IGNORED

Battlestar Galactica - American series viewers

Venice Cull

I think I read somewhere that Ron Moore admitted on a podcast head Six holding up Baltar was just an accident in filming which slipped through, and it wasn't planned at all.

Baltar must come centre stage soon though. It feels like they're ticking off plot resolutions to give the final episodes a bit more room to breathe.

I think I read somewhere that Ron Moore admitted on a podcast head Six holding up Baltar was just an accident in filming which slipped through, and it wasn't planned at all.

Baltar must come centre stage soon though. It feels like they're ticking off plot resolutions to give the final episodes a bit more room to breathe.

Really? Maybe I’m remembering it wrong, but that whole scene seemed to be focused on an apparent miracle – Baltar spontaneously being lifted from the ground by Six, with the appropriate awed response from the watching crowd. Seems like a hell of an accident.

Oh, I'm probably thinking of something else then. The bit I referred to was when Baltar was being beaten up outside of his religious refuge and she kind of helped him up (or he fell into her). She was trying to persuade him to fulfil his messiah role and be less of a douchebag.

Alot of the first half of series four is a blur though to be honest - them splitting it up threw me right out of whack.

Really? Maybe I’m remembering it wrong, but that whole scene seemed to be focused on an apparent miracle – Baltar spontaneously being lifted from the ground by Six, with the appropriate awed response from the watching crowd. Seems like a hell of an accident.

Yeah, I agree. There's a well known word used for situations like this. It starts with a "B", ends with a "t", and it stinks.

Oh, I'm probably thinking of something else then. The bit I referred to was when Baltar was being beaten up outside of his religious refuge and she kind of helped him up (or he fell into her). She was trying to persuade him to fulfil his messiah role and be less of a douchebag.

Alot of the first half of series four is a blur though to be honest - them splitting it up threw me right out of whack.

That’s the bit I meant, but to be honest I can barely remember what happened. I was going off my dim recollections and the plot summary from Wikipedia. I’m pretty sure there was a bit where Baltar is (apparently) lifted from the floor by some unseen force, and it strikes me as something that would have to be specially shot – I don’t see how this could have been an accident, but I’d really have to watch it again before I go round to Ron Moore’s house and throw stones at him.

I'm totally confused now.

It's just horseshit, really. They've obviously put an insane amount of thought into how they can explain away a lot of stuff, but I never felt my hand going to my mouth in an expression of complete shock. They'll never explain Tigh's bad wig at the start of season 2.

I’m pretty sure there was a bit where Baltar is (apparently) lifted from the floor by some unseen force, and it strikes me as something that would have to be specially shot – I don’t see how this could have been an accident, but I’d really have to watch it again before I go round to Ron Moore’s house and throw stones at him.

The writers/producers don't visit the set that much as they're busy with the huge amount of work they have to do, so the filming of the episodes is mostly left to the director and the crew (who have, of course, been briefed in any number of production meetings about what they're meant to film, so supervision isn't necessary).

So on this occasion the scene was written a certain way, but the director went much further than intended in the way Baltar stood up. It wasn't written as Head Six essentially manipulating Baltar's movement as though he was a puppet, but that's how it was shot. Ron Moore wasn't happy with it, but it was too late to reshoot the scene so it stayed in as it was.

So....the final 5 were cylons, who got killed by their own cylons, but then resurrected and went back to warn the humans (who are basically the same as the final 5 cylons in every way, from what I can tell) about their cylons, but their cylon war had already started, but the final 5 wanted to avert this and in order to do this they made more cylons that were basically the same sort of cylon as the final 5 cylons, only slightly different, so that these new cylons would persuade the robo-cylons that the cylons weren't evil after all, but then because one of the new cylons was a bit nutty he cast out the old cylons and wiped their memories. And they did all this why, sorry?

I wish we could just go back to adama and tigh shouting all the time.

So....the final 5 were cylons, who got killed by their own cylons, but then resurrected and went back to warn the humans (who are basically the same as the final 5 cylons in every way, from what I can tell) about their cylons, but their cylon war had already started, but the final 5 wanted to avert this and in order to do this they made more cylons that were basically the same sort of cylon as the final 5 cylons, only slightly different, so that these new cylons would persuade the robo-cylons that the cylons weren't evil after all, but then because one of the new cylons was a bit nutty he cast out the old cylons and wiped their memories. And they did all this why, sorry?

I wish we could just go back to adama and tigh shouting all the time.

You've spotted it haven't you, the sense that "this plot is bollocks" was the most frequently heard phrase amongst the writers who were high on every known drug and fornicating at the same time as scripting.

What happened to the kill switch that someone activated in Boomer at the end of the first series anyway (when she shot Adama)? Who made her do that and why don't they do it again?

It was never revealed what the trigger was, either for the destruction of Galactica's water supply or for her attempt on Adama's life, but she didn't get the chance to do anything else because she was shot dead and ended up back on Caprica.

I think that's a problem with shows that attempt a story arc over several seasons. Boomer's activation seems utterly pointless and doesn't even make any sense considering everyone was supposed to have died in the first attacks. They place a cylon in active duty on an old Battlestar that should have been destroyed before the activation even kicked in? Seemed like a big event at the time, "ooh, they have a plan", but it just seems stupid now.

But surely that makes perfect sense. She's there as a backup plan just in case the ship did escape the holocaust. I'm speculating here but there were probably cylons positioned throughout the fleet. There was one on Pegasus and there was a second one on Galactica posing as the PR guy presumably so he could kill the president had he decided to show up that day.

But surely that makes perfect sense. She's there as a backup plan just in case the ship did escape the holocaust. I'm speculating here but there were probably cylons positioned throughout the fleet. There was one on Pegasus and there was a second one on Galactica posing as the PR guy presumably so he could kill the president had he decided to show up that day.

What, so they put a cylon model on active duty on every battlestar in the fleet?

The plan's just to make them suffer isn't it?

Erm, no, it was to kill them all.

"The humans are dead. It had to be done, so that we could have fun."

What, so they put a cylon model on active duty on every battlestar in the fleet?

I wouldn't bet against there being a Six, or an eight or a Leoben or whoever on board most of the ships in the fleet. They're machines, so would probably plan for all eventualities. There was the nukes, the virus and probably covert operatives within the fleet to take down the captains should they be needed. Wasn't the six in Razor the captain's lover? I'm pretty sure she would have turned on her.

A better back-up plan would be to send a dozen basestars in and kill everyone remaining, surely?

Well, you'd need someone on board the fleeing battlestar to notify the cylons of the ship's position, but yes, you're right. :angry:

Maybe not every single one. Like I said, I'm speculating, but they could have put one on every ship that hadn't been updated with Gaius's awesome new virus-ridden software. Cavil strikes me as the sort of fellow who would have plenty of contingency plans in place.

A better back-up plan would be to send a dozen basestars in and kill everyone remaining, surely?

There were loads of Basestars around the colonial planets, it makes sense that the infiltrators were the contingency in case exactly what happened with Galactica and Pegasus happened. I would imagine that more would be like the guy who was infiltrated in the press (the one they left behind on the space station) and the Pegasus six who was working on the upgrades and would likely be on an un-upgraded Battlestar when the attack occurred.

So am I the only one hoping that Daniel is played by Scott Bakula...? :ph34r:

which is ANOTHER homage. From a certain point of view.

Originally Galactica 80 was supposed to have LOADS of time-travel in it, but budget restraints stopped them

Bellisario (who was working with Glen A. Larson) eventually created... Quantum Leap

and of course, both Galactica 80 AND Enterprise (starring S.Bakula) featured Nazis.