47 minutes ago, Death's Head said:

Great stuff. Still got it. Also I’d forgotten how much I love Kaneda’s pink polo, beige chino and white trainer combo.

Yes, so I'm not the only one who felt this way then!!

Saw it last night for the first time in god knows how long at the Everyman with my bestie; we've known each other since childhood and probably watched it for the first time together at 1am on the Sci-Fi channel so watching it in the cinema in 4K simultaneously felt like a coming home and a fresh, new experience.

I forgot how over-the-top violent it is, there's something very satisfying about watching the side of a man's face disintegrate in a streak of scarlet.

Was the 4K print good?  I can definitely 'spot the difference' between HD and 4K on my TV at home but in a blind taste test I could not have told you that what I watched was 4K or not.

From that video, the Remastered edition looks badly compressed, but the 4K edition looks like it has some kind of smudgy filter applied, removing noise, but making everything look a bit wrong and artificial.

I'll stick with my double VHS copy.*

* (that I threw out years ago)

2 hours ago, DjSatansfur3h said:

Hm, can you explain?

Without trying to get really fucking nerdy and boring about it, they used noise reduction to reduce the amount of grain in the image. 

Which is fine for some of it, (some of it looks like it was animated yesterday), but Akira has a fuck load of shots that aren't in sharp focus.

These shots now look like trying to watch a film while wearing someone elses's glasses, and not at all pleasant. 

38 minutes ago, Steve McQueef said:

Without trying to get really fucking nerdy and boring about it, they used noise reduction to reduce the amount of grain in the image. 

Which is fine for some of it, (some of it looks like it was animated yesterday), but Akira has a fuck load of shots that aren't in sharp focus.

These shots now look like trying to watch a film while wearing someone elses's glasses, and not at all pleasant. 

This. Noise removal on this is a crime against cinema. They may have well as up-rezzed it to 60fps.

Surely they would have used the same master for the 4K cinema release as they used for the UHD disc version?

Can’t see why they’d master it again so soon after the UHD disc came out in Japan. My take is that this theatrical release is a dual-purpose a) promotional beat for the non-Japan disc release’s campaign and b) additional bite of the revenue cherry - not dissimilar to other cinema-then-home-video releases

4 hours ago, Steve McQueef said:

So I noticed that, almost like the screen has been smeared in vasaline. I thought it was just me.

Also noticed some oddities on the soundtrack, but I'm not sure if it was just the theatre I was in, a new mix, or that I've only heard it on a shit setup before.

15 hours ago, Steve McQueef said:

They've been fucking about with the audio for years, but yes, the new 2020 remix is awful:

I think you're wrong. I thought the new audio was great. It's fuller and deeper. The crowd scenes are a lot clearer. 

But there you go. 

10 hours ago, Sidewaysbob said:

I think you're wrong. I thought the new audio was great. It's fuller and deeper. The crowd scenes are a lot clearer. 

But there you go. 

It was mostly. But real oddities, like where the buildings are crumbling and falling into the water, it used to be as long as I could remember, a delicate mix of crashing and music.

At the cinema it was very much "BRRRRRKKKKKSSSSHHHHHHH" and not much else.

Ditto the bit where they're chasing the clown gang and the biker goes through the restaurant window. Could barely hear the chanting of the soundtrack over anything else.

• 2 months later...

If you bought the recent UHD SDR release in the UK, email Funimation and they'll send out an HDR replacement disc in Feb:

https://www.funimation.com/blog/2020/12/22/akira-4k-hdr-disc-replacement-how-to-limited-edition/

Having done plenty of comparison, I ended up mostly preferring this to the standard BD. The DNR isn't great, but going back to the BD it seems pretty dirty/noisy and the colours are muted in comparison. I guess I'll always have both.