Disappointed?

InsideOutBoy

I don’t mean this to turn into a Halo 2 sucks thread, but I certainly did have a few issues with the game (finished it on Thursday night). To be fair, the game is graphically amazing, has consistently fun and involving combat, a fantastic soundtrack, great atmosphere, an incredible multiplayer,

But, well, it’s no Halo 1. :D

My problems -

* The ending is pathetic. Sure, have a cliff-hanger ending, but at least have a climax and some kind of conclusion first.

* There are too many linear and claustrophobic levels. There is nothing with the freedom and size of the Silent Cartographer, Flawless Cowboy or the snowy area from Halo 1.

* The plot is generally weak, confusing, and a bit clichéd. There is little of the compelling mystery of the first game.

* The game focuses too much on the Covenant’s point of view, when the human struggle is actually more interesting and relatable.

* You spend too much time fighting the Flood, seemingly more than in Halo 1. Fighting the Flood is nowhere near as fulfilling as outwitting the Covenant.

* The later levels fall into the old trap of repeating similar areas over and over again, seemingly just to pad out the space between the 2 cutscenes a bit more.

* The whole of the final level and ‘boss fight’ are instantly forgettable.

* The game gets harder simply by throwing more and more enemies at you and spacing out the checkpoints a bit further.

* Sometimes the best strategy is to just run through the levels or hide, which is a bit underwhelming.

* The game completely ignores the characters and plot from the First Strike novel, despite the fact the book is supposedly a prequel to the game.

* The game fails to deliver on the premise and Earth War hype generated by the TV and E3 trailers.

How about you? Disappointed at all?

I've been thinking more about all this. Lots of people are mentioning the short length of the game, and the...er...abrupt ending.

This could mean that Halo 2 has had to be split into two parts, with a Halo 3 appearing sometime next year.

Remember that original EDGE preview of Halo2...where they had all those variants of warthogs and stuff.

I'm kinda thinking maybe this is going to come later on?

Bear in mind, I've not seen the ending yet, so this all might suck donkey balls...

Well when the ending does come you'll be waiting for an 'insert disc 2' screen to appear. But it never does.

Bungie basically need to make a sequel and fast. At the moment Halo 2 is a lot like the Matrix Reloaded. It raises a lot of questions, and if part 3 doesn't come soon - and doesn't blow everybody away - you can throw Halo on the scraphead with the Matrix trilogy I reckon.

The only problem is, I thought Bungie didn't want to make Halo 3. They certainly haven't got any plans to release a sequel in under 12 months... right?

Maybe Microsoft have got some incredible plan to release Halo 3 next Christmas, and that's why it took Bungie twice as long to make Halo 2 as Halo 1. But probably not. :D

I must admit in retrospect the standout levels of Halo 1 do seem more significant.

Maybe I need to crank up the difficulty. and it's all to close to the bone.

But your fellow marines don't seem as independent or intelligent .

Also I really prefer the out door levels.

I still despise the repetition of the flood, fucking boring to me.

Multiplayer mind, well no complaints there!!

I played Halo (H1) through last monday, in preparation for Halo2's release. (I had started playing it several times in the past, but never stayed with it to more than 1/2 way in.)

So playing and completing them both within the same week has been interesting.

For me the biggest differences were

1) H2 much better balanced and tuned - weapons(esp. reloads & melee), enemies (esp. flood), vehicle combat (warthog drivable!).

2) H2 had almost no "filler" content whereas H1 had excessive re-use of level sections and enemies. That's what they spent the 2 years creating!

3) Higher quality art - not just better textures and more polys, but better artistry throughout - cutscenes, landscapes, characters. Anims still a bit lacking tho :D

H1 certainly had a few spectacular levels, but H2 was top notch all the way through. The only thing worse was an even weaker ending!

And considering it has the best online multiplayer implementation for an action game I've ever seen (and all working out of the box!), overall I was not dissapointed.

One gun with a direction arrow like the Assault rifle from the first game would have been great, The battle rifle and SMG should have been one gun combined, the game should really have given us one more level AND a shield energy bar would have been apprieciated.

One gun with a direction arrow like the Assault rifle from the first game would have been great, The battle rifle and SMG should have been one gun combined, the game should really have given us one more level AND a shield energy bar would have been apprieciated.

I never even used that. I'm so hardcore.

But, a second funtion on the Battle rifle would've been a nice touch.

Your health is the same as Halo 1 though. You just can't see it.

I don't think it is really. The amount of times I've been hit without a shield, yet when the shield regens then gets drained and I'm hit again I can withstand the exact same pounding as before. X 20s

I don't think it is really. The amount of times I've been hit without a shield, yet when the shield regens then gets drained and I'm hit again I can withstand the exact same pounding as before. X 20s

Yeah, it's the same as in the amount of hits it takes. But it recharges too.

I haven't played near enough of it to have an informed opinion, but so far I don't much like the feel of the weapons, they all feel a bit lightweight. The shotgun takes forever to reload if you wait till it's empty and the melee attack looks awkward. Why does he drop one weapon when doing it? And why can't I drive into the water? The vehicles control easier though, and some parts were quite intense, but the first area with the scorpion was a bit of a yawnfest after the initial fun of picking banshees out of the sky wears off.

In terms of controls, it feels pretty much identical to the first game apart from the higher jumping capability, which is a good thing.

* The game fails to deliver on the premise and Earth War hype generated by the TV and E3 trailers.

After a lot of early concerns I have grown to love Halo 2 but your point, especially in regard to the E3 trailer from 2003, is far to true. The 2nd level of Halo 2 bares no resemblance to the one shown in the E3 trailer it was obviously supposed to be. I still love the 'new' version of that level though. :)