Xbox Operation Flashpoint

Zero

I'm itching to get this now. I'm no PC gamer by far, and my biggest gripe was all the controls I needed to remember, to the point where even the developers knew it was a pain because they included that little cardboard stand-up with all the commands on it. Hopefully it should be reasonably simple and piss off all the purests and keep me happy. Because i'm selfish like that.

SNES?

It's excellent on the PC, but very very hard.  Coz it's a Sim.

Can't wait to play it on Live! co-op though, it's more my sort of game than Halo 2 or even Ghost Recon..

Yeah, well, animation wise it feels like a SNES game. I thought it was utterly, utterly dire. I didn't play the PC version, is this supposed to be an improvement?

Maybe it hasn't aged very well then. This thread has convinced me to re-install it. I've been meaning to try it on my new PC for about a year now.

I think if they've not improved it at all since the original release, it's going to seem pretty naff.

As i've said previously in this thread, the game world is still one of the most realistic available. The essence of the area is captured perfectly, and is vast. If the models have been spruced up a bit and there are a few effects going on it will look just fine. The videos look OK to me.

Hmmm, interesting. See, I thought this game was one of the worst of this generation, and I wasn't alone in thinking this. Awful, awful graphics and animation too. It feels like a last generation SNES conversion or a first generation PS1 one.

a bit over exaggerated don't you think?

Yeah, well, animation wise it feels like a SNES game. I thought it was utterly, utterly dire. I didn't play the PC version, is this supposed to be an improvement?

Never really noticed that first time around.

Sounds like Ghost Recon 1 on Xbox/Cube, they use animated sprites for the deaths - THAT looks like a SNES :P

I hope they haven't made the saving feature more lenient. Half of the brilliance of Flashpoint was feeling so vulnerable and having to survive for a whole mission, it really made you feel like a real soldier. You got only one save per level on the PC version, hope that sticks on the Xbox one.

The controls in Operation Flashpoint: Elite are exceptionally well thought out. Being a huge fan of the genre and having played most games it has to offer, in my opinion Operation Flashpoint: Elite has the best most intuitive use of the Xbox controller in a FPS to date. The aiming system is also very tight, it is not too hard to shoot targets at distance and doesn't take very long to line them up either. The iron sight view is very easy to use and a slight pull of the Right Trigger steadies your aim (if you have got the time). There is an auto-aim adjustment (dependent on difficulty level) but unlike some games I didn't feel like the game was aiming for me. No ludicrous shot adjustments, just smart compensation for lower resolution and touchy Thumbsticks...

Not only that, but once the map is loaded you will not see another loading screen until the mission ends. And even then they are so short you will not have enough time to read the on-screen tips as you wait! The level of optimisation is a fitting tribute to three years development time well spent. The graphics have certainly been improved from the original and quite a few Xbox only graphical touches have been added to the mix such as Depth of Field (variable camera focus effects) and High Dynamic Range Lighting (a more realistic method of simulating light sources in games). On a clear day, the visual distance is enormous and easily accommodates the range of even the most far reaching weapons. The frame rate is stable but don’t expect it to rise above 30 fps and when flying in one of the games many aircraft it is clear that the Xbox is being pushed to the limit of its capabilities as the frame rate can become a little jerky.

Sounds like a fantastic port and I can't wait to play this as I always prefer playing on a console opposed to a PC.

It's strange that everyone always says graphics dont matter as long as the game is good and when the game in question is a port people start moaning :lol:

It looks fantastic and the sense of being there is unparalled.

The PC version is one of the greatest games ever made, no question.

For sure. I still remember that mission early on where you're cut off from your squad and surrounded by Russian troops. Attempting to make it back to base was one of the most tense and enjoyable gaming experiences I've ever had.

Me and my friend used to link up between his PC and my laptop and play multiplayer games and we used to play one level in flashpoint only.

You start on a hill and you then lead down to a small village with a T junction in the middle. You had to destrioy the incomming UAV and tank and then save the outgoing soilders. Once that was done you had to take out the remaining village which was te enemy stronghold.

It took us over 1 and a half years to complete that through college. That was about once every 2 weeks for 4 hours a day, we even used to plan the mission at college. Happy days!

I hope they haven't made the saving feature more lenient. Half of the brilliance of Flashpoint was feeling so vulnerable and having to survive for a whole mission, it really made you feel like a real soldier. You got only one save per level on the PC version, hope that sticks on the Xbox one.

From the looks of the manual you can "save your game at any time you wish". However "in Mercenary mode you are ltd to just one save per mission".

If anyone who's got the game has the ability to change their XBox region, I'd very much appreciate it if they'd change the region to USA and try running it. I'll grab a PAL copy if it turns out to be multi-region. it's unlikely, but it will mean I can get on the game a couple of weeks earlier with my Yankee Box.

Online Flashpoint co-op is going to rock my world.

Damn right. I predict an all-nighter, and then some. Unless it's SHIT and BROKEN like Lockdown.

I can't wait to see if it all works as well as the PC version. Having my legs blown off and seeing a rescue chopper trying to find a landing place in all them trees then getting BLOWN UP BY MISSILES AND FALLING ON MY FACE was amazing on the PC version.

You could get your legs blown off, right? Am I just imagining that? It's been a while...

They dont get blown off but you could get wounded in the legs, which would force you to crawl. Maybe thats what you meant though. Seem to remember getting hit in the arms would mess up your aim too, not entirely sure though.

Very excited about getting this game over the next couple of days. It'll be interesting to see how the controls and troop commanding are handled considering the amount of keys needed on the PC version. Who knows, the streamlining of them could be a change for the better. Also hoping the vehicles handle nicely with the Xbox controller, especially the helicopters. Cant wait!

well i havent played the PC version (so i cant really compare it) and i'm just going through the first couple of missions (seizing villages etc) it'll come as no surprise that the gfx are very rough but the game does seem to have bags of atmosphere. I'm enjoying it so far but is very very rough compared to newer stuff (obv) which may put people off.

edit: terrible american accents :) .

Me and my friend used to link up between his PC and my laptop and play multiplayer games and we used to play one level in flashpoint only.

You start on a hill and you then lead down to a small village with a T junction in the middle.  You had to destrioy the incomming UAV and tank and then save the outgoing soilders.  Once that was done you had to take out the remaining village which was te enemy stronghold.

It took us over 1 and a half years to complete that through college.  That was about once every 2 weeks for 4 hours a day, we even used to plan the mission at college.  Happy days!

Man, the first time I tried OFP networked we played that level for a whole weekend. There was a bunch of us taking turns on two networked PCs. We ended up doing it thanks to some seriously audacious planning - we took a jeep and just drove straight into the enemy camp, running over some of the tank crew before leaping out and nicking their tank. Once we had the tank we were unstoppable. A more stealth/reliable variation involved sneaking out of the woods to steal the tank.

Just having chinooks flying overhead, dropping reinforcements off and having various other infantry buzzing around is most cool. The surround sound is really nice too.

Edit: On the mission where i am stranded in the woods. Its a bit tough!