IGNORED

Cs Source

oli

Post pics plz! i want to see whether what I'm creating is at a similar level to what you can pull off!

I would, but I havn't started it yet ;)

Besides, i'll probably get all the geometry up first, then texture it. So it'll probaly look terrible until a week before it's finished.

From the pic's you've already shown yours will be better anyway, this will be my first map since making a few maps for Quake 3 with Q3Radiant. I have no experience with hammer...

You seem to be clued up Tracer ^_^

How do I split a brush into 2 seperate brushes? I don't want to carve it, say I had a wall made of one brush 10 units high x 10 units wide x 2 units thick. I wan't to make the wall into 2 totally seperate brushes of 10x10x1 units, how do you do it?

You can tell my map will be pants not even knowing how to do this seemingly basic task :P

You seem to be clued up Tracer ^_^

How do I split a brush into 2 seperate brushes? I don't want to carve it, say I had a wall made of one brush 10 units high x 10 units wide x 2 units thick. I wan't to make the wall into 2 totally seperate brushes of 10x10x1 units, how do you do it?

You can tell my map will be pants not even knowing how to do this seemingly basic task :P

Well I have to say I'm not sure, I think one of the constraints of hammer is that you cannot split a brush though I could be wrong. My way of doing it would be to just make two seperate brushes and place them next to each other, the final texture should spread across the two if they're the same.

Alternatively you could clone the first brush (highlight>ctrl+c) paste it back in then resize both. If you do find out the real way let me know.

Does anyone know how to read the manual? There's a good resource, you get the link in the SDK menu, it tells you lots of stuff in there, take a look.

how does that work then? ^_^

I often find that someone explaining it to me (someone whos not me explaining) is easier than a manual.

Well I have to say I'm not sure, I think one of the constraints of hammer is that you cannot split a brush though I could be wrong. My way of doing it would be to just make two seperate brushes and place them next to each other, the final texture should spread across the two if they're the same.

Alternatively you could clone the first brush (highlight>ctrl+c) paste it back in then resize both. If you do find out the real way let me know.

I was wanting to do it so that I could texture the same brush with 2 different textures, and as I don't believe you can texture a brush with 2 textures (if you can let me know) I wan'ted to split the brush into 2 or more so I could put a seperate texture on each part of the split brush.

Anyway, just found the proper way ^_^

Toolbar on the left, the 'Clipping Tool' (or Shift-X)

Select your item you want to split with the selection tool, then select the clipping tool, on one of the 2d views draw a line with the tool through the object you are splitting (the part of the brush that is outlined in white is the one that will be kept) clicking the tool again or pressing shift-x you can select which (or both) sides you want to keep. Pressing Enter splits the brush along the line.

Saves loads of time if you want to texture the top half of an already made wall different to the bottom half.

Well I got quite a bit done in my first go at the map. I've done an area which is about 20% of the map up to about 50% complete. So technically i've done about 10% of the work already ^_^

As it's my first map I have decided to create it based on a map from another game - rather than create my own fully. I doubt you will guess the game when I show off some screen shots though :P

:(

Ravern Tracer and I had a fun time in chateau getting onto that top bit via the broken stairs. Well not Ravern so much, he couldn't get up ;)

dechateau00495dh.jpg

WOOOO!! :o

dechateau00502nd.jpg

Me Tracer and some random guy

dechateau00526gh.jpg

Raverns futile attempts, lol

dechateau00548qi.jpg

My dead body after being knifed.

dechateau00571pp.jpg

Tracer's dead body.

Ahh that was fun.

raf·ter2 ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rftr)

n.

One of the sloping beams that supports a pitched roof.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Middle English, from Old English ræfter.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

raftered adj.

AHHHHHHHHHH