It's That Time Of Year Again: Fave Lp Of 2004!

[mD.]

I've not totally decided (and won't until after the last monday in december.. :lol: ) but for now, here are some albums I have really enjoyed:

New Releases:

Modest Mouse - Good News for People Who Love Bad News

Hope of the States - The Lost Riots

Bass Communion - Ghosts on Magnetic Tape

Blackfield - Blackfield

Re-releases:

Porcupine Tree - Voyage 34

Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways

probly CloudDEAD - Ten or The Unicorns - Who Will Cut OUr Hair When We Are Gone

IN order to make my post more interesting, here are synopses of the albums

Ten - Some of the strangest leftfield hiphop lofi messing about I've heard. And yet, after a couple of listens, madly addictive.

THe Unicorns - all the best bits of quirky guitar bands like clinic or pavement topped off with mad skillz production, a sense of humour and a comic death fixation. RECOMMENDED!

i will compile my best ofs at the end of the year. there's still lots of purchasing and listening time between now and December 31st.

o/\o

Even though it's mostly greatest hits and pish releases flooding the charts and CD racks there's still some that are not only eeking out, but need a few weeks listenage to establish where they 'fit' in my top 52 [one decent per week].

Example: I only got Willy Mason's album on Monday and every track in sexcellent [even though it was out a month ago] so it's bound to be 'up there'. And U2 only beat out their latest this week.

Is it good? Saw him a few weeks ago, was excellent.

Fucking. Sub. Lime.

It won't be what you're expecing [i saw him before it] with loads of lo-fi full band stuff and heart warming lyrics. The title track would easily go on a 'greatest hits' cd of ace songs on albums this year.

Fucking. Sub. Lime.

It won't be what you're expecing [i saw him before it] with loads of lo-fi full band stuff and heart warming lyrics. The title track would easily go on a 'greatest hits' cd of ace songs on albums this year.

Excellent.

It's officially on my christmas list then :unsure:

o/\o

Though here's a pro tip: their previous stuff is even better if you can find it.

You're right, they're first album is a far better record. Although the new album did have the sublime BoC remix of Dead Dogs Two, one of the singles of the year.

The Subtle album was a lot better in my opinion, it's similar to Clouddead but using more live instruments. Sample - F.K.O.

You're right, they're first album is a far better record. Although the new album did have the sublime BoC remix of Dead Dogs Two, one of the singles of the year.

The Subtle album was a lot better in my opinion, it's similar to Clouddead but using more live instruments. Sample - F.K.O.

Ooh, nice - thank you. Something else to order on Amazon later.

Though I bet they don't have an electric drill solo. :ph34r:

Fucking. Sub. Lime.

You weren't lying were you?

Cracking album. Although it did seem very similar to when I saw him - when did you see him? I saw him when he was in Boro.

Guest jabberwock1977

Oh shit.. how could i forget Kanye West - College Dropout.

And you lot in the hip-hop thread are being unduly snobby for not including it. Just 'coz it's commerical that doesn't make it any less of a classic unless you're counting it as a soul album which is fair enough i spose.

High fives to Kerraig and The Debaser,

Miss Machine by the dillinger escape plan is my favourite album this year.

I never really gave it much time... I might have a listen to it now. My early impressions were that it wasn't as good as their old stuff, and I'd just bought a few other CD's, including the new Zombi album, so it probably got left out a little.

I see it's been given an album of the year award.

Relapse Records recording artists THE DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN's latest release Miss Machine has been named as Decibel Magazine's 2004 "Album of the Year". The year-end Decibel list was determined via a poll of the magazine's editors and contributing writers.

Released on July 20th, 2004, Miss Machine was an immediate success. The album debuted at #106 on Billboard's Top 200 chart, making it the highest charting record in Relapse's sales history. Miss Machine tops an impressive list of the magazine's year-end favorites, which includes new releases from DILLINGER labelmates MASTODON and PIG DESTROYER. The full list of Decibel's 2004 "Albums of the Year" can be found in the January / February, 2005 issue - on stands December 7th.

Link

The Go! Team - Thunder Lightning Strike

The Concretes - The Concretes

also good:

The Zutons - Who Killed The Zutons

Bloc Party

The Others

DM & Gemini - Ghetto Pop Life (probably '03)

really can't remember what else I've bought.

You weren't lying were you?

Cracking album. Although it did seem very similar to when I saw him - when did you see him? I saw him when he was in Boro.

Mid Octoberish with 22-20s and Cathy Davey. It was just him and his guitar, so he wasn't soothing us with anything like the wave of loveliness from the title track, or 'Gotta Keep Movin'.

Bloc Party recorded the album a while back, in October I think, at least that's what Matt [drummer and possibly soundest band member I've ever met ever] said, so it wouldn't suprise me if it's been planted on the P2Ps by now. ITS GOING TO BE TEH BREAZT EVAR

Bloc Party recorded the album a while back, in October I think, at least that's what Matt [drummer and possibly soundest band member I've ever met ever] said, so it wouldn't suprise me if it's been planted on the P2Ps by now. ITS GOING TO BE TEH BREAZT EVAR

I'm halfway through listening to this. I quite liked the EP, but this is fucking amazing stuff (see how I am enjoy to use the word 'fuck' to emphasising my point yes?).

I feel rather guilty, considering it's not going to be out for so long. This is going to be a must-purchase, though.

Oh man! The version of She's Hearing Voices on here is gorgeous. As is Blue Light.

For me, probably one of:

Scissor Sisters - Scissor Sisters

Blonde Redhead - Misery is a butterfly

Charlotte Hatherley - Fade to Grey

or

Martinis - Smitten (if only for the return of Joey of Santiago)

Really enjoyed all of them.

Edit to appease the grumpy ones: Alright on number of listens I'll give it to Scissor Sisters, jeez. :)

Mid Octoberish with 22-20s and Cathy Davey. It was just him and his guitar, so he wasn't soothing us with anything like the wave of loveliness from the title track, or 'Gotta Keep Movin'.

do you by any chance know if they are playing anywhere in London any time soon?

and where did you meet that guy? which one is he? I'm being nosy because I think they are great.... ;)

Guest captainsteely

jesus. it's taken me one and a half years since registering to make my first post......

best one of the year:

the arcade fire - funeral

but these ones are also wicked:

loretta lynne - van lear rose

interpol - antics

william shatner - has been

the shatner album is surprisingly ace though. we're all going to die!

do you by any chance know if they are playing anywhere in London any time soon?

and where did you meet that guy? which one is he? I'm being nosy because I think they are great.... :o

I met him, you know, after they played? The guitarist was pimping it with some groupie so a few of us started talking to the drummer- the person in the bands that everyone forgets about.

Guest captainsteely

the arcade fire - funeral

I'm saying that on a technicality this can't be nominated as it doesn't officially come out until next year. Already my top album of 2005 though.

in that case loretta lynne it is.

this album along with vernon god little and the country music station in san andreas have made me want to get a stetson, move to a trailer park in the states and start chewing tobacco. and then i'll marry my cousin.

my mother would be proud.

I'm saying that on a technicality this can't be nominated as it doesn't officially come out until next year. Already my top album of 2005 though.

Candi Staton wins best reissue.

So we are counting UK release dates only? If thats so I'll have the unicorns back in my list as it only got a UK release in November.