IGNORED

Worst Piece Of Mainstream Journalism?

Taurus

is this piece of irresponsible journalism typical of a woman's point of view on gaming or the general opinion of all non-gamers?

I couldn't help thinking she sounded like a pathetic girlie e.g. the reference to being a bad driver, checking e-mail every two minutes. To make sure I wasn't thinking like a misogynist I enquired of a female colleague who agreed totally and thought the journalist only served to substantiate the sexist perceptions of women and technology.

.::: In that case it's probably a newspaper written by 40+ peeps who know-all-best? I mean how can you cover stuff like this and not do a little bit of research? The consoles' functions are in the manual for godsake!

That particular feature was done by an outside organisation (can't remember the name), they would do vacuum cleaners one week, juicers the next. But yeah, whoever compiled it was a bit half arsed about it.

For the Nth time, why is the general public's perception of the industry so important to some people?

This response seems to be a variation of the 'it's only a game' argument. Which is fine; you're correct, it is, ultimately, just a piece of journalistic fluff that's of little consequence, and yeah, we should be happy that we enjoy games and not worry about how we're perceived. But this is a forum that's dedicated to discussion about games. Hence the discussion, and hence us taking issue with a piece of journalism that's pretty lazy, and hence us taking an interest in how people perceive gaming. In real life I wouldn't go up to people and harangue them for misrepresenting games and gamers, but I feel like I can here because a different scale of relative importance applies. It's not like the general public's perception is 'so important'; it's that it's 'so important' relative to all the other stuff there is to talk about when it comes to games.

That particular feature was done by an outside organisation (can't remember the name), they would do vacuum cleaners one week, juicers the next. But yeah, whoever compiled it was a bit half arsed about it.

.::: Hmm that's even worse. You'd suspect that hiring another company to do that would bring along some expertise with that... Ah well, tough luck. :/

It's actually grown on me after a second reading. In a way I find it hard to believe that the person writing it actually knows so little about games, and do kind of wonder if it isn't just a piss take (maybe so next week they can write about how easy it is to wind up gamers). She just really doesn't seem to get it - or even really try to.

I don't know, it is rather pointless, but also quite fun. It's hard to know what a non-gamer would make of it. They'd probably just think "ha ha, yeah, games!".

I admitted I'd bought two copies of Halo2 in my office today in front of everyone.

One person accused me of having no social life.

For the last four days I've had around 10 people in my house, drinking beer, chatting and playing Halo 2.

I say F*** 'em.

And her column isn't bad because of her views necessarily, it's just an incredibly dull and unoriginal waste of bandwith/ink.... If I'd written that, I certianly wouldn't want it published anywhere...

That's not that bad.

I mean you expect the mainstream press to be idiots.

What isn't excusable is crap like this from a dedicated gaming publication:

http://www.totalgames.net/pma/20861

This is why your ABC's are down, people. You entice the punter with the cover exclusive, insult his intelligence with your lies and speculation based around a few measly screenshots and system bias and he never buys your piece of shit rag ever again.

Hello, first post.

The thing that really got to me about this piece in the Guardian was that it was part of a 30-something page section about gadgets, in which all of the other pieces were written in a well-researched, generally positive manner. It was only games that were singled out for the "duh, I know nothing about this and I'm determined not to find out anything if I can help it" treatment.

The version in the magazine also carried an enormous photo of Zoe clutching an Xbox controller that was also fairly cringeworthy. It was kind of "look how absurd I look with this thing."

Why didn't they ask Nick Gillett, who writes excellently in the Guardian Guide on games?

oh for heavens sake, can none of you see her point with out being offended that she doesnt like games, its a funny well written article about a non gamer trying games and not getting them. Jesus you d think everybody on this forum is "comic book guy" from the simpsons.

she sees video games as pointless and she has yet to experience game that would persuade her otherwise at least she has tried them and decided for herself they werent for her. She has got a point which is quite simple and non threatening. She hasnt demonised gaming she just says she doesnt get it. Some people dont play games you know, it doesnt make them the enemy; they are just indifferent.

edit: and to the pedants who think the article is a disgrace becuase she didnt mention the gamecube as a major platform - lighten up

I'm of a mind that there are certain things that, if you haven't mastered them by the time you're 15, you shouldn't try because you'll look and/ or sound stupid. Since you ask, here they are: skiing, tennis, riding a bike and dead languages.

What a wanker. I took tennis up when I was 17. I have played tennis every week for the last 16 years. I have won my club singles event 3 times. I play for the first team, I am a good player at club level. Now I will never get paid for playing but I enjoy it immensly and I don't look stupid. She is a narrow minded toss pot and I take more offence about the tennis bit than the gaming part. She should just fuck off with her narrow minded opinions.

Oh and I never went skiing until I was 18. My parents couldnt afford it (unlike her silver spoon background) and had to wait until I could pay for it myself. I can also ski well enough to get down any black run. My god she really is a complete nobber. Worse she gets paid for rolling out that sort of bollox.

Just because she is obviuosly shit at everything she does she thinks that we are all the same. What a prick...

please tell me you are joking

edit i seriously cant tell if your joking or not

edit, holy shit please send this to her as a complaint, :D;):D

Why didn't they ask Nick Gillett, who writes excellently in the Guardian Guide on games?

becuase the point of the article is that she isnt a gamer

Hello, first post.

The thing that really got to me about this piece in the Guardian was that it was part of a 30-something page section about gadgets, in which all of the other pieces were written in a well-researched, generally positive manner. It was only games that were singled out for the "duh, I know nothing about this and I'm determined not to find out anything if I can help it" treatment.

The version in the magazine also carried an enormous photo of Zoe clutching an Xbox controller that was also fairly cringeworthy. It was kind of "look how absurd I look with this thing."

Hi Nick! :D

Zoe Williams is perfectly entitled to her opinion. What I found bizarre was that it was such a strange choice of games to offer a neophyte. Why not the table-tennis from EyeToy: Play 2? Why not Wario Ware, ICO, Myst, Soul Calibur and Donkey Konga?

She played the Sims 2, GTA : VC and BO3, all of which are extremely easy to get into, and which are 3 of the highest profile games of the moment. I don't think the selection offered to her was unreasonable.