Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

hub2

I'm interested to see what GS give it.

They gave the first MGS an 8.1 - Joe Fielder reviewed it and didn't like the cutscene stuff. MGS2 got a 9.6 and the review hit it pretty much on the head (not necessarily the score) and judging by their latest reviews they seem to be scoring lower on average than most other sites.

Sometimes they're almost edge-ish in their toughness (old edge).

Sometimes they're almost edge-ish in their toughness (old edge).

As long as they are fair and correctly explain any problem areas then they are going well. I generally enjoy their reviews, which I find quite honest (something not all sites can get close to achieving).

Snake Eater certainly looks a cut above MGS2. It's certainly revived my interest in the adventures of the mullet wearing hero.

I think it is good that the UK release is not until March '05. In the US it looks like MGS3 will be lost amongst all the other big titles. That is a surprising thing to think, but that is the way I read it from the US forums.

If you have been following the development of MGS3, then you will know that it is an excellent addition to the series. I expect it to be an Edge 9.

I was going to import this and GT4 fupon release in the US. But there are so many other titles that I'm happy to wait.

I'm picking up Half Life 2 next.

Why do people keep posting IGN reviews?

They all seem to be written about three days after the game's released and usually contain less information than a preview.

Because it was the first of the major sites to posts a review, and the hope that the ensuing discussion would remind people of this great game which is getting a little bit lost in the hype of H2, HL2, MP2 etc.

Anyway, it's not about the text, it about the couple of digits that come at the end. :rolleyes:

I think a lot of the lack of hype is that plenty of rabid fanbois like myself were sucked in by the MGS2 hype and ended up hating the game. GWB said it best I think when he said

There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again

IGN have totally dissapeared up their own backside as of late, they've always misused the scoring system but now are handing out 9+ marks like so much free promotional tat.

Already pre-ordered this as despite MGS2's giant, expository waffle which chimed in every five steps via Codec I still found myself enjoying the game, hopefully Kojima has learnt now that when using an interactive medium he can also show us as opposed to just bloody telling us all the time.

Gamespot (who I have a slightly higher regard for than IGN) give it 8.7, a good but not "amazing" score. They use the phrase "tedious exposition" on the first page, so its clear that not all of the lessons of MGS2 have been learned sadly. I'm still going to get it of course, but its down the list after DS games and MP:E.

So, who's playing it?

I'm really enjoying it. It plays fantastic, the camo system works great (didn't expect that. It only takes a couple of seconds to change your outfit ), the eating system is great (No, you don't have to eat every 5 seconds ;) ) and fuck, the graphics are the best i've seen on the PS2. Some framedrops at really hectic moments (meh, 7 enemy's and 1 chopper.. wauch..) but nothing to worry about. Voice Acting is superb so not the crappy VA Twin Snakes got. I still have nightmares about that one...

The cure system is sweet. You have to inject medicines, wrap bandage, use a knife to remove bullets etc etc. blabla, just buy it. ;)

Oh yeah, some possible spoilers (related to MGS2, funny crap)

Click For Spoiler
When you begin the game you have 3 options ; i liked mgs1, i liked mgs2 and i never played mgs before. Select the last one and you will hear some tutorials during the game. Select "i liked MGS2" and well uhm.. You will start with a Raiden Mask lol. Later on he will reveal himself but it is funny. And there is another surprise but i leave that to you to find out. I loved it. :lol:

Game/story :

Click For Spoiler
The Bosses are really over the top. Maybe a little over the top but heck, it's just cool. And a few of them are really hard to beat and i mean REALLY hard. But you can win boss battles in lame ways if it's really tooooo hard. IGN describes it the best because my english sucks :

"While it's possible to consistently take the bosses down with one single strategy for each there are plenty of ways of going about it and it can be as difficult as you want it to be. One of the more varied challenges is easily against a boss in a forest. Giving away details about the battle would be criminal, but it's safe to say that there are methods that could satisfactorily take an hour or more while another could finish the whole thing in just a few minutes. Still, just because the cheaper option is available doesn't mean that you have to take it and that's the beauty of the whole game. It's linear in terms of the storyline, but incredibly deep in the amount of options available. "

Make it as hard or as easy as you like. But if you want it to do the easy way you still have the problems of finding how to do it simple. And that's also hard. :)

I really loved the battle with The End. It took me around 20 minutes to kill him but damn.. it felt good. Yep, the Forest guy. :D

Seeing Ocelot "changing" is great because you did fought him a couple of times in the other games. It's lovely to see him this young and different but he's already changing.

The scene about "Noodles are going to be the spacy food of the spacy age is fantastic. EVA has huge Boobs!

Yeah, great game. I'm almost at the end and i really can't wait to complete it.

I still don't understand why PAL gamers need to wait so long before seeing MGS 3. I modified my PS2 just for MGS 2 but have since sold it for an Xbox and never looked back, I'm currently really enjoying playing through the original MGS on PSX yet again.

I'm not sure if I will be tempted to buy a PS2 for MGS 3 although I would be interested in knowing the storyline, purely for completists sakes.

I've been reading the gamespot reader reviews; I'm really hyped for this now. It looks like it's going to be absolutely brilliant-humurous, beautiful to look at, a storyline that makes sense (althought I personanlly loved MGS2's zany plot) etc. etc...

Heard a few grumbles about the inflexibility of the camera system, also found that there's a linear path through the jungle :o, sounds like a missed opportunity.

Strange-there's tonnes of well-written positive reviews at Gamespot.

I'm getting it anyway-because I did actually enjoy MGS2, and the new gameplay details seems really interesting. Plus the graphics look gorgeous.