Pink Floyd

Davros sock drawer

5 minutes ago, smac said:

At the very least, you owe it to yourself to listen to DSOTM on headphones in a darkened room when you aren't going to have any interruptions. At least once.

Oh to experience that again for the first time :D 

On 10/08/2022 at 20:37, Meat said:

Anyone have any tips here? I’ve been getting into them intensely, now my favourite band of all time. But still mainly mainstream stuff so to think there are other masterpieces excites me like nothing else. Ed’s post makes me feel like a total noob, gladly. To prove it here are tracks I’ve listened to and adore (haven’t listened to whole albums except Dark side)

Comfortably numb

Wish you were here

Time

Great gig in the sky 

Hey you

High hopes

Another brick

All of dark side album

Gunners dream

Take it back 

Set the controls

Extremely impressed by Waters’ lyrics, and Roger Waters the person.

Their solos are orgasmic. I really want to hear the good rare versions.

Echos

Sorrow

Shine On You Crazy Diamond pts1-7

Money

One Of These Days

Learning To Fly

Young Lust

Sheep

Astronomy Domine

That should keep you going for a while 

On 10/08/2022 at 20:37, Meat said:

Anyone have any tips here? I’ve been getting into them intensely, now my favourite band of all time. But still mainly mainstream stuff so to think there are other masterpieces excites me like nothing else. Ed’s post makes me feel like a total noob, gladly. To prove it here are tracks I’ve listened to and adore (haven’t listened to whole albums except Dark side)

Comfortably numb

Wish you were here

Time

Great gig in the sky 

Hey you

High hopes

Another brick

All of dark side album

Gunners dream

Take it back 

Set the controls

Extremely impressed by Waters’ lyrics, and Roger Waters the person.

Their solos are orgasmic. I really want to hear the good rare versions.

After Syd imploded after the first album, the Floyd were lost a bit without their main songwriter and leader, so there were quite a few albums of finding their feet.

Peak Waters era though are...

DSOTM

WYWH

Animals

The Wall

The Final Cut

I personally don't really play WYWH that often anymore, I tend to find it drags too long in places

After the peak Waters stuff, go backwards, in this sort of order I'd say...

Meddle

Obscured By Clouds

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (after working backwards a monumental shift in tone!)

If you are still hungry for more after those...

Atom Heart Mother (the band themselves hate this one, but without it there is no "Summer '68" - Rick Wrights masterpiece)

A Saucerful of Secrets

More

Ummagumma (part live, part solo studio albums over 4 sides)

I generally don't recognise Momentary Lapse of reason and Division Bell as Floyd albums (probably in the same way hardcore Floyd fans don't like The Wall and (especially) The Final Cut because it's too Waters) because these 2 are just sound like fairly directionless Gilmour solo efforts (especially MLOR) with the other members in tow. I'll leave it there rather than go on! :)

If I could only choose 5 albums - I'd go for...

Meddle

DSOTM

Animals

The Wall

Obscured By Clouds

I feel a heathen for leaving off Piper there

1 hour ago, SeanR said:

and did anyone else have the cd with the flashing LED?

Yeah, me.

Meddle and DSOTM are my favourite albums. I don't pick songs because I see them both as whole entities which shouldn't be dissected.

On 10/08/2022 at 21:29, Darren said:

Dark Side of the Moon

Wish You Were Here

Animals

The Wall

I understand the plaudits rained on this set of 4 albums but for me Meddle is almost peerless. It is just before Floyd found their "groove" so you have some of the oddness of early floyd mixed with the maturity of sound and silky smooth progression of DSOTM onwards.

If I am in a FLoyd mood I often pop Meddle on.

EDIT - if someone asked me to recommend an album to someone who had never heard floyd before I would say Dark Side of the Moon, it has none of the bloat of The Wall (Waters excesses writ large) and more accessible that the beautiful Wish You Were Here. Then after listening to DSOTM I'd play them Meddle :D

21 hours ago, englishbob said:

After Syd imploded after the first album, the Floyd were lost a bit without their main songwriter and leader, so there were quite a few albums of finding their feet.

Peak Waters era though are...

DSOTM

WYWH

Animals

The Wall

The Final Cut

I personally don't really play WYWH that often anymore, I tend to find it drags too long in places

After the peak Waters stuff, go backwards, in this sort of order I'd say...

Meddle

Obscured By Clouds

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (after working backwards a monumental shift in tone!)

If you are still hungry for more after those...

Atom Heart Mother (the band themselves hate this one, but without it there is no "Summer '68" - Rick Wrights masterpiece)

A Saucerful of Secrets

More

Ummagumma (part live, part solo studio albums over 4 sides)

I generally don't recognise Momentary Lapse of reason and Division Bell as Floyd albums (probably in the same way hardcore Floyd fans don't like The Wall and (especially) The Final Cut because it's too Waters) because these 2 are just sound like fairly directionless Gilmour solo efforts (especially MLOR) with the other members in tow. I'll leave it there rather than go on! :)

If I could only choose 5 albums - I'd go for...

Meddle

DSOTM

Animals

The Wall

Obscured By Clouds

I feel a heathen for leaving off Piper there

Thank you everyone for your generous posts, I can’t wait to delve in.

I know I should be listening to the full albums. I started with a best of complication and still can appreciate the artistry of their songs on their own, but yes there’s a synergy with the other tracks.

Just a stunning band of no equal.

Piper At The Gates is amazing, absolutely as damaged and acid frazzled brilliance as you can imagine, to the point that nothing since sounds like it or even comes close to it.

So Pink Floyd post Barrett are a different band really. A bit like New Order after Joy Division. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure about monetising the back catalogue to the tune of the investment being discussed, of course they are a huge important band but is there $500m of value in owning it, does it attract that many streams or is it old blokes listening to it on vinyl who already own it multiple times ?

Some good headlines though, Comfortably Off, Another Brick In The Wall St etc etc

Money
It's a crime
Share it fairly, but don't take a slice of my pie
Money
So they say
Is the root of all evil today

Though the $500m wouldn't get them much of a football team nowadays, how times have changed.

On 25/08/2022 at 09:22, Gotters said:

Not sure about monetising the back catalogue to the tune of the investment being discussed, of course they are a huge important band but is there $500m of value in owning it, does it attract that many streams or is it old blokes listening to it on vinyl who already own it multiple times ?

Some good headlines though, Comfortably Off, Another Brick In The Wall St etc etc

Money
It's a crime
Share it fairly, but don't take a slice of my pie
Money
So they say
Is the root of all evil today

Though the $500m wouldn't get them much of a football team nowadays, how times have changed.

In the old days of selling your catalogue, like Bowie did, that would have been a huge physical market to remake the money back easily. Nowadays I'm not so sure, got to be in it for the long game I suppose. 

I'm interested to hear Waters' version of this new story once the dust settles on it - I wonder what the agreement and arrangements have been on it between the three surviving members and Rick Wright's family.

• 2 weeks later...

It feels surreal to actually be holding the Blu-Ray today after what was years of speculation, I honestly believed at one point it would never happen. The 2018 remix moniker here is a bit damming in 2022 for the Floyd camp to be honest to get their act together. Doubt it will ever change whilst they are still alive

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

I made a decision not to go this time. £126 for a ticket with a decent view is more than I'm willing to pay.

I don't doubt that it will be a good show (saw him on the In The Flesh Tour, twice on The Wall Tour and on the Us + Them Tour) but I want to get baked and watch a show, not listen to his political ranting and pay through the nose for the privilege