, it's ensured Galactica has survived through 50,000 catastrophies since the the colonies were destroyed.

It's motherfuckin' God, man.

Information overload! Fascinating stuff really.

So now Sam's braindead does that mean if he dies now he'll resurrect as a vegetable?

Can't see how it makes sense about Starbucks being a 7... she died in orbit then resurrected instantly, not on a base-ship but in an identical Viper? No.

There is no resurrection anymore.

Surely

Daniel is blatantly Baltar - Anders said each of the final five had a premonition about the holocaust on Earth as each of them saw a man or woman warning them, which nobody else could - he even said something about thinking they had a chip in their head, when they didn't - which explain's the visions of Six Baltar's been having since the start of the series

Playing it safe with the spoiler tags there.

There is no resurrection anymore.

But Starbucks!!!

What happened to the kill switch that someone activated in Boomer at the end of the first series anyway (when she shot Adama)? Who made her do that and why don't they do it again?

Didn't we see some artistic kit in Lampkin's room when he was discussing the presidency with Lee?

I think that's a problem with shows that attempt a story arc over several seasons. Boomer's activation seems utterly pointless and doesn't even make any sense considering everyone was supposed to have died in the first attacks. They place a cylon in active duty on an old Battlestar that should have been destroyed before the activation even kicked in? Seemed like a big event at the time, "ooh, they have a plan", but it just seems stupid now.

Surely

Daniel is blatantly Baltar - Anders said each of the final five had a premonition about the holocaust on Earth as each of them saw a man or woman warning them, which nobody else could - he even said something about thinking they had a chip in their head, when they didn't - which explain's the visions of Six Baltar's been having since the start of the series

Playing it safe with the spoiler tags there.

I think speculation is fair game anyway, but spoiler tags aren’t really required now that the episode has been aired.

Interesting idea, but I think it would be a stretch to chuck out another Cylon at this point – they’ve been saying there are twelve Cylon models for five or six years now, for them to say “actually, there are thirteen” would be a bit of a piss-take. Surely they only introduced Daniel to retcon the gap in the numbering of the Cylons? That said, they do need to explain head Six before the series ends, and it would be quite elegant if they managed to explain a discrepancy and explain a long-running mystery with the same plotline.

It’s strange that Baltar’s been such a marginal presence in this series so far, given how central he was to the show in previous series – especially series 3. His character kind of melted into the background after his trial, when he was rescued by his tribe of adoring women, and they’ve not really done anything with him since then. I assume (and hope) he’ll be brought back centre-stage in the next few episodes, he was always the most interesting character for me, and he really has done bugger all so far. It looked like something amazing was going to happen when he was held up by his Head Six early on – did anything come of that?