It's That Time Of Year Again: Fave Lp Of 2004!

[mD.]

And whats with all you fools suddenly crawling out the woodworks stating a Hip-Hop album as your favourite release of the year but haven't taken a second to bother coming into the Hip-Hop recommendations thread?  Fakers  :)

Don't be a pretentious spaz.

Surely a somebody's favourite album of the year can be hip hop, yet not have that much of an extensive knowledge of the genre.

Someone's hardly going to wander into your thread to recommend Five to the Boroughs are they?

Step into the Arena's one of my favourite albums ever, but I still don't feel I could contribute fully to a hip hop recommendations thread...

Gnomesayin' :(

Hee.. I dunno. Been a good year so far.

Choices (bear in mind that I get mixed up and often forget when music is actually released..):

Joanna Newsom - The Milk-eyed Mender

Devandra Banhart - Rejoicing in the Hands (was this 2004..?)

The Arcade Fire - Funeral

And the new Blonde Redhead album, too. That's BOSH in your FACE, guy.

And whats with all you fools suddenly crawling out the woodworks stating a Hip-Hop album as your favourite release of the year but haven't taken a second to bother coming into the Hip-Hop recommendations thread? Fakers :(

I can never be arsed to. I'm sorry.

Top 3:

1. Tiësto - Just Be

2. Keane - Hopes & Fears

3. Jurgen Vries - Trance Revolution

I doubt any release between now and the New Year will make me change any of those.

Thats the weirdest mix of music in a top 3 I've ever seen...honestly. :D

Thats the weirdest mix of music in a top 3 I've ever seen...honestly. :o

I have very mixed musical tastes, i find it a bit strange that people can only like a specific type of music and no others (e.g. my sister liking only Hip Hop). Maybe i'm just a bit strange in general. :(

My top three for the year are

Scissor Sisters: Although I am a massive Pink Floyd fan, I managed to get past my inital hatred of Comfortably Numb to enjoy the album. I would love to know what Gilmore, Walters, et all thought of it though.

Jet, Get Born: I raved about this in another thread. Fantastic album.

Maroon 5, Songs About Jane: Don't care what anybody else thinks of them (I remember the daft forum argument when this was chosen as a book club style Album of the Month topic :o ), damn good album by a great band, who were even better when I saw them at Brixton earlier this month.

(This list will increase to 4 once the U2 album is released, unless it's pish!)

I'd go for Marianne Faithfull's Before the Poison. Much of it is written by PJ Harvey and Nick Cave.

Goodness knows why this year's PJ Harvey album was so lifeless because the songs she contributes on this album wouldn't be out of place on Stories From The City, Stories From The Sea. Damon Albarn also contributes, so when your album is written by Nick Cave, PJ Harvey and Damon Albarn, you've got to be a dreadful singer to mess it up.

And not a Mars Bar in sight.

You really can't argue with Franz Ferdinand either. Of all the success stories this year, theirs is the most welcome.

sonic youth - sonic nurse

xiu xiu - fabulous muscles

brian eno - another green world (remaster)

tom waits - real gone

futureheads - s/t

second thought - purlieu

brian eno - here coem the warm jets (remaster)

jah wobble - i could have been a contender (box set)

ghost - hypnotic underworld

sonic youth - sonic nurse

xiu xiu - fabulous muscles

tom waits - real gone

futureheads - s/t

second thought - purlieu

jah wobble - i could have been a contender (box set)

ghost - hypnotic underworld

So good you bought it twice <_<

Stuff i've enjoyed over the last 11 months

Sasha - Involver

Scissor Sisters

Keane - Hopes and Fears

The Streets - A Grand Dont Come For Free

Goldie lookin Chain - Greatest Hits

Josh Wink - 20 to 20

Ulrich Schnauss - Both Albums

Spymob - Sitting Around Keeping Score

Craig Richards - Fabric 15

PSO Ep 1&2 Premium Arrange Soundtrack

Katamari Damashi Soundtrack

Final Fantasy VII Piano Collection

The Black Mages

DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist - Product Placement

I'm sure not all of them were released in 2004 but they were new to me

Maroon 5, Songs About Jane

I agree.

I bought my THIRD Album this year today, and this was it.

It's all sort of pop/funky/Jay Kay kinda shit. Wicked!

My very favouritest one has been The Go! Team - Thunder Lightning Strike. Pop music just doesn't get much sweeter, for sure, unless you count Brian Wilson's SMiLE, which - for technical reasons, i.e. comparing any other album to SMiLE is like comparing static caravans to the Sistine Chapel, and besides, it's been pretty much album of the year for me since I first compiled my own SMiLE tape in 1997 or thereabouts, and pause for breath - I'm not. The Beta Band - Heroes to Zeros is my other pick, and I'm shamelessly including it as much for sentimental reasons (anybody else here been to see one of their final tour shows? Beautiful stuff) as musical ones. Come back, space guys!

Pop music just doesn't get much sweeter, for sure, unless you count Brian Wilson's SMiLE, which - for technical reasons, i.e. comparing any other album to SMiLE is like comparing static caravans to the Sistine Chapel, and besides, it's been pretty much album of the year for me since I first compiled my own SMiLE tape in 1997 or thereabouts, and pause for breath - I'm not.

But didn't you find the official version of Smile disappointing in places when compared to those bootlegs? For instance, I think it contains the worst version of Wind Chimes I've heard, and I'm not too keen on its Surf's Up either.

I found it to be a disappointment and it's a long way from being considered for one of my favourites of the year.

That looks like a good album just going on the title and cover art, what's the music like?

It's weirded out jazz and hip hop...and don't think 'gangsta' before contemplating it. It makes as much sense as the album cover.

I'd like to see the tour, but I cannae afford to go to London. Bah.

But didn't you find the official version of Smile disappointing in places when compared to those bootlegs. For instance, I think it contains the worst version of Wind Chimes I've heard, and I'm not too keen on its Surf's Up either.

I'm not sure disappointing is quite the right word. It's certainly jarring at first to hear a new version of, say, Surf's Up when you've been listening to one or two different versions for a decade or more previously, especially on the chorus where it's quite clear that Brian's not going to reach the high note and so they let one of the Wondermints do it instead. I dunno, really. After a few listens it became less of an issue, I more or less accepted that instrumentally the tracks are just about as faithfully reproduced as possible, and anything that's different vocally is different mostly because Brian's pipes aren't what they used to be. This you have to balance against the major positive brought by the new SMiLE, which is its masterly patching together of all the SMiLE bits - I'd argue strongly that what SMiLE as an album hinges on more than, for example, Pet Sounds, is its overall consistency through segues between songs and movements. This just wasn't possible previously (trying to merge the differing-quality, differing-volume songs into some continuous running order onto a C90 doesn't exactly produce the most excellent results), and now being able to hear the whole picture - if you'll excuse the mixed metaphor - with Brian at the helm, is what makes the new SMiLE the best so far.

(For me. Obv.)

I haven't enjoyed a whole lot this year- there's very little decent r&b around. Mostly been listening to 'classic' stuff.

The winnarz by default are :

Joe 'And Then...'

Amp Fiddler 'Waltz Of A Ghetto Fly'

and Usher 'Confessions', which I didn't like at first but has grown on me, big time.