IGNORED

Ea And Goldeneye, Then.

SomeNaiveChump

I've enjoyed an awful lot of EA games. Therefore I hope they keep it up.

OK the latest Bond game is shit but I don't tar their whole catalogue with a single brush. I still like SEGA despite Sonic Heroes, I still like Nintendo despite Smash Bros Melee (and before the obvious it's all opinions) so :o

EA are the TK Max of the videogames industry. This is a good thing.

They are the Dixons of the videogames industry. All their own stuff is shite, but they're alright at selling/publishing other peoples stuff

They are the bad analogy of analogies. It kinda works, but not well enough to justify it's shite status.

And re: original topic, no. Then again, I've never liked EA.

EA were getting better but seem to be on that slipy slope down hill again.

It was horrible to see Rogue Agent just because EoN seemed to be taking Bond games into a different good direction. The worst thing about Rogue Agent is the association with GoldenEye. Nice to see that GoldenEye will be the new brand.

All they needed was a game as good as EoN with Halo style continous play.

Anyway they were getting better SSX, LOTR, Sports 2005 (although out played by Visual Concepts and Konami).

I think that EA in the last four years have made a significant improvement in the quality of their games. A nice example is the difference in quality between James Bond: Agent under Fire > James Bond: Nightfire > James Bond: Everything or Nothing.

I'm not sure what happened this year but Lord of the Rings: The Third Age, Goldeneye: Rogue Agent and Catwoman don't deserve a metacritic rating above 70%. For EA, three of these average-to-poorly quality just aren't acceptable. I do hope that they learn a lot from this because i still believe EA is the #1 company that knows how to bring gaming to a bigger audience. They really should merge with SCE :o

The worst thing about Rogue Agent is the association with  GoldenEye. Nice to see that GoldenEye will be the new brand.

I couldn't really see how that GoldenEye branding was ever going to prove beneficial to EA. Even if it had anything to do with GoldenEye it was still going to present them with a massive hurdle. It's like them bringing out a crappy platformer and pretending it's a sequel to Super Mario 64. Sorry, that was Nintendo with Sunshine... but still... same thing. If you do something like that you're just making life harder for yourself.

Even if it was a good game, people were always going to say it's shit.

I think that EA were good around the 16-bit era and are good when they publish other games (e.g. Soul Calibur 2) but their own games seem to be rather dire, the last decent EA game I enjoyed was Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2. I am tempted to see what Goldeneye: Rogue Agent is like but the only EA created James Bond title I have liked so far is 007: Agent Under Fire. Nothing can compare to Goldeneye on the N64.

EA is the most commercially focussed company in the games-market.

the endless yearly releases of their sports-series are getting pretty tiresome. Especially since every new instalment adds JUST enough over its predecessor to warrant a purchase. Not a drop more.

Cunts. ;)

On the one hand, they've produced some tat this year, like they do every year. It's all polished tat, but tat nevertheless. Most publishers have variable quality in their output, so EA are just like everyone else in that respect.

But when EA are good... they're very very good. Madden 2005 is just wonderful, even without the network play (for which I am regretful, but then American Football is a niche sport over here anyway so I'm not really that surprised). Sims 2 is simply ace, and I can see now I'll still be playing it in 2 years time, expansion packs and everything. Fifa's live play is exemplary, even if the game falls short of PES.

They know how to milk a brand to within an inch of it's life, yes, but that's just their business approach, and they're not alone in doing that; it's basic economics to try and milk a product while ever you're still making money out of it. At the end of the day, nobody makes you buy EA's games, and they're just run by more corporate-minded businessmen than most publishers. I mean, Warner Brothers have put some shit films out this year but we don't brand them as evil and destroying the fun of watching films.

Let's just accept that it's a business reality that large corporate publishers will produce a mixed bag of output; enjoy the good stuff, don't buy the bad stuff. Vote with your wallets. Job done.

I mean, Warner Brothers have put some shit films out this year but we don't brand them as evil and destroying the fun of watching films.

Actually, a couple of years ago, people did think that. The movie fan's natural websites of choice were filled with Warners vitriol, with the usual suspects threatening all kinds of grisly fates for Warners execs, for the way in which they handled fans' beloved IPs. Happily, Warners themselves have instigated a sea-change in the way they handle things, leading to a massive upswing in the company's movies. Just look at the way they've handled Batman Begins, compared to the way in which they handled Batman and Robin.

/film mode.

If only EA would do the same!