Xenosaga Goes Polymorphic

Ed-E

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, it's pretty unlikely, even with this 4-hour bonus DVD thing that they're releasing with Episode 2. Nobody is going to want to sit and have to watch 4 hours worth of story before they even start, are they?

I hope Xenosaga

I'd watch the 4 hours worth of story, hell, if I can watch the 3 Lord of the Rings films, Xenosaga Ep 1 should be easy!

Seeing as I never got round to going through the whole of Ep1, it would be nice to actually see the whole story without having to start it again from the begining as I lost my save games to an angry dog who chewed my memory card up while at my friends house :lol:.

I just hope XS anime gets fansubbed, I could live with that.

I'd watch the 4 hours worth of story, hell, if I can watch the 3 Lord of the Rings films, Xenosaga Ep 1 should be easy!

Seeing as I never got round to going through the whole of Ep1, it would be nice to actually see the whole story without having to start it again from the begining as I lost my save games to an angry dog who chewed my memory card up while at my friends house :lol:.

I just hope XS anime gets fansubbed, I could live with that.

Everything gets subbed. I'd say around Saturday will be when it's done.

Just watched the anime. Its made me want to play Xenosaga again though :lol: The artwork actually reminds me a lot of the more 'realistic anime stylings' of Xenosaga 2. See here:

Click For Spoiler
KOS-MOS in the anime:

xskosmos.JPG

KOS-MOS in Xenosaga 2:

xs2kosmos.JPG

Cant wait for XS2 now, I may pick it up on release, even though I'll be way too busy to actually play it, atleast I'll be able to put it on my shelf alongside the growing collection of unplayed games.

Xenosaga 1 is one of my favourite RPGs ever and I can't wait for the second in the series and I'll get it on launch, should keep me occupied for most of February and if doesn't there's always KOTOT2 to play.

After that I think I'll play Suikoden3, been on my shelf for months unplayed, and then maybe pick up Suikoden4.

I never had a NTSC capable Playstation I presume the original Xenogears is still worth picking up and playing?

Xenosaga 1 is one of my favourite RPGs ever and I can't wait for the second in the series and I'll get it on launch, should keep me occupied for most of February and if doesn't there's always KOTOT2 to play.

After that I think I'll play Suikoden3, been on my shelf for months unplayed, and then maybe pick up Suikoden4.

I never had a NTSC capable Playstation I presume the original Xenogears is still worth picking up and playing?

It's better than Xenosaga ep 1. FACT.

What do you mean by a PSOne that can't do NTSC? Don't you mean your TV can't? :o

And for anyone thinking of downloading the anime. DON'T. It's absolutely gobsmackingly horrendous. Looks wrong, cheap and nasty. The music's utterly fucking horrible, too.

"Shion!" *CUE DRAMATIC MUSIC!!!* "Hello, Alan." *CUE DRAMATIC MUSIC!!!* "Hi!" etc.

GAWDSAKES.

It's better than Xenosaga ep 1. FACT.

What do you mean by a PSOne that can't do NTSC? Don't you mean your TV can't? :D

Perhaps I worded that wrong. What I meant is that I never had a playstation capable of playing US games.

My US PS2 is the first console I've imported so I can now get around to playing the Playstation RPGs that weren't released in Europe like Xenogears and Chronocross :o

So what is the game about as I don't know anything about this rpg series. I don't like Final Fanstay games. Not sure if I like RPG or not.

I like Zelda games.

"Do you like cutscenes?" is the question you should be asking yourself when you're considering Xenosaga - Episode 1 has over 7-and-a-half hours worth (I would roughly say about 25% of the time you'll be playing the game will be watching cutscenes). They're all subtitled.

Thanks for the torrent link, guys - I'm looking forward to it. I gave up on Meh's opinion aa~ges ago <_<

Just played a little bit of it for the first time now(Xenosaga Ep1 that is) and I like it. The first cutscene was very impressive and I quite liked the music as well. Personally I don't mind sitting through lengthy cutscenes, so it looks like I could be in for a real treat with this game.

What do you guys think of the music in the game? I mean I haven't played it for very long but the music I've heard is good.

Perhaps I worded that wrong. What I meant is that I never had a playstation capable of playing US games.

My US PS2 is the first console I've imported so I can now get around to playing the Playstation RPGs that weren't released in Europe like Xenogears and Chronocross :lol:

You obviously never tried disc-swapping, then <_<

Just played a little bit of it for the first time now(Xenosaga Ep1 that is) and I like it. The first cutscene was very impressive and I quite liked the music as well. Personally I don't mind sitting through lengthy cutscenes, so it looks like I could be in for a real treat with this game.

What do you guys think of the music in the game? I mean I haven't played it for very long but the music I've heard is good.

Xenosaga ep 1 has gorgeous music, just like Xenogears before it.

I have to say I agree with Meh, the Xenosaga anime seems to be a horrid show. Maybe I love the game so damn much, but I kept thinking to myself while watching "Should have kept the same music, character designs and not change any of the story about."

I know it's not fair on the show, but when you're comparing an adapted work to the original It's only natural to compare the two.

The artwork in the ending though is lovely and is alot closer to the game.

Blimey, the anime is pretty awful.

They've tried to cram far too much into a short space of time, so there's fa~ar too much unsubtle exposition. The music is awful, the 2D animation is woeful (although the 3D Gnosis ships were really nice, much better than the amorphous blobs they were in Episode 1).

Case in point: KOS-MOS' awakening. It's supposed to be quite a scary moment in the game - KOS-MOS, who we by this point know as being responsible for the activation incident all those years ago and the subsequent death of Kevin, has woken herself up and managed to interfere with all the ship's systems. The game, coupled with Mitsuda's excellent score, makes this scene tense and exciting, we don't know what she's going to do when she awakens. The anime makes it more like a triumphant "she's here!", and it's rubbish.

The writing is sub-par and the direction is way-off. Absolutely nothing compared to the game. And it's a fucking retelling of a game we've all already played! Why oh why oh why?

I thought the anime was pretty fun. Second episode was just released at http://www.animeyuki.com/xenosaga.php . Hope noone minds me topping the old post but thought some people might find it helpful ;)

Also often its a good idea to give an anime a few episodes to get going, I find.

Trust me, it won't get any better. TOEI will whore it, and whore it, and whore it...

I thought the anime was pretty fun. Second episode was just released at http://www.animeyuki.com/xenosaga.php . Hope noone minds me topping the old post but thought some people might find it helpful ;)

Also often its a good idea to give an anime a few episodes to get going, I find.

Actually, I must admit to finding it more enjoyable this time around, but the closing song still sounds like one of the worst excuses for music ever.

What's interesting, though, is how they're diverging from the Episode 1 storyline - I mean yeah, it's pretty similar, but there's a few significant changes:

Click For Spoiler
  • Firstly, Cherenkov dies before the Woglinde blows up - so that's his entire (excellent) side-story axed. I suppose it was to cut down on the time, but it's a shame, as it was really intriguing in the game
  • Albedo is introduced *much* earlier. Before the Woglinde explodes he does something funny to a 100-Series Realian (nothing to do with it's fanny though, thankfully)
  • Liutenant Virgil, the DME addict accidentally killed by KOS-MOS in the Zohar Hanger, isn't killed in the anime.
    Click For Spoiler
    Which makes sense, considering he pops up again at the end of Episode 1...

When did he pop up in episode 1 I didn't notice that (you mean the game presumably)?

I'm kinda enjoying this - 20minutes isn't a great loss to me and it is kinda fun being reminded of stuff.

Albedo is introduced too early I think - but it was nice seeing him pick up random Realian 100 series that is used later.

I keep reading all this bad news about the people behind the story leaving everything - what does this mean for the game? Are we never going to see the other bits of the story? :lol:

A good proportion of you will probably already have read this but, according to Gamecentral, the writer of both Episode I and II has left Namco in a bit of a huff after being told she wasn't required for writing duties on further games in the series, as originally planned.

A good proportion of you will probably already have read this but, according to Gamecentral, the writer of both Episode I and II has left Namco in a bit of a huff after being told she wasn't required for writing duties on further games in the series, as originally planned.

Are they still going to continue the series past episode2 using different writers or stop making the games?

Are they still going to continue the series past episode2 using different writers or stop making the games?

I think she left of her own accord due to the fact that other writers were already working on the next episode.

At least that was the impression I got from GC.

I think she left of her own accord due to the fact that other writers were already working on the next episode.

At least that was the impression I got from GC.

I haven't heard this. I'll check it out.

I wouldn't worry too much if it's a "she", though - the whole Xenogears/saga universe is the brainchild of Tetsuya Takahashi, who also directed Episode 1 (but not, by the looks of things, Episode 2). So, I wouldn't worry too much until he leaves.

I haven't heard this. I'll check it out.

I wouldn't worry too much if it's a "she", though - the whole Xenogears/saga universe is the brainchild of Tetsuya Takahashi, who also directed Episode 1 (but not, by the looks of things, Episode 2). So, I wouldn't worry too much until he leaves.

Well apparently "she" is called Soraya Saga who is Takahashi's wife and apparently she is responsible for the some of the writing in Xenogears and helped with the creation of the saga unvierse. Bear in mind that this is not something I know myself, it was just something I found out from the gaming-age forums, so it may or may not be true.