rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Venice Cull

Battlestar Galactica - American series viewers

After having problems with the loaned disc of the end of S2 I've had to DL the last 6 episodes :P

However only 3 left now like SeanR. Finished watching Sacrifice last night and they killed Billy.

Anyway I should be up to speed by the weekend allowing me to finally join in with Meh usual mehness :unsure:

So without Spoilers is the start of S3 any good then?

It's not good. It's fucking amazing.

After having problems with the loaned disc of the end of S2 I've had to DL the last 6 episodes :P

However only 3 left now like SeanR. Finished watching Sacrifice last night and they killed Billy.

Anyway I should be up to speed by the weekend allowing me to finally join in with Meh usual mehness :unsure:

I was all like, no, not BILLY!!! :(

After having problems with the loaned disc of the end of S2 I've had to DL the last 6 episodes :)

Anyway I should be up to speed by the weekend allowing me to finally join in with Meh usual mehness :)

It's brilliant.

Watched it today. I really wanted the little Mini-Starbuck to die.

Apart from that, excellent stuff.

Apart from that, excellent stuff.

That crossed my mind. Or well, for her to not care when the kid fell.

Harsh, dude :) I was kinda expecting Starbuck to kill the girl though, considering that infanticide seems to be some kind of ongoing theme throughout the series.

Did she fall though? I thought maybe she was intentionally pushed, since the cylons know Kara had an abusive mother and perhaps believed that she would do anything to avoid following in her mother's footsteps and harming her own kid. The cylons certainly seem to like mind games, what with the prison looking like a cleaner, tidier version of Starbuck's flat back on Caprica.

Come on, this is Starbuck we're talking about here - she smokes cigars, boozes and gambles, ain't no WAY she's getting into bed with a toaster :)

That hand-squeeze is clearly a ploy that will result in escape and a massive explosion, mark my words.

Whoever BSG wasn't meant to be mirroring real life events must be feeling a bit daft now. They may as well have called it Battle Star Middle East.

Tigh is brilliantly grizzled. The sooner he gets his full eyepatch the better.

Whoever BSG wasn't meant to be mirroring real life events must be feeling a bit daft now. They may as well have called it Battle Star Middle East.

Tigh is brilliantly grizzled. The sooner he gets his full eyepatch the better.

I've thought from the start that the new BSG has been attempting to comment on current socio-political events - at first I thought it was very successful in a way that no other show I've seen has been able to match, now I think it's virtually groundbreaking in this regard.

You're right. I really admire it for grasping the bull by the horns.

I just couldn't believe the comments earlier in this thread about the show not being an allegory for the Iraq or even Israel.

You're right. I really admire it for grasping the bull by the horns.

I just couldn't believe the comments earlier in this thread about the show not being an allegory for the Iraq or even Israel.

It isn't. It really really isn't. It's taking characters and pulling a bit of Iraq, a bit of WW2 France, a bit of Israel-Palestine, a bit of it's own stuff thrown in, and other things from here and there and seeing where they go. From that viewers can judge for themselves whether or not the characters are right or wrong, without the baggage of the real world and all it entails.

It's taking current issues, throwing them out, twisting them and turning them on their head and asking the viewer to question them. It isn't anything so crude as allegory or commenting events.

It isn't. It really really isn't. It's taking characters and pulling a bit of Iraq, a bit of WW2 France, a bit of Israel-Palestine, a bit of it's own stuff thrown in, and other things from here and there and seeing where they go. From that viewers can judge for themselves whether or not the characters are right or wrong, without the baggage of the real world and all it entails.

It's taking current issues, throwing them out, twisting them and turning them on their head and asking the viewer to question them. It isn't anything so crude as allegory or commenting events.

Yeah, it's hard to see it as entirely allegorical, as beyond the rather topical issue of terrorism, there's little else in there to suggest such direct parrallels. It's certainly dealing with relevant modern day issues, but it's hardly Iraq in Space.

It's taking current issues, throwing them out, twisting them and turning them on their head and asking the viewer to question them.

...like some kind of...allegory? You seem to have disagreed with me by agreeing with me.

It isn't anything so crude as allegory or commenting events.

Why is creating an allegory or commenting on current events (which in the previous paragraph you've seemed to concede) crude?

Of course BSG isn't a direct parallel of Iraq, with everyone in perfectly defined roles mirroring real life counterparts. That would be silly. But seriously, do you think BSG would have gone down this route if the Middle East wasn't in the news every day?

Ron Moore has certainly made it clear in his podcasts that he's not exactly a fan of President Bush's foreign policy.

Battlestar' season opener wins for Sci Fi

Thursday, October 12 2006, 10:42 BST - by James Welsh

Battlestar Galactica's third season opener was the most-watched show on cable in America on Friday night.

Preliminary numbers from Nielsen Media Research indicate that the episode averaged 2.2m viewers in total from 9pm-11pm, with 1.4m of those viewers in the adults 18-49 demographic.

However, the total viewers number is down from that achieved by the series' second season opener last year, which averaged 3.1m viewers.

Rumours are currently circulating that Sci Fi's parent company, NBC, is considering finding room on its schedule for Battlestar. However, those rumours are being officially denied by the network at this stage.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds38055.html

Galactica getting a network slot for repeats would be great!

Galactica getting a network slot for repeats would be great!

Absolutely, as they would show it in HD, and hopefully a few days after scifi show it.

BSG in HD is a thing of wonder.

Was Day 380 the one where Boomer was shot and downloaded? That was a cracking way to open an episode.

EDIT: And where is Cassidy up to now? I need an update!

Anyway, Re: Those viewing figures.

They may be good for Sci-Fi, but they're depressingly low in comparison to other big name shows aren't they? Hopefully the NBC rumours turn out to have some substance.

The same NBC rumour appeared for season 1 and again for season 2. So I'll believe it when I see it.

Was Day 380 the one where Boomer was shot and downloaded? That was a cracking way to open an episode.

Anyway, Re: Those viewing figures.

They may be good for Sci-Fi, but they're depressingly low in comparison to other big name shows aren't they? Hopefully the NBC rumours turn out to have some substance.

Day 380 was the day the cylons returned...

Well, finished S2 last night and fell utterly in love with the show following Ep18 Downloaded.

Amazing scenes on Caprica with Caprica 6 and Sharon "I shot Adama" Valerii.

Then the finale, well what can you say, a bold strong end to a pretty good season.

Now I'm away to finally catch up with you all in about 90 minutes time :D

Why is creating an allegory or commenting on current events (which in the previous paragraph you've seemed to concede) crude?

Allegory to me usually implies something more direct, like Animal Farm say. There are characters and you can connect them up with people in the real world, though it's not exact or perfect. And allegories are typically trying to make some kind of point.

BSG is at something more subtle. You couldn't directly join up any dots in the real world, or any situations exactly. It is teasing out the issues presented by the real world and examining them in different ways. And it is up to the viewer to judge the rightness of actions, in the most part.

Of course BSG isn't a direct parallel of Iraq, with everyone in perfectly defined roles mirroring real life counterparts. That would be silly. But seriously, do you think BSG would have gone down this route if the Middle East wasn't in the news every day?

No, I don't. It is undoubtedly a product of its time. But I think it is more that the Middle East situation has created an interest in certain issues that this show was always going to have a go at anyway. It's informed by the situation and not dictated by it.

Hang on, I've already said:

Of course BSG isn't a direct parallel of Iraq, with everyone in perfectly defined roles mirroring real life counterparts. That would be silly

I never claimed BSG is like Animal Farm's direct parallel of the rise of the Soviet Union. Although that argument could be made quite easily. Why it's crude or distasteful though, I'm not sure.

You're saying BSG isn't allegorical because it doesn't offer an easy conclusion - but Kubrick's 2001 is a fine example of science fiction metaphor which also doesn't offer easy answers and leaves many conclusions for the viewer to decide.

I also totally agree with your last statement. I've never thought otherwise.

Well, the critics seemed to have enjoyed it:

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/shows/battles...alacticaseason3

Well, not ALL of them...

ource: Sci Fi Weekly

I was very disappointed by the season premiere of Battlestar Galactica. I still found the production values and acting to be excellent and the overarching storyline to be interesting. What really appalled me was that the writers chose to be "relevant" and try to make a highly spurious equation of moral equivalency between the Galactica Colonials and the insurgency in Iraq and Palestinian suicide bombers.

The writers would have us believe that the Colonials (in the webisodes) hide weapons in temples and adopt suicide bombing tactics because they have no other choice. Also, the writers would have us believe that the Colonials, who are a proxy for the U.S. and Western civilization, are really morally equivalent with the Iraqi insurgents who set off car bombs in market squares and with Palestinian suicide bombers who blow themselves up on buses and in crowded pizza parlours.

This type of moral equivalency argument is misleading, false and highly dangerous. So I suppose the Battlestar Galactica writers would have us believe that the 9/11 hijackers really had "no choice" but to fly airliners into the World Trade Centre and the Pentagon. Of course, in reality, the 9/11 hijackers were well-educated, middle-class Arabs who bought into a twisted interpretation of Islam that values death more than it does life. Likewise, Palestinian suicide bombers are indoctrinated from an early age that Jews are "descended from pigs and monkeys." If they are poor and face dismal circumstances in life it is not the fault of the Israelis, but more the fault of their corrupt leaders, such as Yasser Arafat, who made himself a multimillionaire while his people starved.

The writers also would have us think that the Cylons' torturing of Col. Tigh and other prisoners was a statement about how the U.S. is "torturing" prisoners at Guantanamo Bay and elsewhere. Again, this is misleading and false. The absolute worst form of coercive interrogation that has been alleged against the U.S. is waterboarding, where cellophane is placed over the prisoner's face, he is inverted and water poured over his face. It is a mental trick in which the the mind tells the person he is drowning and of course it is unpleasant.

However, does it compare with Sadam Hussein's torture chambers, where prisoners' hands were cut off, where they were thrown off roofs of buildings, where living people were fed through wood chippers? Does it compare with Iraqi insurgents who have captured U.S. soldiers and torn out their eyes and genitals? No ... no it doesn't. The type of moral equivalency that people such as the Battlestar Galactica writers would have us buy into is dangerous because it is false. Our society, which celebrates life, is superior to that interpretation of Islam, which celebrates death.

We must be resolved to defeat those Islamic fascists who celebrate death just as we were resolved defeat Nazi fascism and that of Imperial Japan in World War II. If the American media in World War II had been run by people such as those who put out the twisted logic in the Battlestar Galactica premiere, then, perhaps, we might not have had the will to defeat Hitler and he could have gone forward with his extermination of Jews and other "non-Aryans."

I would urge SCI FI Channel viewers to be well-informed and to not buy into the misleading moral equivalency argument put forward in the Battlestar Galactica premiere, and I would urge the writers of that show to support the values of Western civilization and life over those of a culture which worships death.

William Farrand

I never claimed BSG is like Animal Farm's direct parallel of the rise of the Soviet Union. Although that argument could be made quite easily. Why it's crude or distasteful though, I'm not sure.

Not crude as in distasteful, crude as in unsubtle. And I was clarifying the point I was making.

You're saying BSG isn't allegorical because it doesn't offer an easy conclusion - but Kubrick's 2001 is a fine example of science fiction metaphor which also doesn't offer easy answers and leaves many conclusions for the viewer to decide.

No, I'm saying it's not allegorical because I don't think that is what it is trying to be. Dealing with real world issues doesn't necesarily make an allegory.

I've got the webisodes and the first two of S3 downstairs.

Alas tomorrow is a full programme of events that will keep me from watching :unsure: