IGNORED

Killzone Impressions Thread

Eighthours

they both do exactly the same thing! one just does every conceivable element of it far better than the other.

IMO you can't really recommend KZ over Halo 2 on any basis, let alone 'what type of fps it is', because it's almost identical in what it tries to achieve. difference being, it failed. horribly. if you really think it's a better fps, fine, but I just find that completely bizarre. it's vastly inferior to Halo 2 in every measurable way as far as I can see.

and yes Andy, I have played it. although it was while at work, and I'd have had more fun just carrying on working instead! :)

At the end of the day, arguments like this will boil down to a few thinly spread points, sandwiched between a thousand IMO's. All I know is I get very different kicks from playing Halo than I do Killzone. To me they have extremely different play styles, very different atmosphere's, and force very different tactics.

You've obviously made your mind up about Killzone, and fair enough, but I stand by my apples and oranges argument. I enjoy the grittyness of Killzone over Halo 2's plastified shine, and I enjoy being jabbed in the eye with pencils more than I do fighting the Flood.

Just for the record, I'm not saying KillZone is the better FPS, just that I'm enjoying it a hell of lot, the fact that I remain disappointed with Halo 2 is a totally separate issue.

EDIT: Just had a bloody fantastic hour on it, getting through the train station has been brilliant fun. Really, better than what, on what format...who gives a shit. I put my 60 euros down and came home with an excellent game. Mission accomplished as far as I'm concerned ;)

they're in the park level, big anti-aircraft type things that make a hell of a racket.

Click For Spoiler
you have to take out helghast operating the two guns then you commandeer one of them to to wipe out the swathes of troopers that follow. i just tried to keep under cover a lot in the park level, crouching behind bunkers, walls trees etc, and used mainly scoped weapons. grenades can also come in handy because of the bunkers.
Click For Spoiler

nice blossom on the tress on that level!

My interest in getting through the park level is now piqued! Christ will I ever get through it?

I too was trying your guerilla (pun intended) tactics but to no avail. I chose Luger for the previous level and I'm stuck with her for park.

Now's the time to tell me that I should've chosen the other one......

Oh and yes, nice blossom....... :)

Right, just got through the park and I think Rico turned up with his big gun. Have to say that that Park level was really good. Dodging from tree to tree, taking out the anti aircraft guns and then turning them on the Helghast... all good stuff. Best level so far by miles. Nice and open too. Pretty trees as well (just to join in, like) :(.

Dodging from tree to tree, taking out the anti aircraft guns and then turning them on the Helghast... all good stuff.

T'was indeed great fun. They really have the P.O.V. stuff nailed in KillZone too. The way each character climbs ladders and gets into those massive gun turrets is all superbly done. There is some great cat and mouse gameplay to come too.

Finally got past the park level and met up with Rico. Those AA guns were indeed frightening. That's one of the main things I like about Killzone, the great feel to the weapons in general.

Onwards and upwards. Can't wait to see what lies in store......

I'm also glad that I didn't take the Eurogamer review to heart........ :angry:

Give it a shot you might like it!

Only played the demo of it, but the point of view stuff is definately a leap above every other FPS out there- the way the camera moves when you do pretty much anything is right.

It reminds me of Riddick in that sense. Just got the to big plaza bit with the dropshps and people coming out of them. I have to say it does have some tense battles.

i've now reached the jungle level, which straight after a beach landing one seems as though they're trying to cram in every FPS stereotype they can think of. some work better than others and here we reach a kind of future Vietnam. and boy have i hit a MASSIVE difficulty spike. visibility is poor due to steam and humidity (done very well, the whole level is very 'sepia' almost b&w at times), and there's little cover save for the odd tree and shrub as you wade through a river. enemies can seemingly come out of nowhere armed with heavy machine guns and even grenade launchers which can result in instant death. you have to take this level slowly and i've yet to reach a checkpoint. i've attempted it three times and died - at probably around 15 minutes a go. turned it off now.

i'm playing on normal difficulty btw. anyone got past this bit yet?

i'm playing on normal difficulty btw. anyone got past this bit yet?

Jeez, I'm only just past the level from the demo. Guess I have this to look forward to! I'm on normal too.........

Sounds like a right barst of a level then Andy. Which character are you at this stage? Would choosing another make a difference?

Instant deaths sounds nice, too. :lol:

have you done the mall level yet? i thought that was fantastic. i love the banter between Rico and Hacker (sp) too.

Nope only finished the level where you meet him at the end. I take it the mall is the next one?

I love that Helghast heavy machine gun that looks like it came from WW2.

I've yet to sample the delights of Rico's pea shooter........