Xenosaga Goes Polymorphic

Ed-E

I read that Takahashi was demoted and a lot of his hand picked staff kicked off after Episode 1 didn't meet sales targets - Monolith then reworked ep2 to be more attractive to NA players, as they were the ones who bought it. Episode 3 will only happen if it sells ok I think. All smells a bit of corporate bullshit :rolleyes:

Well apparently "she" is called Soraya Saga who is Takahashi's wife and apparently she is responsible for the some of the writing in Xenogears and helped with the creation of the saga unvierse. Bear in mind that this is not something I know myself, it was just something I found out from the gaming-age forums, so it may or may not be true.

Yup. It's been confirmed on the Zenosaga.com forums. Her website shows that she cooperated with her husband on the writing for Xenogears, Xenosaga Episode I and Xenosaga: Pied Piper. She says that she did a script for Xenosaga Episode II that was 'substantially adapted' by MONOLITHSOFT.

What's really interesting is her website's FAQ section:

Q. How could you desert the series? You Traitor! (01/19/05)

A. I never did. A couple of years ago, the new team had decided to refresh the series. Simply I was one of the people not invited to new voyage.

Q. Why could you make such a stupid decision to leave? (01/19/05)

A. It is not my decision. Supposedly previous story I wrote did not appeal to the new team's taste. I'm working on freelance basis. If clients say they don't need my work anymore, that's all. No conflicts, no quarrels there were.

Q. What's new with the refreshed episodes after you left? (01/20/05)

A. Official announcements read that it has a new look, new sounds, easier story to read, more explosions.

Q. Whose idea is that changeover? (01/20/05)

A. Commonly it is for the game director to decide. New episodes after the first one have a new director as it is officially known.

Q. Do you have a marital problem? (01/20/05)

A. No. Our relationship is very very peaceful. Isn't it too personal question?

Q. Are you Mr. Kunihiko Tanaka? Or are you related to other Tanaka artists? (01/20/05)

A. No. I am Soraya Saga (the pen name) a.k.a. Kaori Tanaka (the birth name) and Mrs. Takahashi. Tanaka is very popular surname in Japan.

Q. May I ask you a question about your spouse? (01/21/05)

A. Sorry. I can't make any comment about his business.

Thank you for your support to the game. But I wonder why people suddenly have an interest in the matter. (Japanese game-players have known it in the summer of 2004.) Please refrain from overestimating my abilities. I'm just one writer. Episode II and III may have talented people of their own.

Lastly, I want to thank you all who sent me heartwarming messages. I had lost confidence in my own ability in past several years. Your messages brought me a pleasant surprise and they have let me know that a lot of people are loving the game.

It seems that she was 'fired' during Episode II's development, so I think this explains the new looks of the characters, etc. I'd always assumed Takahashi-san didn't write/direct Episode II because he didn't want to, and supervised it all instead... but I wonder if this stuff about him being demoted too is true... if it is, that must be horrible for him, to be told that his story, his universe, isn't good enough...

Thing is, Episode I sold relatively well in Japan, so I'm not sure if I trust this 'Americanized' stance. Episode II did flop compared to it's predecessor, though, so I wouldn't expect them to continue this trend for the next one.

:blink:

Nice to have some of that confirmed.

@Hackign: The apparently game sold better in North America than it did in Japan, where I think the game fell short of the sales expectations, which is maybe why they tried to cater more to American tastes with this one? :blink:

Ed : I think its just that it didn't sell very well, and that despite his writing abilities, Takahashi's management/production abilities are poor - budget stuff and things. This is all heresay though really. I do hold you personally responsible though; for my part, I only played the first game recently and now my hopes of a (decent) conclusion are dashed.

Ed : I think its just that it didn't sell very well, and that despite his writing abilities, Takahashi's management/production abilities are poor - budget stuff and things. This is all heresay though really.

Hmmm. I wish I could find some figures somewhere but I'm coming up with nothing. I did find this at RPGFan, though:

Namco was decidedly pleased with the sales and how well-received Xenosaga Episode I was – both in Japan and America. According to Namco, at least two more of the six total Xenosaga episodes can be expected to make their way overseas. This is especially true if Episode II hits off as well as it’s projected to.

There’s always a concern whether or not all six installments will make it to North American shores, especially with the upcoming wave of next-generation consoles. Namco is unable to make any definitive promises but, we have the word of numerous people within their employment that all measures to complete the series in its entirety will be taken.

Hmmmm... I guess that could be Namco putting a positive spin on things though...

I do hold you personally responsible though; for my part, I only played the first game recently and now my hopes of a (decent) conclusion are dashed.

Hahaha. Sorry!