I've Just Found An Outrun Cabinet

Jairus

i'm gonna stick my willy in the coin slot tomorrow night :P

:huh:

Aye, on that note - I think i'll be having a little get together tommorow night - so if any of you forumites want to come and have a look at my find (and play some outrun 2) you're more than welcome. It'll also make up for the fact that myself and bpempire couldn't get to the official hull meet last weekend. I know it's short notice but the offer's there!

I can't see any power cables so i'm assuming it should have a pc/kettle socket somewhere - any ideas where this is?

My OR cab has a cable which connects directly to the PSU (no kettle lead connector), which you can find on the bottom of the cab if you look at it from the back.

Perhaps the cable has been ripped out?

If you need me to look in the back of my cab to take photos you may have to wait until Sunday.

As for the weight of the machine. OR is the heaviest cab I have had to move. It took 5 of my mates to help me get mine up some stairs many years ago. These days it sits in the dining room.

I'll be amazed if this machine works first time, but you'll probably find that it only requires a quick fix.

Rob

Ok.

Moved the machine into my lounge tonight. Found the power cable (attached to a big silver box - i'm assuming that the PSU, or it could be a stepdown convertor?) and plugged it in.

No luck i'm afraid! Everything seems to be in there, plus I also found a large jiffy bag with spare springs, bolts and a few other parts! THe machine is very dusty inside - I probably think it not working has something to do with that.

So what are my options here robert?

Ok.

Moved the machine into my lounge tonight. Found the power cable (attached to a big silver box - i'm assuming that the PSU, or it could be a stepdown convertor?) and plugged it in.

No luck i'm afraid! Everything seems to be in there, plus I also found a large jiffy bag with spare springs, bolts and a few other parts! THe machine is very dusty inside - I probably think it not working has something to do with that.

So what are my options here robert?

Well, you *could* go over it with a multimeter and see where the problem is, but I wouldn't recommend it :)

I'm afraid i've no real prior experience with multimeters so that's a bit out of the question - what exactly would 'going over it' entail?

checking that you're getting volts/amps off the PSU

DISCLAIMER:

forget I mentioned it. Just listen for a hummmmmmm :)

If you count an electrician amongst your mates, this is the time to call on their help.

Or, we might have a Spark who lives near Hull on the forum. Try ATF for that.

I have a computer technician and a programmer amonsgt my friends - but I also know a few people who may have contacts.

I would have thought that someone with specific knowledge of arcade circutry would be needed. I wish mr hazelby lived nearer to here!

I have a computer technician and a programmer amonsgt my friends - but I also know a few people who may have contacts.

I would have thought that someone with specific knowledge of arcade circutry would be needed. I wish mr hazelby lived nearer to here!

I've got a cabinet that hasn't worked in over a year, and I think it's just down to the power supply. I haven't got the balls to fix it myself, and now it just sits there, dead, making me feel sad.

Don't be like me!

Jairus, don't panic.

It was unlikely that the machine was going to work first time anyway. After all, why would it be skipped if it worked?

Ok, when you plug the machine in, does the monitor power-up?

It does sound initially like a PSU problem, but can't be 100% sure.

What I would suggest doing is joining up to UKVAC (United Kingdom Video Arcade Collectors) list (http://www.ukvac.com/) and asking on there if there's anyone who's willing to test your cab PSU for you.

There may be someone close to you who has an OR cab, or someone who will let you post it to them to check.

Get on UKVAC and get asking the questions. There are loads of OR owners on there.

Rob

p.s- Biglime. re - your PSU problems. If it's s bog standard JAMMA cab, get along to the Swallow Amusements web site. They have a 15Amp Switch Mode PSU for £29.25. You can get to it from here: http://www.coin.demon.co.uk/-video.htm#psu

I have a computer technician and a programmer amonsgt my friends

Yeah i'm a computer Technician not a Leccytrician!

I aint going in no arcade machine fool!

I will try making it work by kicking it though if you like!

:: on a side note: WTF Phils ment to be poor he cant come back to Hull every time something interestings going on can he :)

Not that i'm complaining, i love u Phil!!!

I'll be selling the blighter if I can't find a way of getting it working. It's a nice (large) ornament at the moment and nothing more!

As I said in an early post "Get yourself over to UKVAC and start asking questions on there".

There's bound to be a fellow OutRunner not too far away from you.

Rob

As I said in an early post "Get yourself over to UKVAC and start asking questions on there".

There's bound to be a fellow OutRunner not too far away from you.

Rob

I've emailed people on UKVAC but i've had no reply. There doesen't seem to be a forum where I can leave a community-wide plea for help!