It's That Time Of Year Again: Fave Lp Of 2004!

[mD.]

I'm halfway through listening to this. I quite liked the EP, but this is fucking amazing stuff (see how I am enjoy to use the word 'fuck' to emphasising my point yes?).

I feel rather guilty, considering it's not going to be out for so long. This is going to be a must-purchase, though.

Oh man! The version of She's Hearing Voices on here is gorgeous. As is Blue Light.

Yes! Got it. It's hypnotically robotic and the threatening crescendos are ten times better now. I'm scared to listen to any more of it until tommorow :D

Yes! Got it. It's hypnotically robotic and the threatening crescendos are ten times better now. I'm scared to listen to any more of it until tommorow ^_^

Hooray!

The album officially kicks my ass. I was wondering if I had 'ground floor syndrome;' ie. liking an album or band more than I should because I get it or get into them before the hype machine gets going.

But no way man. This is just hands down, kick-me-in-the-crotch fantastic. 'Compliments' is next year's 'Maps,' I reckon; an absolutely stunning downbeat track that just ties the whole thing together.

Hooray!

The album officially kicks my ass. I was wondering if I had 'ground floor syndrome;' ie. liking an album or band more than I should because I get it or get into them before the hype machine gets going.

But no way man. This is just hands down, kick-me-in-the-crotch fantastic. 'Compliments' is next year's 'Maps,' I reckon; an absolutely stunning downbeat track that just ties the whole thing together.

I've listened to it probably 30+ times since Saturday, once I'd embraced the slower tracks it's been a honeymoon of sounds.

'Positive Tension' is the highlight for me. "SO FUCKIN' UUUUSELESS!" Hipshaking buildup with twinkling and edgey guitar padding with a smashtastic climax, superb stuff.

I shouldn't have even doubted them for a second. Too early to call album of 2005 then?

modest mouse... are they really all that great? can't seem to shake that 'flaming lips wannabe' impression. correct me if im wrong please.

Well you know, you could listen to them and decide for yourself. They are comparable to Flaming Lips but not wannabe by any means. Good news for people who love bad news is not as good as previous record The Moon and Antartic, but is more accessible i guess.

My favourites:

God is an Astronaut - All is Violent, All is Bright.

Only released online just this week and it's pretty much my favourite album ever after a few days, it's an incredibly beguiling and beautiful collection of instrumental indie mixed with slices of electronica. There's lots of fantastic soaring riffs with some Silent Hill style piano/electronic tunage. It also has a post apocalyptic soundtrack vibe running through the album. Can't recommend it enough.

Sasha - Involver.

The mixing that brings you from track 1 to 8 is superb and then it breaks down for me, don't like track #9 and the Ulrich Schnauss 'remix' is a bit poor, but I'm probably only saying that because I know 'On my Own' already. Track #5 is bliss though.

Infected Mushroom - IM the Supervisor.

145 bpm mind expanding psy trance and I love it.

Blue States - The Soundings

Quite different to the first two Blue States albums(which I didn't like so much), it's much darker and more melancholy. Leaning In is possibly the saddest track I've ever heard.

Interesting selection there Murdoch, your detailed descriptions made me go and seek out the artists mentioned (Sasha excluded obviously)! I've downloaded the track Fragile from GodIsAnAstronaut.com which is rather nice. Is all there stuff similar to that as I'm tempted to get both their albums for just £15 in the online shop? Infected Mushrooms is on its way now and there are some audio samples at bluestates.com I will be checking out soon. Thankyou.

Albums I've enjoyed this year:

Tom Waits - Real Gone

Mundy - Raining Down Arrows

Lost In Translation Soundtrack

The Divine Comedy - Absent Friends

Kings of Leon - A-Ha Shake Heartbreak

But on sheer number of listens, it'd go to the LiT Soundtrack. But if you want me to name an original album, I'd say "Raining Down Arrows" by Offaly's golden child, Mundy.

Iced Earth- Horrow Show

Great album, Iced Earth doing what they do best.

Iced Earth- The Glorious Burden

Very different, dumped (sadly) Matt Barlow, in order to produce a full CD of averageness. Fortunately they included another CD with it, which included the Gettysburg Trilogy- the BEST THING EVA. And I mean EVA.

Iced Earth- Alive in Athens

3 CDs of Iced Earth live. Enough said. (Are live albums allowed? Oh well.)

4293.jpg

My favourites:

God is an Astronaut - All is Violent, All is Bright.

Only released online just this week and it's pretty much my favourite album ever after a few days, it's an incredibly beguiling and beautiful collection of instrumental indie mixed with slices of electronica. There's lots of fantastic soaring riffs with some Silent Hill style piano/electronic tunage. It also has a post apocalyptic soundtrack vibe running through the album. Can't recommend it enough.

Sasha - Involver.

The mixing that brings you from track 1 to 8 is superb and then it breaks down for me, don't like track #9 and the Ulrich Schnauss 'remix' is a bit poor, but I'm probably only saying that because I know 'On my Own' already. Track #5 is bliss though.

Infected Mushroom - IM the Supervisor.

145 bpm mind expanding psy trance and I love it.

Blue States - The Soundings

Quite different to the first two Blue States albums(which I didn't like so much), it's much darker and more melancholy. Leaning In is possibly the saddest track I've ever heard.

Infected Mushroom is aces indeed classic mental trance I aint heard the like since my Hippo club attending days. I'm recommending it to the Trance heads I know.

Now If I could only find a decent copy of Doof -Lets Turn on.

Interesting selection there Murdoch, your detailed descriptions made me go and seek out the artists mentioned (Sasha excluded obviously)! I've downloaded the track Fragile from GodIsAnAstronaut.com which is rather nice. Is all there stuff similar to that as I'm tempted to get both their albums for just £15 in the online shop? Infected Mushrooms is on its way now and there are some audio samples at bluestates.com I will be checking out soon. Thankyou.

You're welcome! I was hoping people would check out the stuff I listed.

Yeah, most of the tracks in God is an Astronaut's current album sound similar. Fragile is great but there's quite a few tracks on the album that are better imo.

You can download videos of their other singles in the Videos section of the website.

Re: Infected Mushroom's album, I just want to turn it up to 11 every time it hits track #6. Dangerous stuff, especially as in-car tunage I imagine. ;)

Sasha - Involver.

Funnily enough, what use to be one of my least favourite Schnauss tracks was transformed into a great track with Involver. But yeah, the whole CD is a great example of how to do a mix CD properly.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Madvillian: Madvilliany

2. Les Savy Fav: Inches

3. Modest Mouse: Good News For People Who Like Bad News

4. God is an Astronaut: End of the Beginning

5. TV on the Radio: Desperate Youth, Bloodthirsty Babes

My copy of the new God is an Astronaut album is still in the post. Thanks for the headsup Murdock. Their set at Oxegen last year was just.. mindblowing. The audiovisuals are seriously good.

These guys are the best band to come out of Ireland since My Bloody Valentine. Similar sort of sound as well. Their new single is free for download so give it a try anybody who's interested:

http://www.godisanastronaut.com